Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dont think Poch asks that off him though. At least I hope he doesnt. Id rather Sissoko does his runs that he is good at and then passes to others who have a better shot like Eriksen, Son, Kane, Alli etc. Eriksen wimps out of tackles and doesnt fight for the ball as much which is also probably a Poch instruction since thats not what Eriksen is good at .

Not that it matters so much if he can just create a chance for Kane to score like against Dortmund. As long as our CMs are creating chances thats more than good enough.

And yet they (Eriksen and Sissoko) both average the same tackles per game.

3 assists in the league and CL in 8 months isn’t good enough. KWP has matched that in 160 minutes.

All of you are going to be wrong about Sissoko, he had a great end to the season and played great throughout the euros which ended in a man of the match performance against Portugal . You're Newcastle supporting mates or people on social media are just bitter that Sissoko is a level above their club and he knew it, I have a feeling he is really going to show his true colours with a good coach and team around him. This guy is an absolute beast on the ball , similar to Dembele with not quite the dribbling finesse but more of the powerful running. He can pick out a pass and drive our midfield forward with relative ease. The whole thing about his attitude just sounds like media hype because he was unhappy to be playing for a shit team which got relegated when he knew he was better than that. Mark my words he's going to be a star.

:wanyama: Took longer than I expected but BAM!

Dont think Poch asks that off him though. At least I hope he doesnt. Id rather Sissoko does his runs that he is good at and then passes to others who have a better shot like Eriksen, Son, Kane, Alli etc. Eriksen wimps out of tackles and doesnt fight for the ball as much which is also probably a Poch instruction since thats not what Eriksen is good at .

Not that it matters so much if he can just create a chance for Kane to score like against Dortmund. As long as our CMs are creating chances thats more than good enough.
play to a players strengths and you will get the best out of him.

Really ain't harder than that. I expect Sissoko to score a bunch of goals just as much as I expect Kane to suddenly become a fullback.

I find it hilarious that’s bus conductor says Sissoko has the same role as Eriksen.

bus conductor also say Sissoko is shit.

bus conductor also says that Sissoko has similar defensive stats to Eriksen.

bus conductor must also think Eriksen is completely shit for 50% of his duties

Oops

Not sure how anyone can expect 10 goals from Sissoko, the lad has scored 12 goals in the league since he arrived in England 6 years ago, we can count ourself very lucky if he somehow manages to score 5 goals.

Shooting and scoring is just not his thing and that's never gonna change.

I agree. but if he aspires to being a top box-to-box midfielder (and it's probably a little later career-wise!), then that's what is expected of him over a season. Dele (our other B2B midfielder) regularly clocks up 10+.

You're right it wont happen with Sissoko and it's one of his major failings (rather like Dembele).

Last edited:

I agree with all of this. He's turned into a swan this season after being our ugly duckling since joining.

I don't think he's scored in the PL this season. I acknowledge he sets it up for others but I keep thinking "What kind of player would we have if his first touch was better and he scored 10 a season".

Would we be closer to the top two? We can all dream!

Not to get involed in the Sissoko vs Eriksen argument. But the idea that they have the same defensive stats made me look that up through the club website.

Defensive stats comparisson so far this season between Moussa and Christian:

Moose: 19 clearances, 3 blocks, 13 interceptions. 71,4% success rate for tackles, 48.9% success rate for duels and 51.5% success rate for aerial duels.

Christian: 4 clearances, 3 blocks, 11 interceptions. 60% success rate on tackles, 37.3% on duels and 25.7% on aerial duels.

Now, obviously Moose, while not a clear cut DM has a bigger defensive responsibility than Christian and it shows in the numbers.

I agree. but if he aspires to being a top box-to-box midfielder (and it's probably a little later career-wise!), then that's what is expected of him over a season. Dele (our other B2B midfielder) regularly clocks up 10+.

You're right it wont happen with Sissoko and it's one of his major failings (rather like Dembele).
Dele is not a box-to-box midfielder.

Every time you suggest that, you ruin any credibility in the conversation.

Think about how stupid you sound saying Sissoko and Dele are the same type of midfielder.

noel-edmonds-brass-eye-gif.gif

Dele is not a box-to-box midfielder.

Every time you suggest that, you ruin any credibility in the conversation.

Think about how stupid you sound saying Sissoko and Dele are the same type of midfielder.

noel-edmonds-brass-eye-gif.gif

Instead of silly gifs or memes why don't you tell us why those players aren't or can't be played as box to box midfielders and provide examples of players that you do consider of that role , I personally think Dele is best as a supporting striker but Sissoko could be considered a box to box midfielder considering he has a lot of defensive responsibility but is often driving the team forward to advanced areas of the pitch.

Instead of silly gifs or memes why don't you tell us why those players aren't or can't be played as box to box midfielders and provide examples of players that you do consider of that role , I personally think Dele is best as a supporting striker but Sissoko could be considered a box to box midfielder considering he has a lot of defensive responsibility but is often driving the team forward to advanced areas of the pitch.
Sissoko is a type of box to box midfielder. But Dele is typically deployed as a secondary striker/raumdeuter. comparable to Thomas Müller

Your need for attention blinding you again.

Sissoko is a box-to-box. Dele isn't.

Also...

You have absolutely no idea what you are on about.

There is no such thing as a box-to-box AM.

Box-to-box references central midfielders who work hard and are rounded players who defend and attack equally well.

Gerrard, Ballack, Essien, Schweinsteiger, Toure, Matuidi, Rijkaard etc.

Not Dele Alli.

You've just compared David Beckham, N'Golo Kante and Dele Alli, suggesting they have similar attributes.

:dembele:

tumblr_moaivdCTRU1qdxhroo2_500.gif

I agree with all of this. He's turned into a swan this season after being our ugly duckling since joining.

I don't think he's scored in the PL this season. I acknowledge he sets it up for others but I keep thinking "What kind of player would we have if his first touch was better and he scored 10 a season".

Would we be closer to the top two? We can all dream!
If all our CMs played like dele alli, we'd be giving out so many easy goals on the other side too. If Sissoko spent as much time in and around the opponent box like Alli does, who is going to cover for the gap Sissoko will leave behind? and who is going to babysit the rightback and apparently winks needs Sissoko to stay with him too according to some.

Just to make this clearer, when we have corners and all the defenders have gone into the box, Sissoko stays further back than almost everyone because Poch knows opponents can counter when eriksen fails to lift the ball over the first defender in corners and Sissoko is the most capable of catching up with anyone on counterattacking.

Not to get involed in the Sissoko vs Eriksen argument. But the idea that they have the same defensive stats made me look that up through the club website.

Defensive stats comparisson so far this season between Moussa and Christian:

Moose: 19 clearances, 3 blocks, 13 interceptions. 71,4% success rate for tackles, 48.9% success rate for duels and 51.5% success rate for aerial duels.

Christian: 4 clearances, 3 blocks, 11 interceptions. 60% success rate on tackles, 37.3% on duels and 25.7% on aerial duels.

Now, obviously Moose, while not a clear cut DM has a bigger defensive responsibility than Christian and it shows in the numbers.

So does this mean bus conductor lied when saying they were par defensively?
Who’d have thought it eh..

Sissoko absolutely trounces him.....but that’s not a put down on Eriksen for my part. Because I can clearly see that have different roles.

However if you think they are playing the same role, and only judge players on stats, it doesn’t look good for bus boy and his view on Eriksen and surely he must think Eriksens “poor” defensive displays are a massive problem and a reason our full backs and Winks is exposed so often....

I mean, you do still think they have the same role don’t you after reading those stats right bc
:harrylol:

If all our CMs played like dele alli, we'd be giving out so many easy goals on the other side too. If Sissoko spent as much time in and around the opponent box like Alli does, who is going to cover for the gap Sissoko will leave behind? and who is going to babysit the rightback and apparently winks needs Sissoko to stay with him too according to some.

Just to make this clearer, when we have corners and all the defenders have gone into the box, Sissoko stays further back than almost everyone because Poch knows opponents can counter when eriksen fails to lift the ball over the first defender in corners and Sissoko is the most capable of catching up with anyone on counterattacking.
A lot of this is 'What if'. (as well as a few agenda's "babysitting", "Eriksen hitting knees" etc) which I won't get involved in.

Not sure I'd class Dele as a CM. He's an AM with box-to-box responsibilities (His best position, in my view, is playing just off Kane). He's expected to defend when we're under pressure (I don't expect Son, Kane and Eriksen to defend unless we're under siege or 'bus park' as we did the other night - a tactical decision by the manager).

Sissoko is held back at set pieces because Vertonghen and Alderwiereld are in the opposition box. Sissoko has the pace and strength to close down any opposition break (except for last weekend!)

Sissoko's open play responsibilities (in my view) is the 'midfield wall' against which opponent's attacks founder (before they get to the last ditch line which is our defence). Winks picks up the pieces and recycles the ball to Eriksen, Son and the WBs. When we bought him, I didn't think it was for this purpose (I thought he was an AM/winger). The manager has turned him into a DM (rather like Dier was a couple of seasons ago) with the added benefit of being able to run at opponents (something which Dier does not have the pace to do)

My point is that if he want's to be seen as a class B2B midfielder in the mould of Kante, Toure etc. he needs to score more, and control the ball better (neither of which may be possible at this stage in his career)

Last edited:
Sissoko and Gerrard are considered box to box midfielders

I don't thing Sissoko is box-to-box. He's currently utilised as a DM that has the pace and strength to break forward and take out opponents. His primary role is to break up opponent's attacks.

My point is that if he could score more (and control the ball first time), what a player we would have on our hands.

Back
Top Bottom