Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m not bothered about trophies. It’s not like I’m winning them. Winning the league cup doesn’t make me a better person. People who obsess over trophies are weird. Join a darts team or something.
I just want to enjoy watching Spurs. And I do. We win more than we ever have, with more style than we ever have, with players that love the club more than I've ever seen. But I also enjoyed watching them in the 90's, as shite as we were.

If that's not enough for some, more fool them.

Trophies are the cherry. I don't play cricket on a Saturday or football on a Sunday to win (although a bonus). I play because I enjoy it. If your only enjoyment in Spurs is winning trophies, it's not the club for you.

Plenty of people provide occasional constructive criticism (or even knee jerk emotional comments) on Pochettino, Levy, or any number of our players. That’s a bit different to constantly criticising Pochettino and Levy and our players. Most posters on here will find positives and negatives that don’t chime with one another, but when there’s a tendency to find doom and gloom in everything about the club it soon gets a bit tiresome.

As for success, yes we’ve had some hugely talented sides, and yes I’m disappointed with our lack of trophies over the last decade. But we’ve also been up against several other very talented sides (almost all of which simply have bigger pockets than us). Since last winning a trophy we’ve been in two League Cup finals (losing one on penalties), and four FA Cup semi-finals, as well as finishing runners-up in the league (though I don’t think we’ve ever been in a realistic position to genuinely compete for it). No trophies, but hardly a sign of a club not looking to win something.

What would you have us do differently?

Oh come on Jerry Pochetinho is untouchable - that’s the case across all of the Spurs message boards. Just look at the overaction to any negative press media that he receives. And that is where most of my ire rests - I am on the whole happy with Levy and has consistent stated this squad is one of the best around ( whilst many of this have attempted to talk it down in order to elevate Poch).

And you are seriously stretching with the two league cup finals and 4 FA Cup semi finals. Just look who we have played to get to those stages - the pattern is there with them all - the first decent team we have played we have lost. And I have mentioned the financial capacity aspect before - we have been able to maximise the Dortmund model and have negated that in the short term. We have built one of the best squads in the league so the elite clubs added capacity becomes irrelevant - certainly in this timeframe in question, the field has been levelled. And people who level this argument completely ignore the UEFA cup where we have often been the club with the greatest financial capacity but haven’t got past the quarterfinal stage whilst clubs with significantly resources to ours like Sevilla have won 5 cups.

The solution is simply the priority and strategy of the club has to change - we are repeating the same approach so is any wonder why the outcome remains the same. This obsession with the CL has to end - this open disregard of the tournaments that represent our best chance of success has to change. There needs to be a level of expectation placed on this team - the talent warrants it and yet the majority of the supporter base is virtually passive in that regard.

Last edited:
I’m not bothered about trophies. It’s not like I’m winning them. Winning the league cup doesn’t make me a better person. People who obsess over trophies are weird. Join a darts team or something.

I both agree, and don't agree with this.

It does bother me a bit that we still aren't winning trophies...I'm as thirsty for a trophy as Ossie Wembley is for cock.

That said, I just love watching us play, and probably get as much, if not more, pleasure from watching us absolutely beast teams like Real Madrid. If I had to pick winning the league cup, or beating Real 3-1 in the champions league, I'd pick the latter, for sure.

I just want to enjoy watching Spurs. And I do. We win more than we ever have, with more style than we ever have, with players that love the club more than I've ever seen. But I also enjoyed watching them in the 90's, as shite as we were.

If that's not enough for some, more fool them.

Trophies are the cherry. I don't play cricket on a Saturday or football on a Sunday to win (although a bonus). I play because I enjoy it. If your only enjoyment in Spurs is winning trophies, it's not the club for you.

I don’t know where my cricket trophies are (except for my silver ringed ball for a 10 for 7. My old man has that). :pochsmirk:

Deep down, very deep down...I completely, purely, utterly despise you.

RevolvingConfusedBushbaby-size_restricted.gif

This obsession with the CL has to end - this open disregard of the tournaments that represent our best chance of success has to change.
You complain about lack of winning trophies but want to end the CL aim.

Well you can't have it both ways. You consistently fail to qualify or the CL and players leave/don't want to join you. Thus, reducing your chance of winning trophies.

Unless by trophies you just want to win stuff like the League Cup/Europa League.

