New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The point isn't about "supporters actually having a discussion" it's about posters making unfounded and unsupported comments, then whinging like a little baby when called out, you said:

"he will never invest like every other big club" - so 800m on a stadium? 200m a year on salaries? the best training facilities in London? that's no investment?

"In a couple of years when we still are buying 3rd rate players" - That's a pure guess, and what's with the '3rd rate' you do know that under DL we've bought Eriksen, Son, Dele are you saying they are all 3rd rate?

and finally when it's pointed out to you that you're full of shit, out comes your inner cry-baby:

"this is a forum and at this time of night your parents should be monitoring what you are up to a little better"

Your opinion is perfectly valid, supporting it with bullshit and then crying about it? that's a lot less valid
Pay attention....i only started "crying about it" when jokers get instantly offensive instead of actually having a discussion so maybe u should of read the other comments....those players are not 3rd rate no. But not one of them was bought knowing they would be that good obviously. You tell me the last real quality player we actually bought who was ready to go.....? I would say van der vaart probably. Toby is obviously exceptional but again he cost 12m and none of the other big teams even had an interest in signing him. Do u not want our great club to be in the market to try to sign real quality when needed, or let me guess we are the only ones who don't need quality ready made players... We can just keep always taking the cheap option and hoping they turn out to be quality.. just so you know big clubs do not win fuck all acting like that... But like most of levys congregation you seem happy to have a new stadium and not to ever want to actually put any trophies in the new and seemingly very dusty trophy room.. That's fine if u have forgotten what football is actually about. But some of us remember us actually winning and actually liked it ..if you don't want to compete and just want to go to a new shiny stadium then why don't u support west spam......

Pay attention....i only started "crying about it" when jokers get instantly offensive instead of actually having a discussion so maybe u should of read the other comments....those players are not 3rd rate no. But not one of them was bought knowing they would be that good obviously. You tell me the last real quality player we actually bought who was ready to go.....? I would say van der vaart probably. Toby is obviously exceptional but again he cost 12m and none of the other big teams even had an interest in signing him. Do u not want our great club to be in the market to try to sign real quality when needed, or let me guess we are the only ones who don't need quality ready made players... We can just keep always taking the cheap option and hoping they turn out to be quality.. just so you know big clubs do not win fuck all acting like that... But like most of levys congregation you seem happy to have a new stadium and not to ever want to actually put any trophies in the new and seemingly very dusty trophy room.. That's fine if u have forgotten what football is actually about. But some of us remember us actually winning and actually liked it ..if you don't want to compete and just want to go to a new shiny stadium then why don't u support west spam......

Morning all. Thought you might find this useful nigel6305 , I only came across this thread yesterday:

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/football-finance-thread.29215/

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 has posted an excellent breakdown of the clubs funds, where they have been going, what our spend has been and why in some areas it's been limited. It makes for positive and negative reading, depending on how you analyse it.

Since 2008, Chelsea have spent £496m on players + CAPEX, we have spent £591m. During that time the thread highlights that as of 2017 we had taken out c£150m in loans (roughly 18% of our funds from 2008-2017 have come from loans, the rest is via profit made) and paid back £42m in interest.

Take the loan money away from our expenditure + add the interest paid the club has spent roughly £483m of its own money in the last decade as of 2017. If you go through the post on that thread you'll see other clubs examples as well to benchmark our dealings against. Basically we've spent the same as Chelsea and roughly £130m than Liverpool as of 2017 (Liverpool's spending on players + CAPEX, infrastructure and land acquisition etc was £351m compared to our £483 before the use of external loans).

If you check out the posts the club does have the most cash its sitting on in the league but that number is skewed due to the loans we've taken out qualifying as cash that ultimately needs repaying. On top of that, from what I gather looking at the financial results on the Spurs website the club needs to repay 3 separate loans totalling £448m back to the banks we are working with by May 2022 & December 2022, unless we get extensions on those extra loans.

The long and short of it, from what I gather is that the club has been investing its own money in growing the club as much as some of our rivals, it's just where they've been able to throw that into their first team, we've had to throw it at the bricks and mortar. A lot of the money the club has made over the last decade has been used already, going towards roughly half of the cost of its CAPEX hence why transfer fees have been limited.

Not sure if I'm right or not, it's what I broke down checking it out late last night. If anyone wants to check out the Swiss Rambling posts Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 shared over their lunch break they seem pretty interesting and give what I think is a fair bit of clarify on what's been going on with Levy & Co and where our finances currently sit.

Hope I'm not talking bollocks but if anyone can be arsed, follow the thread link above to have a butchers

I now feel a bit bad and would like to say sorry. You actually are obviously a child and mummy probably sent you to bed or to have your weekly shower and your a little upset. That's the problem nowadays with all you kids having a phone from mummy and daddy that you can play on in bed..again sorry little one but this is a forum and at this time of night your parents should be monitoring what you are up to a little better..

