Should AVB go if we miss top 4?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know the press have been building us up because of all the 'talent' we brought in over the summer but I am not convinced that there has been much of an improvement and the way I see it Liverpool are a good bet for top four this season so if Manure at least turn it round to a certain degree I can see it ending up ;

1/ Citeh
2/ Woolwich
3/ Chelski
4/Liverpool
5/Manure
6/ US!!!

I know that might sound shockingly pessimistic to some of you but I have watched a lot of football this season and looking at the squads I am not convinced that we are going to make top 4! Do you think if the worst happens, and we miss out again, that AVB should go considering the money he has spent on what I frankly think are a mixed bunch?
Tony-Stark-Eyeroll.gif

He definitely has to do better than liverpool. Because both he nd rodgers are in there second years, at this point rodgers seems to have improved more than avb, and seems to be better tactically. Rodgers also knows wat to do wen the team is playing badly, example switching to 3 5 2 to gain more possesion nd to protect their midfield problem. Avb has yet shown his tacitcal ability. The owners would be pissed after investing so much to not qualify. So basically he is under more pressure than rodgers nd prolly will get fired if he doesn't get top 4. But want to stay so that he can grow with the team.

Said at the start of the season I wouldn't really blame him if we finished 5th again. Yet again we sold our best player in the summer and had no pre-season, and we're still financially behind 4/5 clubs depending on how you look at it.

That said, he'd probably need to win some silverware for it to be an improvement on last season and justify the sackings of Jol, Ramos, and Arry before him.

So my question is when do the excuses stop.

I don't think it's fair to jump all over the OP. he's not clammering or avb to leave but asks a relevant question. Personally I'd rather we didn't change manager again for a little while. Unless you have unlimited money like Chelsea or city then it's going to take at least 3 seasons to see the end product of what he's trying to achieve.
Our fans have to stop worrying what other people say and concentrate on what's best for spurs. It's become a situation where a lot of fans seem to want champions league just because Woolwich, Chelsea fans etc use our non participation as a stick to beat us with.
Football is a money game now. Out of the top 6 teams in the country we probably have the 6th Largest budget. Finishing in the top 4 would still be a huge achievement.
AVB should not be seen as a failure if we don't make CL. Although I think a cup win or at least an fa cup/Europa final would definitely help his cause.

This is what pisses me off the most about talking to other Spurs fans at the moment. Anything which could be remotely construed as criticism of AVB (regardless of whether or not it actually is) is dismissed out of hand with a cry of "TOO NEGATIVE" or "RECORD POINTS TOTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL".

People should be allowed to scrutinize and develop concerns about our style of play, not least when so much has been invested into the squad in such a make-or-break season. Not every frank comment on AVB's management style is an indirect clamour for him to be sacked FFS.

I don't think it's a make-or-break season.

Yeah, 'make or break' was probably the wrong phrase- what I meant to say is the unsettling of the top four (particularly the Manchester clubs) makes attainment of any of the top three places more achievable this season than at any other point in recent PL history.

Yeah, 'make or break' was probably the wrong phrase- what I meant to say is the unsettling of the top four (particularly the Manchester clubs) makes attainment of any of the top three places more achievable this season than at any other point in recent PL history.
We say that every season that "this is the last season little old Tottenham Hotspur can upset the status quo" but I don't quite see it that way. AVB is a lot more pragmatic than Redknapp so there are bound to be a difference in opinion from such polar opposites as managers. Redknapp wanted to entertain first and foremost, it was a fun ride at times but some people seem to forget a relegated Wolves side doing the double over us.

If he doesn't get top 4, I don't think he needs to go. I'd rather we have a decent cup run though, we limped out of all the cups last season.

This is what pisses me off the most about talking to other Spurs fans at the moment. Anything which could be remotely construed as criticism of AVB (regardless of whether or not it actually is) is dismissed out of hand with a cry of "TOO NEGATIVE" or "RECORD POINTS TOTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL".

People should be allowed to scrutinize and develop concerns about our style of play, not least when so much has been invested into the squad in such a make-or-break season. Not every frank comment on AVB's management style is an indirect clamour for him to be sacked FFS.

Agree. Although the irony is the OP was in fact trolling!

I'd settle for a trophy this season instead of the much coveted top 4 spot. Most of our players are very young and i can only see room for improvement in the next years. Patience is the key here.

We say that every season that "this is the last season little old Tottenham Hotspur can upset the status quo" but I don't quite see it that way. AVB is a lot more pragmatic than Redknapp so there are bound to be a difference in opinion from such polar opposites as managers. Redknapp wanted to entertain first and foremost, it was a fun ride at times but some people seem to forget a relegated Wolves side doing the double over us.

If he doesn't get top 4, I don't think he needs to go. I'd rather we have a decent cup run though, we limped out of all the cups last season.

Fair enough- at the end of the day, you're probably taking a far more rational and considered viewpoint than me. I can openly admit that I was never a huge advocate of AVB when we were looking for a Harry replacement, and to this day I still can't quite get past seeing him as one of Europe's greatest technical coaches, but not yet a top-shelf on-pitch manager. Inevitably that has probably clouded my perspective on what this team has achieved under him so far.

I can't deny that the results last season were largely excellent and AVB deserves credit for keeping the ship steady after the summer of 2011, but on the other hand I really found it hard to muster much enthusiasm watching us play over the same period, with us feeling like we were just about scraping through every game, and only outplaying maybe one or two teams all season. Dominating, but not truly threatening team after team. It worries me that I feel exactly the same this season with Christian Eriksen, Erik Lamela, Etienne Capoue, Roberto Soldado and Paulinho now in the side.

I am saddened about how many disagreements I've had with people I disrespect over this issue, but equally I really can't force myself to feel any other way. 15 months in I still feel like AVB is the one everyone wants to become a Spurs legend- the exciting, young coach who builds a legacy at the club- but I just don't see the green shoots yet that suggest this will become a reality.

Week to week it's always the same story- "OK, so we didn't look great today, but the win will give the squad some confidence and the team starts to gel we'll be unstoppable". But then we go and get absolutely turned over 3-0 by West Ham at home. One result, I know, but it's hard to deny that it punctures this 'jam tomorrow' mentality everyone seems to have with AVB right now.

End of the day, I just want the same thing everyone else does- for this club to achieve stable success. I don't think we all have to agree on everything about our manager to share that hope.

Fair enough- at the end of the day, you're probably taking a far more rational and considered viewpoint than me. I can openly admit that I was never a huge advocate of AVB when we were looking for a Harry replacement, and to this day I still can't quite get past seeing him as one of Europe's greatest technical coaches, but not yet a top-shelf on-pitch manager.

I can't deny that the results last season were largely excellent and AVB deserves credit for keeping the ship steady after the summer of 2011, but on the other hand I really found it hard to muster much enthusiasm watching us play over the same period with us feeling like we were just about scraping through every game, and only outplaying maybe one or two teams all season- and it worries me that I feel exactly the same this season with Christian Eriksen, Erik Lamela, Etienne Capoue, Roberto Soldado and Paulinho now in the side.

I am saddened about how many disagreements I've had with people I disrespect over this issue, but equally I really can't force myself to feel any other way. 15 months in I still feel like AVB is the one everyone wants to become a Spurs legend- the exciting, young coach who builds a legacy at the club- but I just don't see the green shoots yet that suggest this will become a reality.

Week to week it's always the same story- "OK, so we didn't look great today, but the win will give the squad some confidence and the team starts to gel we'll be unstoppable". But then we go and get absolutely turned over 3-0 by West Ham at home. One result, I know, but it's hard to deny that it punctures this 'jam tomorrow' mentality everyone seems to have with AVB right now.
I can't see an issue with fans wanting a manager to do well though. Some people don't want to see his failings which I agree with you on. AVB isn't top-shelf but no manager of that ilk was available and likely to take over at that particular time. Will AVB's tenure at Spurs end with him being a legend? Fuck knows.

We outplayed a few sides last season but people are are not pro-AVB conveniently ignore those games and focus on the bad ones. Much like those who say Redknapp knows fuck all about tactics when it was his tactical nous that got us the 3-2 win at the Emirates for example. As ever, the truth is somewhere in between. AVB isn't the greatest manager we'll ever have but he is doing a fairly good job in my view.

I can't see an issue with fans wanting a manager to do well though. Some people don't want to see his failings which I agree with you on. AVB isn't top-shelf but no manager of that ilk was available and likely to take over at that particular time. Will AVB's tenure at Spurs end with him being a legend? Fuck knows.

