Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There’s little point whining about media bias. We all know it exists, but is it worth actually complaining about? Surely what is important are the cold hard facts: that Spurs failed against Leicester in 2015-16 and that if Liverpool fail to win this season — it’s not over till it’s over — they will have failed in their objective also? Hacks can spin away failure all they like but only one club collects the silverware in question at the end of the season.

In a way, biased media analysis and generally fawning coverage of certain clubs or managers tends to be detrimental to its would-be beneficiaries, in that they give a false impression of the true values in the field, and can lead the ‘favoured’ clubs to make bad decisions which can potentially set them back years.

Just look at United being unable to resist media pressure to set ‘Ole at the wheel’, a decision which is sure to come back to haunt them, or Liverpool giving in to nostalgia and reappointing Kenny Dalglish as manager some time ago, which set them back in their rebuild by a good few years.

Klopp is a very good manager, as is Poch; neither is perfect, neither is a miracle worker. Their respective failures to win the league (in Klopp’s case I’m assuming for the sake of argument that Man City go on to win the title this year) should not cause people to lose sight of the excellent job they’re doing and the long-term upward trajectory on which they’ve placed their clubs.

Mourinho won more titles at United during his brief tenure than Klopp and Poch combined during their longer tenures at Liverpool and Spurs respectively; yet does anybody view his time at United as a success?

My advice is to not get sucked into this dog chasing its own tail cycle of real time scanning of every broadcast or tweet or article or opinion piece for evidence of bias. You’re giving these people way too much credit. Their jobs require them to fill the airwaves, pollute the internet and waste newspaper ink with something or other, however vacuous or inane.

So, for want of genuine insight or analytical capacity, most of the time the majority of them resort to the well worn gambits of playing devil’s advocate; intentionally winding people up to get a reaction by (for instance) presenting a tough Tottenham loss in a way that stops just short of using the actual word “spursy”; having a laugh by (for instance) casually dropping references like “slip” and “slipping” in a piece about Liverpool’s title bid; and generally just rehashing the usual pub talking points in a slightly more artful way.

Throwing pity parties about how a monolithic media ‘they’ are blowing smoke up the arses of certain clubs whilst conspiring against plucky underdog Spurs only guarantees that the Chiellinis of the world will continue to be able to observe, quite truthfully and dispassionately, that “it’s the history of Tottenham.....they always create many chances and score so much but, in the end, they miss always something to arrive at the end” for as long as the persecution complex persists. Don’t let the warmed over ‘opinions’ of a bunch of coked-up hacks bother you in the slightest; deveop a thicker skin.
I agree with all of that, but I also like to have a good old moan....and this is one of the very few things concerning Spurs that I can moan about...

I had to laugh at Danny Murphy on MOTD talking about Klopp. he said it was ridiculous to talk about Liverpool's lack of trophies as he has done so much it's irrelevant.

You couldn't make it up. :levylol:

Da fuck has he done exactly?

Spent a fuck load of cash to finally finish above spurs.... Wow!

I had to laugh at Danny Murphy on MOTD talking about Klopp. he said it was ridiculous to talk about Liverpool's lack of trophies as he has done so much it's irrelevant.

I laughed on MOTD2 when that Chappers cunt said that Van Dijk pushing Sissoko wide was one of the iconic images of the season....FFS, even if Van Dijk was 50 yards away Sissoko would still have missed it...

Incredible isn't it? We get the whole 'whats Poch won't despite a net spend of what £18m in 5 years?

Just goes to show you can't listen to these so called experts. If I was a professional I'd actively steer clear of all social media & television involving me or my team.

This morning BT Sport tweeted this and then deleted it.

D5YcCTsWkAEE_Pk.jpg

The media play to the masses, the popular trends that are in fashion, we probably peaked our media popularity during old Harry’s time at the club, when we were the new shinny toy treating the established top 4 at the time.
Our expectations have increased so much since then to now, that barring winning the league or CL we are just that annoying club that is always hanging around like a bad smell without actually doing anything “news worthy”.....the new stadium did peak interest for a few weeks to be fair, but we are going to be the “grey man” until something extraordinarily happens again.....
Unfortunately it’s part of the game these days and a massive big signing or two in the summer may just get them drooling again, and from an advertising point of view we need that...
It’s like celebrities, they aren’t celebrities without the media, good or bad!

I think it hasn't helped that in the previous 2 rounds we've played (and beaten) past incumbents of 'Media flavours of the Month' in the shape of Borussia "Hipsters Delight" Dortmund, and Manchester 'Pep can do no wrong' City...
..and lo and behold, wouldn't ya just KNOW it, the NEW media favourites; Ajax, are up next!