You complain about lack of winning trophies but want to end the CL aim.

Well you can't have it both ways. You consistently fail to qualify or the CL and players leave/don't want to join you. Thus, reducing your chance of winning trophies.

Unless by trophies you just want to win stuff like the League Cup/Europa League.

I’m not saying that I don’t want us to be in the CL - I simply don’t want this to be the defining priority which it clearly has been for well over a decade. I can understand the board favouring this - they are commercially minded but for the supporterbase to follow suit is utterly bizarre.

And that CL narrative is a complete falsehood - the CL doesn’t shield us from the elite ( they can offfer CL and far more) it doesn’t enable us to sign better players ( the revenues are simply not large enough) and we only need to look at our transfer activity in recent seasons as proof of that. It doesn’t place us amongst elite and everyone on here knows that. So tell again why should this our main expectation - why are we so hell bent of mirroring the failures of Wenger?

I’m not saying that I don’t want us to be in the CL - I simply don’t want this to be the defining priority which it clearly has been for well over a decade. I can understand the board favouring this - they are commercially minded but for the supporterbase to follow suit is utterly bizarre.

And that CL narrative is a complete falsehood - the CL doesn’t shield us from the elite ( they can offfer CL and far more) it doesn’t enable us to sign better players ( the revenues are simply not large enough) and we only need to look at our transfer activity in recent seasons as proof of that. It doesn’t place us amongst elite and everyone on here knows that. So tell again why should this our main expectation - why are we so hell bent of mirroring the failures of Wenger?
Our most recent signing, Lucas Moura, would not have joined us if we were not in CL.

Oh come on Jerry Pochetinho is untouchable - that’s the case across all of the Spurs message boards. Just look at the overaction to any negative press media that he receives. And that is where most of my ire rests - I am on the whole happy with Levy and has consistent stated this squad is one of the best around ( whilst many of this have attempted to talk it down in order to elevate Poch).

And you are seriously stretching with the two league cup finals and 4 FA Cup semi finals. Just look who we have played to get to those stages - the pattern is there with them all - the first decent team we have played we have lost. And I have mentioned the financial capacity aspect before - we have been able to maximise the Dortmund model and have negated that in the short term. We have built one of the best squads in the league so the elite clubs added capacity becomes irrelevant - certainly in this timeframe in question, the field has been levelled. And people who level this argument completely ignore the UEFA cup where we have often be the club with the greatest financial capacity but haven’t got past the quarterfinal stage whilst clubs with significantly resources to ours like Sevilla have won 5 cups?

The solution is simply the priority and strategy of the club has to change - we are repeating the same approach so is any wonder why the outcome remains the same. This obsession with the CL has to end - this open disregard of the tournaments that represent our best chance of success has to change. There needs to be a level of expectation placed on this team - the talent warrants it and yet the majority of the supporter base is virtually passive in that regard.

Pochettino is hardly untouchable. He gets a lot of criticism for some of his line-ups, tactics, and use of substitutes, just as any manager would. A lot of people, including me, were very critical of his decision to play Vorm in the semi v United.

I can’t agree with the idea of not prioritising the league. After a few seasons of finishing 6th, 7th or lower do you really think we’d still have a fantastic team left? Don’t you think that would diminish our chances of winning trophies? You say there needs to be a level expected of the team, yet want us to prioritise possible cup success over doing well in the league. Can you see the contradiction, or is the level we should expect that of a cup team occasionally winning a trophy after a fortunate run of fixtures, but being also rans in the league?

Ideally we’d have the money to be able to have the squad depth of some of the mega bucks clubs, enabling us to rotate the team and still be one of the best in the country. In truth, even if we were we’ll still come up against tough opponents in the latter stages.

Given a choice between winning the FA Cup or finishing top 4 I’d go for the former, but in the real world I’d always want us to aim to do as well in the league as possible, as in this day and age it makes a huge difference when it comes to building and keeping a strong team, which just so happens to be the best way of improving (not guaranteeing) our chances of trophies.

Oh please - PSG were desperate to get rid, he could no longer get in a pretty poor Brazil side and he cost £26 million which in today’s market is virtually nothing.
And now he’s back in the Brazil side. Who would you give credit to for that? Surely not Poch the Imposter? And is it a bad thing to sign players for relatively little?

Back
Top Bottom