Return of the Poch

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

would you welcome poch back

• yes

Votes: 189 72.1%
  • no

Votes: 73 27.9%

• Total voters
I may be wrong but im sure i remember there being loads of uproar as Poch wouldn't even play them, wasn't it that he didn't think Gio was fit enough to play then he went and played for Argentina and got injured?
Any way both of them were Flops in the PL, if Poch comes back it needs to be under a director of football, he shouldnt be doing the scouting!

It's not so much the scouting which largely would have been done by minions anyway; but the final say and squad-planning, building and regeneration.

Input?.Absolutely
Final say? DOF

(I was only kidding)

A new DoF would be nice if we appointed Poch. Someone that isn't a crook.
I don't think Poch would ever work with one? It's a shame as I understand it, his indecisiveness at buying players really handicapped us.

I think Poch with someone like Paratici can be amazing

Firmly in the don't know category, if we could get the positives from the past mixed with lesson learnt it would be a yes, not knowing if he has learnt his lessons (as suggested above) makes it a no. So dont know but really can't stomach the lack of creativity we currently have and suspect levy won't open up the chq book to Contes desires and players like peh simply revert to safe passes to easily.

I don't think Poch would ever work with one? It's a shame as I understand it, his indecisiveness at buying players really handicapped us.

I think Poch with someone like Paratici can be amazing

I dunno how true/not true this is. There was a lot of conflicting reports about whether we were hesitating on players due to price/wage or because Poch didn't want them.

But either way, if he refuses to have a DOF we shouldn't go for him.

I dunno how true/not true this is. There was a lot of conflicting reports about whether we were hesitating on players due to price/wage or because Poch didn't want them.

But either way, if he refuses to have a DOF we shouldn't go for him.

In the 2nd half of his tenure; I think the accusation is more than he became tunnel visioned over certain players and wouldn't entertain other options even when it was clear that they weren't available to us (eg De Jong)........ He is said to have left cash on the table in the much fabled 18/19 season....... Didn't even want Tielemans on loan (when he ended up at Lester in Jan) which would have been most welcome at the time and - as it did with Lester - could have ended up being made perm.

As I understood it, he dragged his heels over Wijnaldum too..... Only for us to eventually spend just as much on Sissoko out of desperation at the end of the same window.

Personally, I wouldn't mind that so much (as I don't like us buying for the sake of it as it is a recipe for dead-wood), but it's more the fact that most of the guys he stuck his neck out to sign (eg Aurier, Foyth, GLC, Ndombele, Jansen) transpired to be duds.

Last edited:
2017????? ........No way!

Kane 23
Son 24
Dele 20
Eriksen 25

........2019 maybe, but selling that team off without seeing what it could achieve would have been depressing as hell!

I'd much rather have tried and failed than to have been left guessing and plagued with 'what if'........ Especially given how bad our recruitment got around that time; we'd have likely just pissed away the proceeds from sale anyway.

Changes are it would have likely alienated Poch too.
Well, I agreed with ypu at the time, but Dele left for nothing, as did Rose who we were offered 40 million for and who never played at a high level again, and who knows what we could have got from Jose for Eric Dier. Bar a miracle run to the CL final, performance was consistently down until Conte’s spell last spring. And maybe Poch was much closer to the end of the cycle in 2017 than we like to admit.

Of course, adding elite signings would have been the best way forward but didn't happen.

In the 2nd half of his tenure; I think the accusation is more than he became tunnel visioned over certain players and wouldn't entertain other options even when it was clear that they weren't available to us (eg De Jong)........ He is said to have left cash on the table in the much fabled 18/19 season....... Didn't even want Tielemans on loan (when he ended up at Lester in Jan) which would have been most welcome at the time and as it did with Lester could have ended been made perm as it was with them.

As I understood it, he dragged his heels over Wijnaldum too..... Only for us to eventually spend just as much on SIssoko out of desperation at the end of the same window.

Personally, I wouldn't mind that so much (as I don't like us buying for the sake of it as it is a recipe for dead-wood), but it's more the fact that most of the guys he stuck his neck out to sign (eg Aurier, Foyth, GLC, Ndombele, Jansen) transpired to be duds.

