Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Over exaggerating every single thing he does, calling really hum drum ordinary things "brilliant", calling really ordinary performances "MOTM" nearly every week (like against Woolwich when his letting Ramsey run off him helped cost us their goal) refusing to see the multitude of things he does badly, ever. Posting a 2 min youtube highlight of a really meh performance against Leicester, a game in which we were outplayed, and calling it an example of his fantastic ability? That's being a fanboy*

* not all those things are you.

Some of the praise goes a bit past the mark, owing a lot to the sheer shock of how much he's improved this year, but the fact is without his performances in the midfield this season we'd be completely screwed. He's doing a serviceable job in a role where we don't have any other options. It would be great if we had Prime Dembele to occupy that role, but sadly Prime Dembele no longer exists. Oliver Skipp isn't ready to take on all that, Eriksen or Winks is out of position there. Sissoko maintains the shape and stabilizes the platform upon which our stars can shine.

Over exaggerating every single thing he does, calling really hum drum ordinary things "brilliant", calling really ordinary performances "MOTM" nearly every week (like against Woolwich when his letting Ramsey run off him helped cost us their goal) refusing to see the multitude of things he does badly, ever. Posting a 2 min youtube highlight of a really meh performance against Leicester, a game in which we were outplayed, and calling it an example of his fantastic ability? That's being a fanboy*

Thank you for the last sentence

I’ve called Moussa a lot of things but never brilliant but I can honestly say that when he gets the ball and runs at the opposition I get excited because you never know what’s coming next and, presumably, neither does the opposing defence
Yes he’s quite capable of falling over the ball which I alluded to the other day but he’s also capable of causing havoc as per the Inter game

I’m glad he’s ours

Same old bollocks week after week.

You really should get a hobby young man.

How the fuck can you not understand. I even drew a fucking diagram?

How can he play centrally when the three were Winks, Sissoko and Eriksen? This is most used line up this season:

Winks
Sissoko------------------Eriksen

eySglCY.png

In this system Winks is the central pivot, holder and Sissoko and Eriksen have similar remits, to transition the ball - whilst at the same time doing regular midfield duties (that any midfielder 4/6/8 has to do) without the ball.

How the fuck is that me saying we have three 8's?

Even the less frequent occasions we play a CM2 - it's always Winks (or Wanyama on Saturday) that has the more disciplined remit

IP5MBAZ.png

Look where Wanyama (12) is, and where Sissoko (17) is. One is clearly protecting the defence, the other more forward and right.

Arguing he's a DM, you are not doing yourself/him any favours because he's a fucking shit defensively - compared to any half decent DM and many that aren't pure DM's. He tackles the same amount as Eriksen, pressure events (pressure and regains) are worse than Eriksen. And Eriksen is definitely not renowned for his defensive capabilities is he?

Sissoko has no footballing brain. Even defensively he is reactive, and slow to reacte too, compared to people like Kante or even Wanyama two years ago.

Offensively, which has been a major part of his remit for most games, he's fucking turgid most weeks. Against Burnley he competed 24 passes, 8 of them forward, Cheslea he made 32 passes (while Winks playing the more defensive role made 90), 11 forward. Woolwich 33 passes, 15 forwards.

You drew a diagram

I watched Spurs

Well he hasn't been this season, Jorginho has. So you're right, I don't see it.

Is Jan still a CB because he goes forward?

What’s a DM to people then, and what is Sissoko?
A central midfielder that defends the back line, breaks up play and brings the ball out from our box and distributes it to the AMs in the oppo half.

Yeah that’s a DM to me.

Is Jan still a CB because he goes forward?

What’s a DM to people then, and what is Sissoko?
A central midfielder that defends the back line, breaks up play and brings the ball out from our box and distributes it to the AMs in the oppo half.

Yeah that’s a DM to me.

No, because he predominantly plays in the centre back position.

Sarri has even said Kante isn't playing defensive midfield because he isn't good for that position. If his own manager can't convince you, I'm not going to be able to.