Gawd help us if Liverpool make it to the final... whoever meets them is gonna be the ARCH VILLAIN of the piece! (And I'm hoping to fuck it's us!)

This is a rationally correct take given the progress Klopp and Liverpool have made over the past 4-5 seasons. However, given the irrational world football punditry inhabits, to Danny I say:

BuT wHaT hAs KlOpP wOn?

I think it hasn't helped that in the previous 2 rounds we've played (and beaten) past incumbents of 'Media flavours of the Month' in the shape of Borussia "Hipsters Delight" Dortmund, and Manchester 'Pep can do no wrong' City...
..and lo and behold, wouldn't ya just KNOW it, the NEW media favourites; Ajax, are up next!

Gawd help us if Liverpool make it to the final... whoever meets them is gonna be the ARCH VILLAIN of the piece! (And I'm hoping to fuck it's us!)

Basically anybody we come up against is going to be the media favourite let's face it, they hate us for some weird reason, I am not sure what we have done to make them hate us so much though.

Probably something to do with the fact that the media is full of goons and scouse twats and spurs have a severe lack of pundits that favour us.

I agree, every time we play a big team they side with them and then when we play a shit team they side with the plucky underdogs. It's like we fall in the middle. Fuck them all.

Media yesterday was a solid Ajax love in. I got in the car home and had to listen to ten minutes (I timed it!) of idiots banging on about how good Ajax are and the implied tone was that every single one of these clowns was the first to spot it.

Today’s press - the tone is “Yeah, Barca are good but they’re not that good. They can be got at”.

I mean I’m surprised any more but FFS

Media yesterday was a solid Ajax love in. I got in the car home and had to listen to ten minutes (I timed it!) of idiots banging on about how good Ajax are and the implied tone was that every single one of these clowns was the first to spot it.

Today’s press - the tone is “Yeah, Barca are good but they’re not that good. They can be got at”.

I mean I’m surprised any more but FFS
I'm sure they all picked Ajax over Madrid and Juve.

I like Ajax and they are a fun team to watch and frankly what we as football supporters should want out of football in basically every sense, so I don't mind if they get a universal reach around. At least they deserve it.

How do we think the media would be reporting the game last night if Liverpool had to play Origi, Sturrridge, Lallana & Shaqiri last night instead of Salah, Mane, Firmino etc?

The lack of insight as to how no Kane, Son, Winks, Sissoko and a Dele with broken bones has effected us is crazy. All we get is the finger pointed at us because Vertonghen's stomach turned at the thought of a bit of claret. The blokes fine, our medical staff acted accordingly and correct

Last edited:
How do we think the media would be reporting the game last night if Liverpool had to play Origi, Sturbridge, Lallana & Shaqiri last night instead of Salah, Mane, Firmino etc?

The lack of insight as to how no Kane, Son, Winks, Sissoko and a Dele with broken bones has effected us is crazy. All we get is the finger pointed at us because Vertonghen's stomach turned at the thought of a bit of claret. The blokes fine, our medical staff acted accordingly and correct

I’d like to see how Liverpool would have done if Salah had fucked off to Egypt a couple of times, Mane and Firmino had missed most of the season and they had missed almost every single player at some point due to injury.

365 saying it like it is ..............

"Spurs were schooled as Ajax dished out a football education with a masterful, measured performance. They were too clever, too cute, too intricate for these Tottenham darlings in a ridiculously one-sided semi-final first leg"

Unlike Neil Ashton of The Sun – because of course it is Neil Ashton of The Sun – we waited until full-time before passing judgement on this ‘ridiculously one-sided’ 1-0 win from Ajax.

But of course the scoreline can be deceptive and even 1-0s can be ‘ridiculously one-sided’. Of course they can. So let’s look at some of the other statistics, as helpfully provided by The Sun themselves.

Passes: Tottenham 476 Ajax 458

Possession: Tottenham 51% Ajax 49%.

But of course that means nothing, because maybe all Tottenham’s possession was in their own half?

Touches in opposition box: Tottenham 30 Ajax 22.

Oh so maybe Ajax just got more shots away? Maybe Spurs somehow managed to have sterile possession within Ajax’s box. Sounds weird but…

Total shots: Tottenham 12 Ajax 10.

But of course it’s all about the shots on target. There must have been a gulf…

Shots on target: Tottenham 1 Ajax 2

It doesn’t sound like, to quote The Sun, that Ajax had ‘ruthless, compelling passing and possession stats’. And it doesn’t sound like ‘Ajax just boxed Mauricio Pochettino’s players inside their own penalty area’.

It sounds like typical Media Bias

Back
Top Bottom