Return of the Poch

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

would you welcome poch back

• yes

Votes: 189 72.1%
  • no

Votes: 73 27.9%

• Total voters
But it does show he will work with one if he has to.

I'd suggest perhaps compromise would depend on the level and paygrade of the job on offer........

e.g.

To get his hands on those galacticos = "Ok, DOF me up".
To be a project manager = "No thanks; my way of the highway"

There was but pretty sure it was wages that swung it

Mane... Wages; def.
Wijnaldum.... Pretty sure i read that Poch wasn't enthused enough for us to go £26m and sizeable wages.

.......Both made to look silly by the end of the window when we splashed much the same on Sissoko.

Thing is; by that time we had started to look at better depth and a next gen(*); but the recruitment and integration was shit.
That's what happens when you pay for a rubbish recruitement team. If you want to challenge, you have to have a fully pro outfit from top to bottom. Any chink in the chain and it's a no-go.

That's what happens when you pay for a rubbish recruitement team. If you want to challenge, you have to have a fully pro outfit from top to bottom. Any chink in the chain and it's a no-go.

Our #1 failure during that period....... Not the more well-worn memes.

Yeh, I'm not a massive fan myself, but in a better team with a more likeable manager I'm sure he'd have been useful given we've had 3/4 years of MF woes and disfunction since.

I wanted him at the time, but it was one of those where he was commonly laughed off as relegation fodder; only for people to sit up and go "Oh, Liverpool signed him... Maybe he had something about him afterall".

Wijnaldum would've been perfect for Poch .. a crying shame. Press resistant, hard working, technically decent too .. played a very key role for Liverpool for years .

Mane I understand a bit more as maybe Liverpool were more attractive + MAYBE I can understand the wage issue ... but really wish we'd gone all out for him. It's a bit hindsighty now as obviously nobody expected him to be what he became but I was a huge fan at Southampton ... absolute menace.

Wijnaldum would've been perfect for Poch .. a crying shame. Press resistant, hard working, technically decent too .. played a very key role for Liverpool for years .

Mane I understand a bit more as maybe Liverpool were more attractive + MAYBE I can understand the wage issue ... but really wish we'd gone all out for him. It's a bit hindsighty now as obviously nobody expected him to be what he became but I was a huge fan at Southampton ... absolute menace.

Players Poch wanted mid way Zaha, Mane, Wijnaldum etc where really good and would have pushed us on massively. Duds at the end that we did buy Lo Celso and Ndombele where sad and too late anyway.

reading back through some of the old poch posts during the weeks just before he was sacked and it's intrguing to see alot of the hate for him, and many of the same critisicms of him that are now directed at conte, stubborn, not flexable with his formation, not playing the new signings in favour of his undrobables etc etc.

but one of the things that really caught my eye were many of the posts similar to the one below about the team he should be playing:

This really should be the team and just stick with it until genuine rotation is required or one of the backups prove they are worth a place

GAZZANIGA
FOYTH
ALDERWEIRELD
SANCHEZ
DAVIES
NDOMBELE
SISSOKO
LAMELA
LO CELSO
SON
KANE
formation code

Walker-Peters, Vertonghen, Aurier, Sessegnon, Winks/ Dier, Dele, Lucas on the bench. Just cunt Eriksen off, he adds nothing and doesn't want to be there anymore so stop giving him minutes. Aurier and Rose have come out openly and spoke about their next ventures so bin them off into the reserves as well.

The sooner Poch stops being a fanny and gets the new blood in and stops acting like a bitch with players who don't want him/ us anymore the better. He has limited time to do so but how can he be getting every starting XI so completely wrong every fucking time? I'm still setting that Tanguy didn't need play yesterday, fucking clown shoes decisions going on!

lots of similar posts around that time about this great squad going to waste beecause he's stubborn with his side way passing tactics. Of course hindsight is a powerful thing but that squad was done, even the new signings turned out to be lemons

today you'd only want son , kane )eriksen if he was interested) and davies for a bench role.

