Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he was GKN he'd be getting pelters by now.

Gonna need more... Once Ben's back, he'll be left having to oust Sonny for game-time.

Decide on his position once and for all and get him a loan accordingly next year.... Tempted to say this window tbh.

Really concerned that he's not even trying to do the things I think he's capable of. He has a great opportunity with Davies injured, something tells me that he's repsecting our shirt far too much, he seems like a deer caught in the headlights when certain critical moments in a game occur.

I lost count of the amount of times he should have overlapped and only stated for so in the last 10-15 minutes and the amount of times when he literally had 40 yards to kick it on and do a Bale like run. Opted to pass backwards and lost us so much rhythm too often to play at this level. He's young so I'll cut him slack but he needs to at least try and he needs to realise that Spurs fans are very warm and receptive to a player that at least tries things.

Really concerned that he's not even trying to do the things I think he's capable of. He has a great opportunity with Davies injured, something tells me that he's respecting our shirt far too much, he seems like a deer caught in the headlights when certain critical moments in a game occur.

I lost count of the amount of times he should have overlapped and only stated for so in the last 10-15 minutes and the amount of times when he literally had 40 yards to kick it on and do a Bale like run. Opted to pass backwards and lost us so much rhythm too often to play at this level. He's young so I'll cut him slack but he needs to at least try and he needs to realise that Spurs fans are very warm and receptive to a player that at least tries things.

He very clearly has been instructed to stay back whilst his opposite fullback Serge roams forward, you can't have both fullbacks bombing forward at once and for now it seems Serge has the job.

Would like to see us play a back five with three CB's and two attacking FB's that would give Ryan a lot more leeway to get forward ... right now he's playing in a position that's not his regular one at a level he's not accustomed to, so he's doing OK, not great sure but let's not bury him just yet.

He very clearly has been instructed to stay back whilst his opposite fullback Serge roams forward, you can't have both fullbacks bombing forward at once and for now it seems Serge has the job.

Would like to see us play a back five with three CB's and two attacking FB's that would give Ryan a lot more leeway to get forward ... right now he's playing in a position that's not his regular one at a level he's not accustomed to, so he's doing OK, not great sure but let's not bury him just yet.

Granted that he may be doing as instructed but there's far more of a player in there and one that should have the initiative to see space and attack it. Absolutely this might be coming from the management so it's hard to judge but I'd like to see him coming out of his shell just a little bit more than he is even if he's being told to stay back a little. He's young and playing for a club like us is all new to him to yeah we have to be patient and see how things develop agreed.

19 years old. 19. Just learning his trade. He’s hardly left school.

Plenty to come from this young man. Maybe people should remember where Rose, Walker, Davies and Trippier were at this age.

Even Bale we were trying to offload to Forest when he was older than 19.

Just needs to be given time and experience to get better.

ask most Fulham fans or watchers and they will say that he is not a LB, he can play LWB but is better LWF.
I would Think that Jose has told him to play safe football

I know there is a narrative with Sessegnon for some posters.

As opposed to dissecting every half of football the bloke plays why don't we try and give the bloke a chance?

I think he is quality and will come good if played in the right position but even more I think he will benefit from a full and uninterrupted pre season.

If he falls short then he falls short but let's not be a club who does not give one of our own a proper chance before we consign to the dustbin.

19 years old. 19. Just learning his trade. He’s hardly left school.

Plenty to come from this young man. Maybe people should remember where Rose, Walker, Davies and Trippier were at this age.

Even Bale we were trying to offload to Forest when he was older than 19.

Just needs to be given time and experience to get better.
Word.

Even by his own admission he's said he's been poor and needs to show more threat, intent etc. So this Jose is shackling him excuse isn't wholly accurate and only goes so far.
He may be 19, but he's got experience, and sure we all expected more. Criticism of him thus far is warranted

Last edited:
He desperately needs a loan move, either to a bottom half PL team or a top half Championship team.
Somewhere he can play every week in the same position and gain a bit of confidence and improve.

At the moment he isn't good enough at left back and won't be given the chance as the left sided attacker over Son. He'll continue playing bit part roles in multiple positions and won't be able to get into any sort of rhythm at Spurs this season.

I almost felt sorry for him last night he was that bad.

It was only a few weeks ago that Mou was saying he’s not ready to be a LB, that Dele was not a midfielder, that Sissoko was not a midfielder etc. He’s playing because we have minimal options due to injuries. He’s still a kid and we need to be calm.

When Davies returns Sess can get more opportunities as a forward and less of a defensive burden, that’s what he needs.

JM said in the beginning that RS isn't a left back, now he's saying that RS is a young left back, we want to develop. Ryan is being forced to play in unfamiliar position because of our lack options in that area.
He needs time and a run in his rightful position.

Remember how Bale's career stuttered with us, so much so that Redknapp was going to sell him to Birmingham city.

Ryan's first season, give him time.

Back
Top Bottom