Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am guilty of thinking we had a decent replacement for Kyle. But after seeing three or so appearances from him, I immediately knew this fucker was bat shit insane and far too egotistical to fight for his teammates.

The Mane foul was down to his shit defending to begin with. He was burned and was stretching to make up for it, which he did, until he relaxed.

He is so fucking selfish that I want to personally buy KWP for my Portland FC team, which doesn’t even exist, just so I can show the kid he has some backing. Fuck me, I just don’t see how you can keep awarding ineptness.

Honestly mate, I do appreciate we are Spurs fans, but you need to take off your Lilywhite tinted glasses. Lamela was never in control of the ball and in fact what I see is him running into Van Dijks leg who is pretty much trying to withdraw from the effort to make contact with the ball. Lamela is actually moving away from the ball.

giphy.gif

On the other hand, as unlucky as Serge was, he actively swings his foot into Mané's calf, and he was actually moving toward the ball at least making an effort to garner control of it.
Neither one is a penalty. Both VVD and Aurier are stopping themselves from kicking the ball when they realise the opponent will get in the way. In both cases, Lamela and Mane are trying to get an undeserved pen and they get it.

Piling on him for yesterday is wrong.

When he started the motion of the kick, Mane wasn't there.

It's not on Serge.
I can't believe so many people think it's a legitimate pen. Possession of the ball, looking at the ball, actively kicking the ball, and at the last second Mane happens to put his foot in the way of a kick so he gets the pen?

giphy.gif

As a player you have the right to put any part of your body between the ball and the opponent, no?

If an opponent hits a part of your body instead of the ball, it's a free kick, no?

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.
  • Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off
A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
  • a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • bites or spits at someone
  • throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object

Again, the situation would probably not been there in the first place if it wouldn't be for him. It's an idea of positioning, knowing your limits. Knowing your opponents. Aurier failed on all this in the situation.
He is not good enough as we all know, what's the alternative? KWP is OK but Poch doesn't trust him obviously. Foyth is very similar to Serge, he got sent off and gave pens in the past. Sissoko will be good but we need him in the midfield. Or make shift Dier who again is a suspect and can not go forward and provide crosses because he is a CD or DM but is a safe bet.

He didn't pay attention to anyone else around him because he was in the middle of kicking a ball. Is that his fault?
Yeah, not sure what the point of spelling out the rules was, we all know what the rules are if we play the game and watch the game, rules are wishy-washy and vague af anyways. You could get penalized for sticking your foot in front of somebody kicking the ball as well. Not to mention Mane stuck his foot in from BEHIND Aurier, there's no way you see and avoid kicking that if you don't have eyes on the balls of your feet or something.

Honestly mate, I do appreciate we are Spurs fans, but you need to take off your Lilywhite tinted glasses. Lamela was never in control of the ball and in fact what I see is him running into Van Dijks leg who is pretty much trying to withdraw from the effort to make contact with the ball. Lamela is actually moving away from the ball.

giphy.gif

On the other hand, as unlucky as Serge was, he actively swings his foot into Mané's calf, and he was actually moving toward the ball at least making an effort to garner control of it.
Fair enough, I did say at a stretch. But I still maintain Lamela has got his body between ball and VVD.

Mane hasn't got his body between ball and Auirer, he's put his leg in there (his body is still behind Aurier) this is the fundamental difference, it's also why the more I see it the more I see a foul on Aurier, he's made no attempt to win the ball, none.

Last edited:
On one side you have people calling a player “stupid” as if an ad hominem attack on someone’s intelligence as a person will have anything other than a negative effect on public perception of them as a player...

On another side you have extremely uncharitable refereeing where a player is never given the benefit of the doubt.

You combine these and you get “Fair enough, Aurier did 9/11” from the fans.

It’s a venn diagram of quasi-eugenicist intelligence baiting with referees and the media all making a widening fucking gash between two circles, with fans in the middle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom