Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the most impressive thing is his decision making and vision. They aren't easily trained, so maybe it was psychological/nerves, but either way he's sorted it out and now doesn't seem like a waste of £30m.

I don't really agree with that, see the moment towards the end where he completely shat himself when he had time and space in the box to either pass or shoot. When he has too much time to think he always gets in a muddle.

He's playing to his absolute maximum and he is working his knackers off but his deficiencies are still obvious. For sure he will be with us next season but we need to bring in a quality CM to compete with him.

I think Winks probably deserves a whole lot more credit.

Just watch the games outside of Sissokos marauding runs and occasional interception and slide tackle. Winks is exposed every single week in midfield. Sissoko has been MUCH better than his previous 2 seasons but to be honest, he's also shown us this season that hes' still not a central midfielder worthy enough of starting for a team wanting to win anything.

What he HAS shown though is that he probably does deserve a place in this squad and I am so glad he's been able to turn it round.

People can argue we are where we are because of Sissokos upturn in form. But I could probably argue that we are also not higher because Sissoko has been one of our central midfield options for so long.
It’s not Sissokos job to babysit Winks though

How is Winks “exposed” by Sissoko? And Dier? And Wanyama?
We play a formation where we have deployed Eriksen into “the hole” just between the AMs and CMs, playing much deeper and doing a sort of Carrick thing.

And as such, it should be him providing options for Winks. Which in my opinion, he does.
Winks has a habit of picking the ball up and running full pelt into the nearest space, which is great, but he rarely links up with Son or Kane directly.

Sissoko is a DM, no matter what anyone tries to label him as. He has the Kante role.
When he’s out there babysitting Trippier and Aurier, he can’t always be there in the middle protecting Winks.
The CBs have to use their heads a bit, and not be so far forward as in the Woolwich game, and also help cover the midfield.
Kane and Son too must drop to help Winks more often.

If Sissoko is running around two yards from Winks all game, then we need to play with 3 CMs, rather pointless.

It’s not Sissokos job to babysit Winks though

How is Winks “exposed” by Sissoko? And Dier? And Wanyama?
We play a formation where we have deployed Eriksen into “the hole” just between the AMs and CMs, playing much deeper and doing a sort of Carrick thing.

And as such, it should be him providing options for Winks. Which in my opinion, he does.
Winks has a habit of picking the ball up and running full pelt into the nearest space, which is great, but he rarely links up with Son or Kane directly.

Sissoko is a DM, no matter what anyone tries to label him as. He has the Kante role.
When he’s out there babysitting Trippier and Aurier, he can’t always be there in the middle protecting Winks.
The CBs have to use their heads a bit, and not be so far forward as in the Woolwich game, and also help cover the midfield.
Kane and Son too must drop to help Winks more often.

If Sissoko is running around two yards from Winks all game, then we need to play with 3 CMs, rather pointless.

Sissoko is not a DM. He's not being used as a DM. In the 41212 we've played mostly this season, he's used as an 8 with Winks as the holding/controlling central pivot and Sissoko and Eriksen as the lateral 8's charged with transitioning the ball forwards and to the FB's.

When he plays in CM2's, it's more of a double pivot, so both CM's have to do a bit of both, but there's usually one more attacking than the other, and that's usually Sissoko, as again played more as the 8 with either Winks or, last week, Wanyama, as the more disciplined.

Comparing him to Kante is doing him no favours at all, because he's as far from being as proficient as Kante as busy cunt as he is from Pogba as a transitioner.

He doesn't even compare to Wanyama let alone Kante. Wanyama was a DM, and played almost entirely in a CM2, but even he got through 20% more ball per game than Sissoko does, double the tackles, double the interceptions, same key passes, 1 assist to Sissoko's 2, 4 goals to Sissoko's 0, and still managed to interact and protect his CB's and RB.

This babysitting Trippier and Aurier is just another load of bollocks trotted out by cult of Sissoko. He plays right midfield (mostly in a CM3 this year) it's his job to interact with his right back offensively and defensively. Personally I think both Trippier and Aurier have suffered from having someone with Sissoko's footballing limitations out there.

Sissoko is not a DM. He's not being used as a DM. In the 41212 we've played mostly this season, he's used as an 8 with Winks as the holding/controlling central pivot and Sissoko and Eriksen as the lateral 8's charged with transitioning the ball forwards and to the FB's.
Wait, so you are suggesting we playing up to three "8's" at the same time?

He doesn't even compare to Wanyama let alone Kante. Wanyama was a DM, and played almost entirely in a CM2, but even he got through 20% more ball per game than Sissoko does, double the tackles, double the interceptions, same key passes, 1 assist to Sissoko's 2, 4 goals to Sissoko's 0, and still managed to interact and protect his CB's and RB.
You literally said before that he is not a DM nor played as a DM, so why are comparing him in positioning and most of the key stats of a DM?

This babysitting Trippier and Aurier is just another load of bollocks trotted out by cult of Sissoko. He plays right midfield (mostly in a CM3 this year) it's his job to interact with his right back offensively and defensively. Personally I think both Trippier and Aurier have suffered from having someone with Sissoko's footballing limitations out there.
I'm trying to understand how you would come to this point, but I admit that I'm completely baffled at this. First of all, I don't understand what limitations you are referring to. His quality of play has made him likely one of the first names on the sheet and he has regularly been listed as a continual MotM candidate. His limitations haven't negatively impacting us almost at all recently.

As for Trippier, it isn't Moussa's fault that Trippier can be a defensive liability due to lack of pace and being wildly out of position, that he seemingly has lost all ability to put in a cross, and has continually turned over the ball with wayward passes. In fact, I can think of far more times in the past couple of months where Sissoko covered Trippier's ass by hustling back to cover his area when he was out of position or recovered the ball due to his mistake, than Trippier creating chances.

As for Aurier, I think that his biggest issues have nothing to do with Sissoko. Rather, I would say that the past couple of times I have seen them play together that they actually play quite well off one another. Aurier's issues have come from poor decision making and he has proven to be a defensive liability at times because of it.

You're clutching at straws on this one.

Wait, so you are suggesting we playing up to three "8's" at the same time?

How an earth did you manage to construe that from what I said. Again:

In the 41212 we've played mostly this season, he's used as an 8 (an 8 isn't a DM you know that right) with Winks as the holding/controlling central pivot and Sissoko and Eriksen as the lateral 8's charged with transitioning the ball forwards and to the FB's.

Winks
Sissoko------------------Eriksen
Alli
Kane----------Moura/Son
You literally said before that he is not a DM nor played as a DM, so why are comparing him in positioning and most of the key stats of a DM?

Derrr....I didn't. I demonstrated that he's hardly ever been used as a pure DM, even in CM2's we've played, and even if people were calling him a DM he wouldn't be doing a very good job, and that even as a DM, Wanyama contributed more defensively and offensively than Sissoko does.

I'm trying to understand how you would come to this point, but I admit that I'm completely baffled at this. First of all, I don't understand what limitations you are referring to. His quality of play has made him likely one of the first names on the sheet and he has regularly been listed as a continual MotM candidate. His limitations haven't negatively impacting us almost at all recently.

The limitations that even most of his fanboys acknowledge. Technical limitations, just basically being uncomfortable trying to control the ball under duress, being uncomfortable receiving the ball under pressure, or taking the ball off the defence when they are being pressed, his lack of intelligent reading and positioning, offensively and defensively, trying to dribble but invariably just overrunning the ball and giving it away (like he did against Chelsea, Woolwich several times) like being played in against Dortmund and tripping over the ball - all of these things manifest in his performance stats, he doesn't tackle (1.2 per game) or press well (see pressure events Ive posted previously) a lot, he doesn't see much ball (for a midfielder) he doesn't create a lot (key passes or assist or XG buildup) never scores.

Can you not understand how this (his limitations) impacts us as a team, and those around him, and how much better we could be if we had a player in there who was better at all these aspects? And I'm not talking about a world beater here, just someone who could do simple stuff like receive the ball and pass it, tackle more, press better. You say they haven't impacted us at all, but how about not let Aaron Ramsey just run off him and score...A goal is a pretty big impact?

As for Trippier, it isn't Moussa's fault that Trippier can be a defensive liability due to lack of pace and being wildly out of position, that he seemingly has lost all ability to put in a cross, and has continually turned over the ball with wayward passes. In fact, I can think of far more times in the past couple of months where Sissoko covered Trippier's ass by hustling back to cover his area when he was out of position or recovered the ball due to his mistake, than Trippier creating chances.

As for Aurier, I think that his biggest issues have nothing to do with Sissoko. Rather, I would say that the past couple of times I have seen them play together that they actually play quite well off one another. Aurier's issues have come from poor decision making and he has proven to be a defensive liability at times because of it.

Trippier only completes 8% less 78% to 86% despite making 14 more passes a game and a proportion of those being crosses or attempted through balls, where Sissoko sees much less and never attempts an expansive pass, or incisive through ball (in other words Sissoko generally just keeps it very simple). Sissoko is dispossessed more than Trippier (1 v 0.7 pg) and takes double the unsuccessful touches (1.3 v 0.7) per game.

It's not Trippier's fault that Sissoko isn't very bright, doesn't read the game very well, allows overloads through lax pressure, doesn't tackle enough, doesn't help us play out from the press and allows runners to run past him.

Trippier has flaws, definitely, so does Aurier, but saying Sissoko has to babysit them is just bollocks, he is supposed to interact with them defensively and offensively. It's his job, whether playing as an 8 or in a CM2. He should do it better at times.

You're clutching at straws on this one.

hmmm....so a shit load of anecdotal evidence, real examples, a shit load of stats to back it up. But I'm the one clutching at straws?

To the tune of Casio by Jungle

Sissoko
Let me tell you something about Sissoko
He's the greatest player in the world you know
All the yids go wild when he scores goal
Sissoko Sissoko
(repeat)

He´s playing DM, thats why he´s defending from the middle of the pitch, and bringing the ball out aggressively and getting much much deeper to defend, right into the corner flag, helping the right back
Eriksen is not defending. Sissoko is, they have different roles. You think we have three "8s" with two playing the same role.
Not sure why you think he and Eriksen have the same job.....proper bizarre.

You laughed off any montages, maybe you should have watched them, so you can see what a DM does:

Comparing him to Kante is doing him no favours at all, because he's as far from being as proficient as Kante as busy cunt as he is from Pogba as a transitioner.

I didnt say he was as proficient as Kante, I sadi they have the same role
Heres Kante

Not sure how you can think Sissoko is playing more like Eriksen than Kante
Heres Eriksen this season

So Wanyama was better in a different system two years ago. The whole team was pretty much.
I didnt say he was better than Wanyama in his prime.

Watch games

Last edited:

When he plays in CM2's, it's more of a double pivot, so both CM's have to do a bit of both, but there's usually one more attacking than the other, and that's usually Sissoko, as again played more as the 8 with either Winks or, last week, Wanyama, as the more disciplined.

:pochfacepalm::pochbye:

How an earth did you manage to construe that from what I said. Again:

In the 41212 we've played mostly this season, he's used as an 8 (an 8 isn't a DM you know that right) with Winks as the holding/controlling central pivot and Sissoko and Eriksen as the lateral 8's charged with transitioning the ball forwards and to the FB's.

Winks
Alli
Kane----------Moura/Son

Derrr....I didn't. I demonstrated that he's hardly ever been used as a pure DM, even in CM2's we've played, and even if people were calling him a DM he wouldn't be doing a very good job, and that even as a DM, Wanyama contributed more defensively and offensively than Sissoko does.

The limitations that even most of his fanboys acknowledge. Technical limitations, just basically being uncomfortable trying to control the ball under duress, being uncomfortable receiving the ball under pressure, or taking the ball off the defence when they are being pressed, his lack of intelligent reading and positioning, offensively and defensively, trying to dribble but invariably just overrunning the ball and giving it away (like he did against Chelsea, Woolwich several times) like being played in against Dortmund and tripping over the ball - all of these things manifest in his performance stats, he doesn't tackle (1.2 per game) or press well (see pressure events Ive posted previously) a lot, he doesn't see much ball (for a midfielder) he doesn't create a lot (key passes or assist or XG buildup) never scores.

Can you not understand how this (his limitations) impacts us as a team, and those around him, and how much better we could be if we had a player in there who was better at all these aspects? And I'm not talking about a world beater here, just someone who could do simple stuff like receive the ball and pass it, tackle more, press better. You say they haven't impacted us at all, but how about not let Aaron Ramsey just run off him and score...A goal is a pretty big impact?

Trippier only completes 8% less 78% to 86% despite making 14 more passes a game and a proportion of those being crosses or attempted through balls, where Sissoko sees much less and never attempts an expansive pass, or incisive through ball (in other words Sissoko generally just keeps it very simple). Sissoko is dispossessed more than Trippier (1 v 0.7 pg) and takes double the unsuccessful touches (1.3 v 0.7) per game.

It's not Trippier's fault that Sissoko isn't very bright, doesn't read the game very well, allows overloads through lax pressure, doesn't tackle enough, doesn't help us play out from the press and allows runners to run past him.

Trippier has flaws, definitely, so does Aurier, but saying Sissoko has to babysit them is just bollocks, he is supposed to interact with them defensively and offensively. It's his job, whether playing as an 8 or in a CM2. He should do it better at times.

hmmm....so a shit load of anecdotal evidence, real examples, a shit load of stats to back it up. But I'm the one clutching at straws?

When you get out of bed each morning say out loud

“Each day in every way I will get better”

As the psychiatrist said in a Fawlty episode

“There’s enough material here for a conference “

Your clear agenda is boring

To be fair, I don't see Sissoko as a DM or playing as one.

:gallashmm:

Wherever

Despite the occasional poor control and final pass he’s playing well, has an impact and one of Poch’s first choices

MOST people have been won over by him and that doesn’t make them his fanboys which is quite a cheap shot imv

He´s playing DM, thats why he´s defending from the middle of the pitch, and bringing the ball out aggressively and getting much much deeper to defend, right into the corner flag, helping the right back
Eriksen is not defending. Sissoko is, they have different roles. You think we have three "8s" with two playing the same role.
Not sure why you think he and Eriksen have the same job.....proper bizarre.

How the fuck can you not understand. I even drew a fucking diagram?

How can he play centrally when the three were Winks, Sissoko and Eriksen? This is most used line up this season:

Winks

eySglCY.png

In this system Winks is the central pivot, holder and Sissoko and Eriksen have similar remits, to transition the ball - whilst at the same time doing regular midfield duties (that any midfielder 4/6/8 has to do) without the ball.

How the fuck is that me saying we have three 8's?

Even the less frequent occasions we play a CM2 - it's always Winks (or Wanyama on Saturday) that has the more disciplined remit

IP5MBAZ.png

Look where Wanyama (12) is, and where Sissoko (17) is. One is clearly protecting the defence, the other more forward and right.

Arguing he's a DM, you are not doing yourself/him any favours because he's a fucking shit defensively - compared to any half decent DM and many that aren't pure DM's. He tackles the same amount as Eriksen, pressure events (pressure and regains) are worse than Eriksen. And Eriksen is definitely not renowned for his defensive capabilities is he?

Sissoko has no footballing brain. Even defensively he is reactive, and slow to reacte too, compared to people like Kante or even Wanyama two years ago.

Offensively, which has been a major part of his remit for most games, he's fucking turgid most weeks. Against Burnley he competed 24 passes, 8 of them forward, Cheslea he made 32 passes (while Winks playing the more defensive role made 90), 11 forward. Woolwich 33 passes, 15 forwards.

Wherever

Despite the occasional poor control and final pass he’s playing well, has an impact and one of Poch’s first choices

MOST people have been won over by him and that doesn’t make them his fanboys which is quite a cheap shot imv

Over exaggerating every single thing he does, calling really hum drum ordinary things "brilliant", calling really ordinary performances "MOTM" nearly every week (like against Woolwich when his letting Ramsey run off him helped cost us their goal) refusing to see the multitude of things he does badly, ever. Posting a 2 min youtube highlight of a really meh performance against Leicester, a game in which we were outplayed, and calling it an example of his fantastic ability? That's being a fanboy*

* not all those things are you.

Back
Top Bottom