New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How long has that big ass Baldwins mobile crane been there (inside the stadium)?
There is so much work to be done! They need to get cracking. May, June, July.....
810 roof cassettes to be assembled, hundreds of exterior panels and glass panes, the pitch trays, etc.etc.
Pulled in at 5 this morning...

Over the 95yrs a stadium (or stadium building site) has existed at Wembley; and in the FA's 154-year existence, the gov body has owned Wembley Stadium/building site for only 19 years.

I actually think it would be an excellent if they sold it. From what has been proposed they will bank £500m and still receive £40m from Club Wembley revenues per year. They already have St George's Park built and up and running. There are new stadiums being built around the country to host England games (Old Trafford, Eitihad, Anfield, New WHL, Emirates, London Stadium LOL, Everton's proposed new stadium and Chelsea's new stadium although this must be in doubt now) all of these stadiums are close to or over 60k in capacity. There is £150m of debt which could be all paid off or substantially reduced (The FA generate an annual income of nearly £400m so the debt is still manageable as it is), so either the entire £500m or something like £400m can now be invested into grass roots football, we have the highest fees in the world for coaches, which is why we have the smallest number of them in Europe, money could be spent reinvigorating existing pitches and facilities, the creation of all weather pitches, making safe current pitches that property developers have their eye's on. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-invest back into the National Sport rather having the money tied up in a soulless bowl.

They would definitely waste the money though

Think that's down to the club's
Completely disagree with that, huge numbers of clubs not investing in their academies, some even closing them completely, yet their is still a wide pool of players playing for England from the same variety of clubs (although there is the same dominance of the top English sides but thats static, no change).

Unless you saying that the England DNA scheme launched 5yrs ago is just a coincidence that across multiple age groups they have reach multiple finals in Worlds and Euro's and are World Champions in two age groups. Sorry mate you simply can't ignore this.

Completely disagree with that, huge numbers of clubs not investing in their academies, some even closing them completely, yet their is still a wide pool of players playing for England from the same variety of clubs (although there is the same dominance of the top English sides but thats static, no change).

Unless you saying that the England DNA scheme launched 5yrs ago is just a coincidence that across multiple age groups they have reach multiple finals in Worlds and Euro's and are World Champions in two age groups. Sorry mate you simply can't ignore this.

That's just part of the story ...... if you look at the young teams England are having success with just about every player is connected to an EPL or a Championship club ... five years ago almost half came from outside the top two divisions ....

Under 17's have 14 from the EPL, 8 from the championship ....
Under 18's have 16 from the EPL, 6 from the championship ....

and so on ....

The fact is in the last five years the rule changes on recruiting 'junior' players has allowed the big teams to create massive academies, for example we now have over 150 8-18 year old juniors in our academy ....

Clubs are investing on young talent at a much younger age and the benefits of that are being seen at competition level ... the England DNA scheme is designed to improve coaching, and I'm sure it is, but the real benefit to English youngsters comes from training in a professional environment, alongside (well nearby) top players, with top coaches, and ex-players on hand .... in other words at an EPL academy ....

Of course not all clubs can afford this, but at the very top developing the next 100m world super star has become a very important role for EPL academies across the UK ..... not to much the benefits to the bottom line ....

Last edited:
That's just part of the story ...... if you look at the young teams England are having success with just about every player is connected to an EPL or a Championship club ... five years ago almost half came from outside the top two divisions ....

and so on ....

The fact is in the last five years the rule changes on recruiting 'junior' players has allowed the big teams to create massive academies, for example we now have over 150 8-18 year old juniors in our academy ....

Clubs are investing on young talent at a much younger age and the benefits of that are being seen at competition level ... the England DNA scheme is designed to improve coaching, and I'm sure it is, but the real benefit to English youngsters comes from training in a professional environment, alongside (well nearby) top players, with top coaches, and ex-players on hand .... in other words at an EPL academy ....

Of course not all clubs can afford this, but at the very top developing the next 100m world super star has become a very important part for EPL academies across the UK ..... not to much the benefits to the bottom line ....
Yeah, not doubting this at all, but it's not really been an awful lot different and yet our International level development sides have been shite.

and so on ....

Of course not all clubs can afford this, but at the very top developing the next 100m world super star has become a very important role for EPL academies across the UK ..... not to much the benefits to the bottom line ....
there has to be the fear that they lose the sense of fun that you can get playing football

Tottenham facing up to reality check as stadium costs escalate

Guardian sticking the boot in over the stadium, but there is probably more than an element of truth.
there is no investigating in that report though, literally zero new information or opinion. I thought it was poor myself, surely they could have got a better estimate than:

"Then, it became £750m and £850m, and now, nobody would be surprised if it reached a billion"

do a bit of digging and see if it is and if this is linked to the stadium or surrounding and if that will have the same effect. I read the guardian and thought this was poor click bait article.