The problem started with the windows without signings. It made the squad stale and signings are always a risk so you always have yo sign to have a chance to keep it fresh. We then had to get GLC and N’Dombele right when we did start signing and they had to hit the ground running, which of course did not work out at all. Poch was also exhausted i think. He just needed a break, and he started making dumb decisions, stubborn about players and formations that were not working and saying dumb things, ruining his own good work.

Now he has had a break i would love him back, he transformed us before it imploded. He is older and wiser bow and there should not be a no signing window again.

The problem started with the windows without signings.

Nah....

Our recruitment and player integration had already turned to shit before then; within which Poch was very much complicit...... Odds are 18/19 would have been just another bunch of money wasted.

Last edited:
I don't think Poch would ever work with one? It's a shame as I understand it, his indecisiveness at buying players really handicapped us.

I think Poch with someone like Paratici can be amazing

Maybe he’s learned and will now be on board with it

lots of similar posts around that time about this great squad going to waste beecause he's stubborn with his side way passing tactics. Of course hindsight is a powerful thing but that squad was done, even the new signings turned out to be lemons

Yeah, there's a lot of rose tinted glasses when it comes to Poch. Everyone wants to remember when we were flying and made it to the CL final, but they either don't or don't want to remember that the last 12-18 months got pretty rough.

Poch does get more leeway from me though compared to Conte is because he did far more with arguably less, did it for longer, and he had far less backing during his tenure than Conte has received. He was stubborn with both players and formations, but I think that by the end he was frustrated, tired, and just not at his best because of that.

I think what many are also forgetting is that Poch towards the end of his tenure pretty much didn’t have a home stadium - Wembley was a bit ridiculous and the new stadium felt like an away stadium for a while up until he was sacked.

reading back through some of the old poch posts during the weeks just before he was sacked and it's intrguing to see alot of the hate for him, and many of the same critisicms of him that are now directed at conte, stubborn, not flexable with his formation, not playing the new signings in favour of his undrobables etc etc.

but one of the things that really caught my eye were many of the posts similar to the one below about the team he should be playing:

This really should be the team and just stick with it until genuine rotation is required or one of the backups prove they are worth a place

GAZZANIGA
FOYTH
ALDERWEIRELD
SANCHEZ
DAVIES
NDOMBELE
SISSOKO
LAMELA
LO CELSO
SON
KANE
formation code

Walker-Peters, Vertonghen, Aurier, Sessegnon, Winks/ Dier, Dele, Lucas on the bench. Just cunt Eriksen off, he adds nothing and doesn't want to be there anymore so stop giving him minutes. Aurier and Rose have come out openly and spoke about their next ventures so bin them off into the reserves as well.

The sooner Poch stops being a fanny and gets the new blood in and stops acting like a bitch with players who don't want him/ us anymore the better. He has limited time to do so but how can he be getting every starting XI so completely wrong every fucking time? I'm still setting that Tanguy didn't need play yesterday, fucking clown shoes decisions going on!

today you'd only want son , kane )eriksen if he was interested) and davies for a bench role.

Similar could be said now in our defence but the rest of the squad is fine (except attacking midfield). So the new manager should be in a good place.

I saw us linked to Maddison again this morning. Surely we should go all out for him in the summer if Poch came back.

im not too sure the return of Poch is the fairytale we are all hoping it would be...

but if the club want him to return, they better start working fast cause he is on the brink of joining the spammers if Moyes gets the sack this weekend..

:levyeyes:

im not too sure the return of Poch is the fairytale we are all hoping it would be...

but if the club want him to return, they better start working fast cause he is on the brink of joining the spammers if Moyes gets the sack this weekend..

:levyeyes:
Poch would NEVER go to Spam. He is clearly waiting to see if Conte leaves, if not yhen he will have his pick of top teams BUT NOT SPAM !!

Back
Top Bottom