We outplayed a few sides last season but people are are not pro-AVB conveniently ignore those games and focus on the bad ones. Much like those who say Redknapp knows fuck all about tactics when it was his tactical nous that got us the 3-2 win at the Emirates for example. As ever, the truth is somewhere in between. AVB isn't the greatest manager we'll ever have but he is doing a fairly good job in my view.

Can't really pick fault with any of that tbh.

Whether or not one agrees with a manager's style/tactics I honestly believe that giving them 3/4 years to really impress their ideas on the club will result in more success than employing arguably 'better' managers for 2-3 year periods at a time.

My point is, even if AVB "fails" this year with a 5th/6th place finish and no silverware I would still persevere.

In my deepest heart of hearts, AVB might be like Ranieri was for Chelsea. Good manager but maybe at the final hurdle he'll get replaced. I hope I'm wrong as I really like AVB, as I said earlier, no one really knows what the future holds. I can't see him getting sacked unless we monumentally fuck up which I don't forsee this season at least.

In my deepest heart of hearts, AVB might be like Ranieri was for Chelsea. Good manager but maybe at the final hurdle he'll get replaced. I hope I'm wrong as I really like AVB, as I said earlier, no one really knows what the future holds. I can't see him getting sacked unless we monumentally fuck up which I don't forsee this season at least.

I mean, it's pretty easy to imagine an alternative scenario- one where the recent history of the club repeats itself. Highly-rated, technically renowned European coach comes in and has a 'continental style' (hate that phrase) put in place for him with a Director of Football. We lose our best player going in to his second season, but have a number of expensive new players (including a record signing) brought in with the money we get from the deal. Results still go south, everyone revolts against the management hierarchy and calls for a return to the 'good old fashioned way of doing things'- an English manager at the helm, one with a reputation for decent man-management and a looser commitment to 'tactics'.

When I was constructing this fantasy scenario in my mind the other day, the only person out there I could think of who fits that bill is Alan Pardew. This hypothetical ends up with Alan Pardew managing Spurs.

Not sure that's a series of developments I'd be especially thrilled about.

I mean, it's pretty easy to imagine an alternative scenario- one where the recent history of the club repeats itself. Highly-rated, technically renowned European coach comes in and has a 'continental style' (hate that phrase) put in place for him with a Director of Football. We lose our best player going in to his second season, but have a number of expensive new players (including a record signing) brought in with the money we get from the deal. Results still go south, everyone revolts against the management hierarchy and calls for a return to the 'good old fashioned way of doing things'- an English manager at the helm, one with a reputation for decent man-management and a looser commitment to 'tactics'.

When I was constructing this fantasy scenario in my mind the other day, the only person out there I could think of who fits that bill is Alan Pardew. This hypothetical ends up with Alan Pardew managing Spurs.

Not sure that's a series of developments I'd be especially thrilled about.
that's effectively what happened when Ramos fucked up and we brought in Redknapp. If that scenario plays out again then it may well be Pardew, I can't see a repeat at this stage though but stranger things have happened.

that's effectively what happened when Ramos fucked up and we brought in Redknapp. If that scenario plays out again then it may well be Pardew, I can't see a repeat at this stage though but stranger things have happened.

Agreed, I think it would have to be a pretty monumental fuck-up for people to swing that far away from the current direction the club is heading in (which generally seems to be pretty popular with the fanbase). Something like a 5-0 home defeat to a local rival to knock us out of the top 6 late in the season, with AVB storming out of the subsequent press conference after grabbing his crotch and telling the fans to "manage this".

I can understand fans questioning what is happening, but are we forgetting that even with the upheaval that has taken place in the summer, that even with this new squad of players we're still at least within touching distance of the top. We are three points away from the Woolwich. We aren't playing amazingly but we have still ground out some results whilst these players are still finding their feet. I was disappointed as anyone that we lost to the Spammers in the manner that we did. However Football isn't a predictable game and Woolwich, Manure, Dippers, Shitty and Chavs will all have off days as well.

Ramos had 2 points from 8 games, whereas we have 13 from 7 already. I don't think AVB should go if we don't make the top 4. He clearly is a better coach than the last four that we have had.

Back
Top Bottom