Man Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur | Wednesday 19th Oct | KO 20:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This game is STILL irritating me 3 days later ....
The fact they beat Liverpool and Arse up there shouldn't make our result seem TOO bad.... but it feels like a missed opportunity to gain a result up there that others couldn't! (Bit like our results away at Man City/Liverpool last season...) proper statement results those were... and I felt gave us confidence going into other tricky away games.

Plus, we're STILL owed a massive slice of luck up there that hasn't materialised... The Mendes 'goal' still hasn't been rectified!! ...it's been 15+ years now!!

Swings and roundabouts my arse... some things just DON'T even themselves up... and now with VAR, I feel they never will!
It feels very familiar. We get to that point where we get into a position where we have a big game and a chance to make a statement and we absolutely bottle it. Pretty much bank on it happening another 2 or 3 times atleast this season.

It feels very familiar. We get to that point where we get into a position where we have a big game and a chance to make a statement and we absolutely bottle it. Pretty much bank on it happening another 2 or 3 times atleast this season.

Not true, there's been many times we've taken advantage and won a match against the odds.

This game is STILL irritating me 3 days later ....
The fact they beat Liverpool and Arse up there shouldn't make our result seem TOO bad.... but it feels like a missed opportunity to gain a result up there that others couldn't! (Bit like our results away at Man City/Liverpool last season...) proper statement results those were... and I felt gave us confidence going into other tricky away games.

Plus, we're STILL owed a massive slice of luck up there that hasn't materialised... The Mendes 'goal' still hasn't been rectified!! ...it's been 15+ years now!!

Swings and roundabouts my arse... some things just DON'T even themselves up... and now with VAR, I feel they never will!

martial red card leading to us thrashing them 1-6?

You pick me 5 of that happening and I'll pick you 25 where we bottled it. Happens a lot more often than us showing up to be counted when it really matters.

Define bottling it when it matters?

Because under Conte we've won far more many games than we've lost and even going back to any period in say the last 10 years under various managers or so our W column far outweighs the L's like for example our run in last season where we won 8 of the last 11 matches to get into the top 4, if we hadn't have done that and finished 5th the narrative would have been spun to say we bottled it, we didn't.

Unless you're talking about finals then you're right but you pointed to this specific match which was a league game so...

I think I'm right in saying that no top 6 club has beaten another away this season so far ?

Indeed and the schedule is kind of messed up for us, if it hasn't been for Lizzie passing we would have played City, Chelsea, Woolwich, Utd, West Ham and Brighton away in the first 2 months of the season.

Obviously things will be in our favour in the 2nd half of the season where we play these teams at home, only 'tough' games are at Anfield and St James and the re-arranged City match after Xmas.

Define bottling it when it matters?

Because under Conte we've won far more many games than we've lost and even going back to any period in say the last 10 years under various managers or so our W column far outweighs the L's like for example our run in last season where we won 8 of the last 11 matches to get into the top 4, if we hadn't have done that and finished 5th the narrative would have been spun to say we bottled it, we didn't.

Unless you're talking about finals then you're right but you pointed to this specific match which was a league game so...
Brighton at home after they beat Woolwich (luckily for us Woolwich bottled it harder last year) and we had the chance to catch them up. Bottled that. That kind of game. A statement game.We do that far more than what we did vs Woolwich last year. I'm talking about season defining games. The ones that give you belief that you're going to go on and win something or achieve something. There's moments like that all through the season we've had atleast 2 so far this season and bottled both and pretty sure it'll happen again when we get to a position where it looks like we may do something. If we didn't bottle it more often than not we'd have done a lot more than we have since 1991. I'm sick of the same old signs that we're the same old team.

I think I'm right in saying that no top 6 club has beaten another away this season so far ?
Yeah, but it seems to only ever be highlighted by pundits when it is us losing away to our rivals, so many times the other evening they made a big deal out of the fact that we beat the lower sides more frequently than the higher placed ones, as if that isn't the same for literally every club!

A side that beats the top 4 regularly but constantly drops points against the other 15 won't be anywhere near the top of the table, yet they would have you believe that those are the most vital results.

Brighton at home after they beat Woolwich (luckily for us Woolwich bottled it harder last year) and we had the chance to catch them up. Bottled that. That kind of game. A statement game.We do that far more than what we did vs Woolwich last year. I'm talking about season defining games. The ones that give you belief that you're going to go on and win something or achieve something. There's moments like that all through the season we've had atleast 2 so far this season and bottled both and pretty sure it'll happen again when we get to a position where it looks like we may do something. If we didn't bottle it more often than not we'd have done a lot more than we have since 1991. I'm sick of the same old signs that we're the same old team.

You use the Brighton match in the same period where we won 8 of our lat 11 matches including going to Anfield where our record is poor and taking much needed point and going to Etihad and beating the Champions?

If that was statement game then what were the others then in that same period? I've given you 8 matches there and you've given me 1 - hardly 5 to 25 but okay...

You seem to be hung up on this word bottle? You know teams lost matches from time to time right? It's okay to say we lost without insisting that we bottled it, it happens and guess what it happens to our rivals as well. That's what happens when you tend to play clubs with a lot of money in the best league, players, coaches in the world, you're going to lose from time to time.

You use the Brighton match in the same period where we won 8 of our lat 11 matches including going to Anfield where our record is poor and taking much needed point and going to Etihad and beating the Champions?

If that was statement game then what were the others then in that same period? I've given you 8 matches there and you've given me 1 - hardly 5 to 25 but okay...

You seem to be hung up on this word bottle? You know teams lost matches from time to time right? It's okay to say we lost without insisting that we bottled it, it happens and guess what it happens to our rivals as well. That's what happens when you tend to play clubs with a lot of money in the best league, players, coaches in the world, you're going to lose from time to time.
You're taking one run of games from last season and not all of them are everything on the line stand up and be counted games that I'm referring to. I said season after season. If you want to go back and look over those season defining moments then you'll find plenty if you want to go that deep into it with me I'll name you plenty. If you look at the big games this season alone so far Woolwich and United that's two (and a lucky draw vs chelsea)and not only losing but the manner in which we lost.

You're taking one run of games from last season and not all of them are everything on the line stand up and be counted games that I'm referring to. I said season after season. If you want to go back and look over those season defining moments then you'll find plenty if you want to go that deep into it with me I'll name you plenty. If you look at the big games this season alone so far Woolwich and United that's two (and a lucky draw vs chelsea)and not only losing but the manner in which we lost.

Tell me what other games you're referring to then?

If those run of matches where we were chasing top 4 (which is season defining is it not) then what matches are you talking about and again I already said we've won the vast majority of matches going back over the last decade or so, feel free to name them.

The big games this season we've lost against Woolwich and Utd, two away games, name me another team who have won away at their top 6 rivals this season?

We can agree that the manner that we lost was poor yes.

Back
Top Bottom