Tielemans was probably fair enough with hindsight ... I quite like him but he's ponderous with a crappy attitude. Don't remember the Wijnaldum stuff but that's an error, was a very useful player for Liverpool.

I do think he was very obviously a stubborn fucker - and that probably clashed with a stubborn chairman as well. That last window under him where he clearly was given a lot of leeway was crap ... so would definitely put me off him having control over transfers.

In fairness, I don't think there is an easy answer. Pretty clear in retrospect that we should have sold most of the team off in 2017 but that wasn't anyone's opinion at the time. Similarly, I feel like Kane and Son and a high energy Poch team is an odd mix.
True.

Someone suggesting moving Dele/Toby/Dembele on in 2017-18 would have been lynched and laughed out of the room at the time.

And I agree somewhat regarding if Poch really is a good fit for 2023 Kane and Son. Fans of Pochball want an aggressive near constant press. Kane and Son are most likely not going to do that now, they're what, 6-7 years older than when they last did that and with X amount of injuries?

Kulusevski and Richarlison however would probably have little to no issues adapting quickly to it.

Well, I agreed with ypu at the time,

Case closed then; cos my prior post is not trading in hindsight.......

but Dele left for nothing, as did Rose who we were offered 40 million for and who never played at a high level again, and who knows what we could have got from Jose for Eric Dier.

Who bid 40m for Rose?

Bar a miracle run to the CL final, performance was consistently down until Conte’s spell last spring. And maybe Poch was much closer to the end of the cycle in 2017 than we like to admit.

We were still an extremely potent team.... Even we went through all the upheaval of playing at Wembley even though we just made WHL a fortress! We were very much in the title mix as recent as Jan 19. Sonny and Kane were still growing; our key players all only mid 20s yet to peak and the horizon was extremly positive.

You've waaaay too much hindsight at play here for it to be deemed wisdom.

Well, I agreed with ypu at the time, but Dele left for nothing, as did Rose who we were offered 40 million for and who never played at a high level again, and who knows what we could have got from Jose for Eric Dier. Bar a miracle run to the CL final, performance was consistently down until Conte’s spell last spring. And maybe Poch was much closer to the end of the cycle in 2017 than we like to admit.

Of course, adding elite signings would have been the best way forward but didn't happen.
Selling the in-form players back then would not have been the answer. Squad depth was what was needed to help us push on and that's what we didn't get. Reason? Lack of investment. Levy has admitted he took his eye off the ball and it cost us.

I do agree that if Poch comes back, it should be with a top-quality DoR making the final decisions.

Selling the in-form players back then would not have been the answer. Squad depth was what was needed to help us push on and that's what we didn't get. Reason? Lack of investment. Levy has admitted he took his eye off the ball and it cost us.

Thing is; by that time we had started to look at better depth and a next gen(*); but the recruitment and integration was shit.

(*Which is exactly what Sanchez & Foyth, Aurier, Trippier were bought to be... Also see Jansen, GKN.)

In the 2nd half of his tenure; I think the accusation is more than he became tunnel visioned over certain players and wouldn't entertain other options even when it was clear that they weren't available to us (eg De Jong)........ He is said to have left cash on the table in the much fabled 18/19 season....... Didn't even want Tielemans on loan (when he ended up at Lester in Jan) which would have been most welcome at the time and - as it did with Lester - could have ended up being made perm.

As I understood it, he dragged his heels over Wijnaldum too..... Only for us to eventually spend just as much on Sissoko out of desperation at the end of the same window.

It's was Mane we wanted not sissoko but wages meant he went to pool. Similar with Wijnaldum we couldn't compete with wages at the time.

Tielemans was probably fair enough with hindsight ... I quite like him but he's ponderous with a crappy attitude.

Yeh, I'm not a massive fan myself, but in a better team with a more likeable manager I'm sure he'd have been useful given we've had 3/4 years of MF woes and disfunction since.

Don't remember the Wijnaldum stuff but that's an error, was a very useful player for Liverpool.

I wanted him at the time, but it was one of those where he was commonly laughed off as relegation fodder; only for people to sit up and go "Oh, Liverpool signed him... Maybe he had something about him afterall".

It's was Mane we wanted not sissoko but wages meant he went to pool. Similar with Wijnaldum we couldn't compete with wages at the time.

There was a bit of shenanigans going on with both players in that window..........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom