Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What midfielder is deeper? Wink isnt playing behind Sissoko, I dont think Ive ever seen Winks in our own box....Which CM plays deeper, Eriksen?

:lennon:

Winks has 100% been playing deeper. Hence why he's the first player the defenders pass to when starting an attack, if they haven't knocked it long. Just like they tended to do with Wanyama and what they tended to do with Dier.

Look at the games average positions. The games heat maps. Winks is consistently shown as the deepest midfielder, which you'd expect from someone whos aim is to control a game.

Sure, there are times when Sissoko, playing to the right of Winks, does his job and tracks his midfield runner and defends that part of the pitch but again that doesn't make him a defensive midfielder, it makes him a hard working midfielder doing a solid job. Again, when Dele plays he does the exact same job.

Comparisons with peak Kante are silly. Comparisons with peak Wanyama are silly. Because its clear Sissoko does a completely different job to those. You COULD compare him to Kante this seasons though, when it's clear he isn't playing as a defensive midfielder as confirmed by Sarri.

In all honesty, Sissoko was excellent against Dortmund because he was played in a different position. I'd love for him to play more central in the league.

Last edited:
I think he's about as defensive as he is attacking. What do people tend to call that? Box to box?

Winks currently playing as the defensive screen/recycler.

Without Dele, Sissoko is the closest we have to a box-to-box midfielder in the Kante, Ballack, Toure mould.

We were all wondering what we purchased when we first arrived (I thought he was more of an AM/winger when he came). He's turned into a solid, no complaints, tireless, relatively injury-free, midfield dynamo. Get's up and down the pitch over and over again.

I just wish he could control the ball with fewer touches, and score more goals. You expect about 10 a season from a top class B2B midfielder. He won't get anywhere near that this season.

How the fuck can you not understand. I even drew a fucking diagram?

How can he play centrally when the three were Winks, Sissoko and Eriksen? This is most used line up this season:

Winks
Sissoko------------------Eriksen

eySglCY.png

In this system Winks is the central pivot, holder and Sissoko and Eriksen have similar remits, to transition the ball - whilst at the same time doing regular midfield duties (that any midfielder 4/6/8 has to do) without the ball.

How the fuck is that me saying we have three 8's?

Even the less frequent occasions we play a CM2 - it's always Winks (or Wanyama on Saturday) that has the more disciplined remit

IP5MBAZ.png

Look where Wanyama (12) is, and where Sissoko (17) is. One is clearly protecting the defence, the other more forward and right.

Arguing he's a DM, you are not doing yourself/him any favours because he's a fucking shit defensively - compared to any half decent DM and many that aren't pure DM's. He tackles the same amount as Eriksen, pressure events (pressure and regains) are worse than Eriksen. And Eriksen is definitely not renowned for his defensive capabilities is he?

Sissoko has no footballing brain. Even defensively he is reactive, and slow to reacte too, compared to people like Kante or even Wanyama two years ago.

Offensively, which has been a major part of his remit for most games, he's fucking turgid most weeks. Against Burnley he competed 24 passes, 8 of them forward, Cheslea he made 32 passes (while Winks playing the more defensive role made 90), 11 forward. Woolwich 33 passes, 15 forwards.

I can say for sure now that you dont understand football.

Winks currently playing as the defensive screen/recycler.

Without Dele, Sissoko is the closest we have to a box-to-box midfielder in the Kante, Ballack, Toure mould.

We were all wondering what we purchased when we first arrived (I thought he was more of an AM/winger when he came). He's turned into a solid, no complaints, tireless, relatively injury-free, midfield dynamo. Get's up and down the pitch over and over again.

I just wish he could control the ball with fewer touches, and score more goals. You expect about 10 a season from a top class B2B midfielder. He won't get anywhere near that this season.

I think we saw what Sissoko can offer when he plays centrally, there was a clear change in the first half when we put Eriksen RM, Son LM and then put Sissoko centrally with Winks. They couldn't handle him.

We actually looked a lot better from when we usually play 3 in the middle with Winks, as you say the defensive screen, and Sissoko out on the right. He got an assist from it!

But I've always disliked the diamond formation. (though I also think that's down to the personnel we have)

But Sissoko is defensive
I think Sissoko less defensive than Dier but more defensive than most midfielders. You dont see Eriksen running into our box chasing out opponents and winning the ball ever. Sissoko covers in for our full backs who've gone up to attack as well, Eriksen never does that. If anyone thinks Eriksen and Sissoko have been given the same jobs by Poch, they are fucking mental.

Still Sissoko gets to be more attacking with someone like Dier next to him instead of Winks because Dier needs less help in defending.

I think Sissoko less defensive than Dier but more defensive than most midfielders.

Well OK. Personally I don't want to see Sissoko too close to our defence! His first touch is too suspect. I'd leave that to Winks or Dier and the defence.

I don't want to see Eriksen chasing around our box either (as I wouldn't expect Son or Kane). There has to be an outlet when we get the ball back and break.

Eriksen and Sissoko - chalk and cheese - other than they wear a white shirt! Might as well compare Lloris and Kane.

He needs to score more - pure and simple. We've relied for too long on Kane's and Dele's goals and this season Son. It was a real problem with Dembele and now with Sissoko.

Well OK. Personally I don't want to see Sissoko too close to our defence! His first touch is too suspect. I'd leave that to Winks or Dier and the defence.

I don't want to see Eriksen chasing around our box either (as I wouldn't expect Son or Kane). There has to be an outlet when we get the ball back and break.

Eriksen and Sissoko - chalk and cheese - other than they wear a white shirt! Might as well compare Lloris and Kane.

He needs to score more - pure and simple. We've relied for too long on Kane's and Dele's goals and this season Son. It was a real problem with Dembele and now with Sissoko.
Sure it would be nice if all our CMs scored more goals, Winks, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, they all barely ever score. But they are all playing quite deep, so its hard to score from that far.

Sure it would be nice if all our CMs scored more goals, Winks, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, they all barely ever score. But they are all playing quite deep, so its hard to score from that far.

Agreed. But let's be fair, we can't expect too many from Winks or Dier in the position they're playing (other than from a set piece in Dier's case). But from Sissoko - yes - about 10 a season. He doesn't always play deep and runs at defences. At least the same number from Eriksen and Dele.

No idea what to expect from Wanyama as he's played so little.

I think Sissoko less defensive than Dier but more defensive than most midfielders. You dont see Eriksen running into our box chasing out opponents and winning the ball ever. Sissoko covers in for our full backs who've gone up to attack as well, Eriksen never does that. If anyone thinks Eriksen and Sissoko have been given the same jobs by Poch, they are fucking mental.

Still Sissoko gets to be more attacking with someone like Dier next to him instead of Winks because Dier needs less help in defending.

You do see Eriksen doing defensive work, when we play the cm3 (the diamond format we’ve played most this season) especially, as he’s playing as an 8, it’s part of his duties.

Sissoko might do a bit more tracking runners than Eriksen, but that does not make him a defensive midfielder. In no application that we play is Sissoko ever the deepest midfield screen.

I’m not saying Sissoko and Eriksen are identical players doing identical things, I’m saying when we play the Winks CM3 system with Eriksen and Sissoko, it’s played as a Winks+two 8’s system. Both Sissoko and Eriksen have midfielder responsibilities on their side of the pitch but they are also expected to contribute offensively in transitioning, with Winks providing the holding remit.

Whoever plays in a CM2 double pivot will obviously have to do more defensive work, there’s now 2 players instead of 3. But in no system we play has Sissoko ever been the de facto “DM”.

And the bottom line is, if he was, he’s doing a shit job of it. Because we’ve all seen what a good DM looks like.

The fact that Sissoko tackles at the same rate as Eriksen, and his pressure stats are even worse than Eriksen’s should tell you he’s not brilliant defensively.

I was very harsh on him before this season. I still think we can do better, but to say he hasn’t helped our team this year is being blind.

What I have been most impressed with is his engine and desire to chase and win the ball back.

I was very harsh on him before this season. I still think we can do better, but to say he hasn’t helped our team this year is being blind.

What I have been most impressed with is his engine and desire to chase and win the ball back.

Sissoko has gone from a player that many saw as completely surplus to requirements to someone that you simply cannot not have in your squad now. His physical presence, engine and heart is something you cannot ignore now. The big man brings so much more than his ability to the team. He like Kane shows how important it is to never give up and to go into a game or the club with the right attitude as it really will get you far. Sissoko over a quality, miserable, sulking shit all day long

Last edited:
Sissoko has gone from a player that many saw as completely surplismto requirements to someone that you simply cannot not have in your squad now. His physical presence, engine and heart is something you cannot ignore now. The big man brings so much more than his ability to the team. He like Kane shows how important it is to never give up and to go into a game or the club with the right attitude as it really will get you far. Sissoko over a quality, miserable, sulking shit all day long

What quality, sulking, miserable shit would get games for us? When was the last time we had a player that fits that description? Adebayor 5 years ago ?

Look, I get the fella trundles about, and he shows willing, but I expect at least that as a minimum of any player.

I'm sorry but I want a fuck load more at this stage of our evolution.

Agreed. But let's be fair, we can't expect too many from Winks or Dier in the position they're playing (other than from a set piece in Dier's case). But from Sissoko - yes - about 10 a season. He doesn't always play deep and runs at defences. At least the same number from Eriksen and Dele.

Sorry to say but I think Big Vic is finished sadly

Sissoko is never going to score ten a season again sadly

Thought he’d scored against the Scum but not to be

Not sure how anyone can expect 10 goals from Sissoko, the lad has scored 12 goals in the league since he arrived in England 6 years ago, we can count ourself very lucky if he somehow manages to score 5 goals.

Shooting and scoring is just not his thing and that's never gonna change.

What quality, sulking, miserable shit would get games for us? When was the last time we had a player that fits that description? Adebayor 5 years ago ?

Look, I get the fella trundles about, and he shows willing, but I expect at least that as a minimum of any player.

I'm sorry but I want a fuck load more at this stage of our evolution.

I get that his quality lacks in certain departments but he doesn't stop running, he has such a big frame and for me he warrants a place in our squad not based on bias but on merit.

He offers something extremely unique to the midfield and his defensive cover has been majestic at times I'm 100% in the Sissoko to stay camp. A lot of heart can really rub off on players and I think he's been standout this year. How he's battled away to leave even his own teams supporters off his back has been something I hugely respect. I like his story, I hope it continues to develop further in a Spurs shirt and if that means another gear gets found even better

I get that his quality lacks in certain departments but he doesn't stop running, he has such a big frame and for me he warrants a place in our squad not based on bias but on merit.

He offers something extremely unique to the midfield and his defensive cover has been majestic at times I'm 100% in the Sissoko to stay camp. A lot of heart can really rub off on players and I think he's been standout this year. How he's battled away to leave even his own teams supporters off his back has been something I hugely respect. I like his story, I hope it continues to develop further in a Spurs shirt and if that means another gear gets found even better

Yeah, lovely story, big frame, some running...

Need more to get me excited these days mate I'm afraid.

Dont think Poch asks that off him though. At least I hope he doesnt. Id rather Sissoko does his runs that he is good at and then passes to others who have a better shot like Eriksen, Son, Kane, Alli etc. Eriksen wimps out of tackles and doesnt fight for the ball as much which is also probably a Poch instruction since thats not what Eriksen is good at .

Not that it matters so much if he can just create a chance for Kane to score like against Dortmund. As long as our CMs are creating chances thats more than good enough.

Back
Top Bottom