Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even by his own admission he's said he's been poor and needs to show more threat, intent etc. So this Jose is shackling him excuse isn't wholly accurate and only goes so far.
He may be 19, but he's got experience, and sure we all expected more. Criticism of him thus far is warranted

Everyone will have different expectations.

Can’t say I expect that much of any 19year old though.

He’s not the biggest guy and being asked to play against some very very good footballers.

And I’m glad he’s not happy with his performances- shows he has the right attitude to improve.

You can choose to criticise and I will choose to support. Both of our rights as fans. Sure we both hope he makes it.

It looks like he has a confidence problem (quite normal given his age). Playing him in a position that doesn't really suit him can't help. Once Davies returns, we should be able to use him in a more advanced role.

And that will be his best position imv

When I saw him make a name for himself at Fulham what stood out was not any particular flashy attribute. He never seemed very quick or a skilful dribbler playing on the left wing. What stood out was his intelligence in terms of making late runs, getting into goalscoring positions, reading the game. That was of course in the Championship so a period of adjustment to the Premier League is needed. As is the fact he is still a teenager even if he's playing first team football for a few years now. My belief is he should be gradually brought into the side beginning with being a sub against tired legs in the last twenty minutes as a forward rather than starting games in either a forward position or left back. Because he's not a threat as a forward with the ball at feet, and he's too lightweight right now as a left back and getting targeted. He needs time to develop.

he is much better as as am attacking winger
being totally wasted as a wing back, dejavu Bale's wing back days when people thought he was ordinary

On balance, I agree - but the problem for me is not his defending, it's his inability (or reluctance) either to put himself into attacking space or to take the man on that is most worrying/ It's very noticeable in the flesh (at the game). As you say, maybe being freed of defensive duties would allow that.

I think he needs a bit more trust from the other players and also to work on building a partnership with Son out left. There were numerous times last night he got in a position to overlap and Son failed to find him with a pass or through-ball. We have very few genuine left-footed players and it'd be a great addition to our attack to have him putting in dangerous crosses from the endline.

We have very few genuine left-footed players and it'd be a great addition to our attack to have him putting in dangerous crosses from the endline.
I have rarely seen more left-footed players than Lamela and Lo Celso. For example the Rabona from Lamela last night. A dead giveaway for a one-footed player.

Both have no idea what their right foot is for.

I have rarely seen more left-footed players than Lamela and Lo Celso. For example the Rabona from Lamela last night. A dead giveaway for a one-footed player.

Both have no idea what their right foot is for.

Perhaps I phrased it wrong, but none of them spend any time out wide left. They are inside forwards or CAM. Sess can actually be a wide left player for us, something I think would very much benefit our attack.

... he'd tend to bump into Son rather a lot.

Son isn't undroppably good- guy goes through serious cold patches and picks up more cards than he should. And Sess can still be a great wide left player for us overlapping from FB in the same way that Trent Alexander-Arnold does out right for Pool, cuntish though he may be.

Son isn't undroppably good- guy goes through serious cold patches and picks up more cards than he should. And Sess can still be a great wide left player for us overlapping from FB in the same way that Trent Alexander-Arnold does out right for Pool, cuntish though he may be.
Maybe. However it would be a brave manager to drop Son in favour of Sessegnon. Neither was particularly good yesterday but in my book Son would always be first in line.

I took my footie loving daughter to our local non-league team today (Margate). Imagine how shocked we were to see a Sessegnon on the pitch. Chris Sesegnon plays at right back, older brother of our Ryan at 26. Pretty good to be fair.

Sess is the future , give him time and patience as it isn’t the first time an attacking minded player has looked a bit shit when played as a left back......

Back
Top Bottom