Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pochettino is hardly untouchable. He gets a lot of criticism for some of his line-ups, tactics, and use of substitutes, just as any manager would. A lot of people, including me, were very critical of his decision to play Vorm in the semi v United.

I can’t agree with the idea of not prioritising the league. After a few seasons of finishing 6th, 7th or lower do you really think we’d still have a fantastic team left? Don’t you think that would diminish our chances of winning trophies? You say there needs to be a level expected of the team, yet want us to prioritise possible cup success over doing well in the league. Can you see the contradiction, or is the level we should expect that of a cup team occasionally winning a trophy after a fortunate run of fixtures, but being also rans in the league?

Ideally we’d have the money to be able to have the squad depth of some of the mega bucks clubs, enabling us to rotate the team and still be one of the best in the country. In truth, even if we were we’ll still come up against tough opponents in the latter stages.

Given a choice between winning the FA Cup or finishing top 4 I’d go for the former, but in the real world I’d always want us to aim to do as well in the league as possible, as in this day and age it makes a huge difference when it comes to building and keeping a strong team, which just so happens to be the best way of improving (not guaranteeing) our chances of trophies.

If after 5 years at the club and no silverware to show for it the level of criticism centres on substitutions and team selections then that really says it all. I’m one of a very few supporters who challenge his tenure and just look at the vitriol i receive. Again the man is untouchable for many.

And the point is not to disregard the league - I don’t want to us disgraced anything. If comparable teams such as A. Madrid and Dortmund have been able to compete on multiple fronts and win silverware then there is no reason why we cannot - we have the players, we have the squad. As Bill Nic said it’s better to fail aiming high than succeed aiming low. When you have supporters openly state that they are not really bothered about winning silverware then something is rotten at the club.

I’m not bothered about trophies. It’s not like I’m winning them. Winning the league cup doesn’t make me a better person. People who obsess over trophies are weird. Join a darts team or something.
On the flip side, I think there is an expectancy now though Joe. As in, we’ve done everything other than win something, the only way to progress from where we are now is to go ahead and win something.

It’s like the “golden generation” England team... I want to see this team do something and not be nearly men. It’s not imperative, but for this squad to mean anything past fondness in years to come, they need to place a marker.

Personally, I haven’t particularly enjoyed this season, or more specifically the football, so far. However, I attribute that more to the ongoing Wembley effect and team disruption. How anyone can be upset with Poch is beyond me, other than some naive choices at times.

On the flip side, I think there is an expectancy now though Joe. As in, we’ve done everything other than win something, the only way to progress from where we are now is to go ahead and win something.

It’s like the “golden generation” England team... I want to see this team do something and not be nearly men. It’s not imperative, but for this squad to mean anything past fondness in years to come, they need to place a marker.

Personally, I haven’t particularly enjoyed this season, or more specifically the football, so far. However, I attribute that more to the ongoing Wembley affect and team disruption. How anyone can be upset with Poch is beyond me, other than some naive choices at times.

Yes Wooks, I understand that. My point was purely personal.

If after 5 years at the club and no silverware to show for it the level of criticism centres on substitutions and team selections then that really says it all. I’m one of a very few supporters who challenge his tenure and just look at the vitriol i receive. Again the man is untouchable for many.

And the point is not to disregard the league - I don’t want to us disgraced anything. If comparable teams such as A. Madrid and Dortmund have been able to compete on multiple fronts and win silverware then there is no reason why we cannot - we have the players, we have the squad. As Bill Nic said it’s better to fail aiming high than succeed aiming low. When you have supporters openly state that they are not really bothered about winning silverware then something is rotten at the club.
Since when did the opinions of a few supporters reflect, in any way shape or form, the ownership, management or attitudes of the players of Tottenham Hotspur?
They don't, and they never will.

Your statement is precisely why posters on here regard you as an utter cockwomble.

So he would have agreed with Poch then? Fail aiming high for the PL or CL or succeed aiming low with the league cup? You should think things through before you post. You’re a mass of contradictions.
:pochlol:He's got you on ignore hasn't he. YOU DO NOT EXIST.
giphy.gif

When you have supporters openly state that they are not really bothered about winning silverware then something is rotten at the club

Why because I’m not bothered about trophies does that mean something is rotten at the club? That’s some reach Hoody. Are we all meant to be like you? I thought you admired independent thought and opinion, or is that only when they align with yours?

Last edited:

Poch hasnt won silverware with us and so some idiots think that proves he is not a great manager. But look at Furguson, widely regarded as the greatest ever British manager and yet he won nothing at Utd for his first 4 years. He had more advantages than Poch imo, ie far more financial resources, weaker competition and the experience behind him of winning cups in Scotland.
Some Utd fans wanted to drive him out and the board nearly obliged. What a mistake that would have been.

Back
Top Bottom