And so what if the costs hit 1 Billion. This has been a project that has been lined up for years and as mentioned its more than just a stadium build it's a redevelopment of the whole area, it has created jobs and will make the local area more prosperous.

Man City and Man United have spent half that outlay just on Players in the last 2-3 seasons. All it's costing us to build a new stadium and redevelop the whole area is 10-11 Paul Pogba's. I'll take that.

do a bit of digging and see if it is and if this is linked to the stadium or surrounding and if that will have the same effect. I read the guardian and thought this was poor click bait article.

Probably, yeah. The Guardian does like a bit of click-bait for sure, but thought I'd post it anyway as there could be a connection between escalating costs and the changing rhetoric coming out of Poch in relation to future plans.

Probably, yeah. The Guardian does like a bit of click-bait for sure, but thought I'd post it anyway as there could be a connection between escalating costs and the changing rhetoric coming out of Poch in relation to future plans.

Poch's comment gives them a new narrative, something to loosely bind other stories too:

- Poch says he might not be here and it's difficult to compete
- Stadium costs escalating
- No money for new contracts on top player
- Key players looking to leave due to lack of investment
- NFL deal at risk due to Wembley
- Spurs could be hit with difficult times
- Players worry about direction of club, is the new stadium a white elephant
- Spurs rocked by tumbling London house prices

There's a months worth of negative articles there for them. We could all write this shit if you want to stir things up...

Or they could go the positive route:

- Poch convinced long term plan is secure with or without him
- Rising Stadium costs already factored in
- Spurs wont be strong-armed into unsustainable contracts
- Key players who share the vision will remain, whilst mercenaries will leave
- NFL deal has no connection to Wembley
- Spurs set-up to weather difficult times
- Players excited about direction of club, what will the new stadium bring?
- Spurs area bucks house price drops with regeneration plan

Not to be a downer but....(about to be a downer)....no chance in my eyes that site will be ready for the new season. Far too much to do. Perhaps some some of sectional completion with approval from emergency services to open, but without any of the F&B, boxes etc. We’ll probably have to play first month a time least away, which is fine.

Not to be a downer but....(about to be a downer)....no chance in my eyes that site will be ready for the new season. Far too much to do. Perhaps some some of sectional completion with approval from emergency services to open, but without any of the F&B, boxes etc. We’ll probably have to play first month a time least away, which is fine.

Rumours are that we already have permission to play the first 4 games away, which means (with the international break) that we have until end September - so almost 5 months (May, June, July, August, September) to get to a stadium ready to play in. Look back at pics from last autumn to see progress made since then to judge what can be done in 5 more months.

My guess is that there will be some work done for months after its opened, but for the vast majority of fans anything not complete it will be an irrelevance.

As an example I'd guess that there is render over 50% of the stadium already, but if that was only 90% complete by end September would you care ?

There's a couple of definite misleading statements from the Granuaid there. Firstly that the loans are to be repaid over 5 years, when we've already stated we'll be refinancing them over a longer period. And secondly that Levy is on £115k per week, when we know that included backpay and bonuses and isn't his basic wage. That makes me inclined to think the rest of the article is horseshit too.

there is no investigating in that report though, literally zero new information or opinion. I thought it was poor myself, surely they could have got a better estimate than:

"Then, it became £750m and £850m, and now, nobody would be surprised if it reached a billion"

Moreso is this inflamitory yet contradictory quote:

"However, the incoming signings would have to fit into Levy’s wage structure, which is capped at a basic £100,000 a week, although not for him. He earned £6m, including bonuses, equating to £115,000 a week, in the year covered by the most recent accounts."

So if the basic cap (i.e. without bonuses) is £100k and he made £115k (including bonuses) then his basic is almost certainly below £100k...

Moreso is this inflamitory yet contradictory quote:

"However, the incoming signings would have to fit into Levy’s wage structure, which is capped at a basic £100,000 a week, although not for him. He earned £6m, including bonuses, equating to £115,000 a week, in the year covered by the most recent accounts."

So if the basic cap (i.e. without bonuses) is £100k and he made £115k (including bonuses) then his basic is almost certainly below £100k...
He's a journo, not an accountant...

Back
Top Bottom