You are incredibly boring

More asinine bollocks, now you are complaining that we didn't pay enough for our good players, are you serious? So what it sounds like you are saying is football is all about who can spend the most money on the biggest name players ... sadly whilst that may be true it's got fuck all to do with what football is really all about, it's all about developing 'one of our own' all about 'unearthing the next great thing' all about doing it through pride and hard work something the true supporter can get behind ... it really isn't about just seeing who has the biggest cheque book ... in case you don't know, and I suspect you don't, we have spent 397m on transfers in the last five years, that's more than Woolwich, only the big four have spent more but hey you keep whinging if that's what makes you happy ...

If as you say it's spending the most money that is all football is about, might I suggest PSG, City, or Bayern where you will find the cheque book football you seem to admire, me I will stick with the Spurs way of doing things ... to dare is to do ... not to buy is to do ... you would do well to remember that

More asinine bollocks, now you are complaining that we didn't pay enough for our good players, are you serious? So what it sounds like you are saying is football is all about who can spend the most money on the biggest name players ... sadly whilst that may be true it's got fuck all to do with what football is really all about, it's all about developing 'one of our own' all about 'unearthing the next great thing' all about doing it through pride and hard work something the true supporter can get behind ... it really isn't about just seeing who has the biggest cheque book ... in case you don't know, and I suspect you don't, we have spent 397m on transfers in the last five years, that's more than Woolwich, only the big four have spent more but hey you keep whinging if that's what makes you happy ...

If as you say it's spending the most money that is all football is about, might I suggest PSG, City, or Bayern where you will find the cheque book football you seem to admire, me I will stick with the Spurs way of doing things ... to dare is to do ... not to buy is to do ... you would do well to remember that

Based on the last financial figures of Premier League clubs a total of £1.842bn has been loaned by the owners that needs to get repaid in time. Chelsea's owner has loaned them £520m since 2008 & Liverpool's nearly £300m. That money will have to get paid back & when it does it'll be those clubs time to watch their finances.

Fascinating to read about, absolutely insane how many clubs have been spending money that ain't theirs.

Park up round the back of lordship lane and walk through the park.?
I'm coming from Vikki Park in the East End, so quickest by far is to simply jump on A12 then cut through Whipps Cross to join A406. On match day getting to Lordship Lane from the South via Stamford Hill is a nightmare (oddly ok going back from there after a game isn't too bad).

Having said all that, the new stadium with it being open early and late after a game does change things, if the vibe is good then I've no issue getting there early or staying late, or if everyone else is going to do this too, then maybe the boozers as less packed as a result.

Really?

I can't think of anything better for us right now. If we were still in good form and hadn't lost 3 of our last 4 games - then I MAY have agreed with him. "If it's not broke, don't fix it" etc in terms of our form but you can almost tell everyone is sick of the place.

The new stadium will give us that extra boost in my view. It's also allowed us to have more home games than anyone else around us, which will only benefit us too.
Its also different as we are moving back into our new ground on our home site not a new ground on a different site miles from our home. Almost all other teams have continued to play at their home ground until moving in, we haven't.
It feels more like a redevelopment.
I may be proved wrong but I am hopeful it will have a positive effect.

Have you seen the weather outside!! :sonhmm:

Weather wise it's a good idea of course. However due to the international break, then having to prepare for Liverpool away once the players return after the internationals, it will leave very little time to test out the pitch and surroundings before our first game at NWHL.

Fair points. But I do not believe even when the stadium is played off that anything will change. Levy has us by the short and curlys and he knows it.. he will never invest like every other big club does..its just what I believe because he's a snake in my opinion..but good post and some good points by you very well made. Real spurs supporters actually having a discussion. Thanks for restoring my faith in our clubs amazing fans. We don't have to completely agree or abuse each other either
I agree with you that Levy will not suddenly splash the cash like some other owners but he has always said that we have to do things differently.
Hopefully the new stadium and increased finances it brings will go some way to closing the gap. There will be money to buy I am confident of that but it will be spent sensibly (hopefully).

There was a statement by the club on 26 Oct last year. Details are on the OS.
It was unusual in that it stated turnover and profits for 17-18 when these usually come out in 2019.
One or two papers made the point that it was good news early because the next set wouldn’t be very good due to extra Wembley and new ground costs.
It stated that the 3 banks had extended the borrowing requirement up to £637m and our net debt was 366m.
No doubt it’s a complicated business. Would this extra money be tiding us over for a few years till we can build the hotel and flats and get the debt down. Who knows?
On the face of it we’ve got a lot of debt, no doubt Daniel knows what he’s doing.
Yeah, I remember that.

The bottom line is that debt is OK so long as the revenue is there to service it.

Our revenue has the biggest % increase in the league if I have remembered that correctly, with Wembley (first season), CL and all of that tied into increased TV has a huge uplift. This year may yet still see a further increase due to CL money doubling, not to mention that we're into the quarters too, such is the effect of CL this season that it might mitigate losses due to half full Wembley (although I don't believe we took any money from concessions) and lost revenue and increased costs over the new gaff. (CL is so important and because of the TV deal in place English Clubs that are in it are just printing money, Leicester (1/4 finalists) earned more money from CL than Real Madrid (winners) did and this year it's expected English teams in it will double the income on previous years!!

Back
Top Bottom