The majority of Sissokos game is him playing further forward than our deepest central midfielder and taking the ball forward. Itd be like calling Dembele or Pogba a defensive midfielder or better yet calling Dele a defensive midfielder and he does far more defensive work than Sissoko.

No, because he predominantly plays in the centre back position.

Sarri has even said Kante isn't playing defensive midfield because he isn't good for that position. If his own manager can't convince you, I'm not going to be able to.

The majority of Sissokos game is him playing further forward than our deepest central midfielder and taking the ball forward. Itd be like calling Dembele or Pogba a defensive midfielder or better yet calling Dele a defensive midfielder and he does far more defensive work than Sissoko.

If you think Dembele, Pogba, Dele and Sissoko do the same thing then that’s your perogative

How the fuck can you not understand. I even drew a fucking diagram?

How can he play centrally when the three were Winks, Sissoko and Eriksen? This is most used line up this season:

Winks
Sissoko------------------Eriksen

eySglCY.png

In this system Winks is the central pivot, holder and Sissoko and Eriksen have similar remits, to transition the ball - whilst at the same time doing regular midfield duties (that any midfielder 4/6/8 has to do) without the ball.

How the fuck is that me saying we have three 8's?

Even the less frequent occasions we play a CM2 - it's always Winks (or Wanyama on Saturday) that has the more disciplined remit

IP5MBAZ.png

Look where Wanyama (12) is, and where Sissoko (17) is. One is clearly protecting the defence, the other more forward and right.

Arguing he's a DM, you are not doing yourself/him any favours because he's a fucking shit defensively - compared to any half decent DM and many that aren't pure DM's. He tackles the same amount as Eriksen, pressure events (pressure and regains) are worse than Eriksen. And Eriksen is definitely not renowned for his defensive capabilities is he?

Sissoko has no footballing brain. Even defensively he is reactive, and slow to reacte too, compared to people like Kante or even Wanyama two years ago.

Offensively, which has been a major part of his remit for most games, he's fucking turgid most weeks. Against Burnley he competed 24 passes, 8 of them forward, Cheslea he made 32 passes (while Winks playing the more defensive role made 90), 11 forward. Woolwich 33 passes, 15 forwards.

I think your analysis of his game is spot on, but what you can't take away from Sissoko is that he is playing with heart. He is giving everything and despite his obvious limitations he is helping us win games. It was his assist against Dortmund that got us the win.

Having said that there is no doubt at all that the entire team is suffering from the downgrade of Dembele to Sissoko. Dembele made all our other players look better because he would always draw multiple opponents towards him in the middle third and create huge spaces for teammates when he inevitably dribbles past the pressure and releases them. Sissoko simply cannot do that, he doesn't have the technique or football IQ to be able to dribble past players from a standing start or open up half the pitch in one turn as he receives the ball. When pressed he panics and he only ever tries to take on opponents when he is running at top speed which happens maybe once or twice a game. It's not a coincidence that the quality of our football this season has been mostly rancid, the team have not adjusted to the absence of Dembele and Sissoko is not a long term solution to that. His limitations make it so much harder for our team to attack.

But Sissoko is defensive

I think he's about as defensive as he is attacking. What do people tend to call that? Box to box?

Considering his engine and ability to transition from defence to attack, even if he WAS playing as our deepest midfielder (which he doesn't), it'd be a complete waste of him anyway.

He reminds me of a shitter Yaya Toure during his final years at City, and he was anything but a defensive midfielder. Did do his defensive duty though as I'd expect from every one of my midfielders. Especially under Poch.

Considering his engine and ability to transition from defence to attack, even if he WAS playing as our deepest midfielder (which he doesn't), it'd be a complete waste of him anyway.

What midfielder is deeper? Wink isnt playing behind Sissoko, I dont think Ive ever seen Winks in our own box....Which CM plays deeper, Eriksen?

:lennon:

Back
Top Bottom