Man City Vs Tottenham - Sat 17th August 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just about recovered from Saturday. Hilarious end to a hard fought game, during the game I was frustrated with how much time and space they where having down the wings, but looking back it was a clear tactic that worked to limit then to as few clear cut chances as we did. We rode our luck but that's football, I'll take a point up there every day of the week.

As for after the game outside I was surprised at the lack of coppers, a real flash point between the 2 sets of fans that could of gotten worse. Saw 2 old boys take a dig, an older woman that had been shoved down, a younger (teenage) girl liked as though shed been caught by something, had to stop someone from lamping my mate from behind and a few other scuffles down the road. Obviously not guna tar all city fans for some bellends behaviour, the majority of city fans that where acting up got what they deserved. Just a shit show from the coppers.

A VAR decision can't 'go against' a team, not the one on Saturday in any case - it either hits the attackers arm or it doesn't....they've actually removed the ambiguity / unfairness.
I get that, and yes it gets all decisions right. But one thing it can’t do is control human emotions.

If used correctly City would of had a pen, they didn’t, therefore the fans blame VAR and not the ref who got that 100% wrong, then he does use it and the last minute goal is “correctly” overturned....it’s a absolute mess.

All we have managed to do so far with this thing is go from refs making a call on was it or wasn’t it, to asking if the ref should he have used it or should he not have used it, but just added delays and confusion into the game.....

Point is we are still questioning refs but just asking a different question.

Anyone got access to the video of the "noted Tottenham hard man" having a go at a bunch of City fans that is said to be making the rounds on the web? (source= reddit)

I get that, and yes it gets all decisions right. But one thing it can’t do is control human emotions.

If used correctly City would of had a pen, they didn’t, therefore the fans blame VAR and not the ref who got that 100% wrong, then he does use it and the last minute goal is “correctly” overturned....it’s a absolute mess.

All we have managed to do so far with this thing is go from refs making a call on was it or wasn’t it, to asking if the ref should he have used it or should he not have used it, but just added delays and confusion into the game.....

The Lamela / Rodri incident? - very debatable, VAR isn't designed to completely irradiate borderline calls on fouls.

It can though, with the revised handball laws, say that the City goal 100% should be ruled out. Same with offsides. And they had already sorted goal line decisions to being 100% correct every time.

And the refs don't decide when it is or isn't used, every goal and major incident is automatically reviewed - it has nothing to do with refs discretion in the PL games.

Seems to me that the only people complaining are fans, where a rule change has cost them before its rewarded them, and pundits because they can't be arsed to learn the new laws.

Can't agree with that analysis. Look at the first 25 seconds of these highlights. Rodri clearly creates the 'foul', it goes to VAR and they correctly judge that the referee has not made a 'clear & obvious error'. At the very least it's open to opinion, so the referee's decision stands, in my opinion correctly.

City fans have well and truly overtaken Utd in the privileged, self important, sore loser stakes.

I presume its down to a massive influx of JCL's jumping on the hype train. But i see plenty of old school blue mooners justifying their position because they "did their time in the trenches".

According to their manager they "dignify the sport" and are "an honest team for the people"

Well i guess that blood money earned gold plated Bugatti owning human rights abusers are still "people" too.

But the "honest" part is a bit of a stretch.

So instead of 2 bad decisions from the ref, there was only 1 bad one because VAR helped. Halving referee mistakes is an absolute win. And thats based on if the first decision was a mistake.

The Lamela / Rodri incident? - very debatable, VAR isn't designed to completely irradiate borderline calls on fouls.

It can though, with the revised handball laws, say that the City goal 100% should be ruled out. Same with offsides. And they had already sorted goal line decisions to being 100% correct every time.

And the refs don't decide when it is or isn't used, every goal and major incident is automatically reviewed - it has nothing to do with refs discretion in the PL games.

Seems to me that the only people complaining are fans, where a rule change has cost them before its rewarded them, and pundits because they can't be arsed to learn the new laws.

In this context, it seems to me all VAR is really doing is highlighting things about the LAWS of the game that people don't like. Say what you want about TalkSport, but over the last 6 months they have provided untold airtime to actual ref's opinions and analysis of VAR and the rules of the game; the equivalent of such insight is nowhere to be found on Sky, BT MOTD etc. or tabloid media, which is where pundit opinion is afforded the greatest volume.

I've yet to hear a single ref condemn how VAR or the laws of the game were implemented against City.

When you've got players like Gundogan coming out whinging even though EVERYONE (players, managers alike) was schooled in it all by league officials over the summer, then they're just showing thorough ignorance.

I'm not a massive advocate of VAR but this trend for the "oooh, it's gonna stop fans celebrating goals" line is really starting to grind too... As if goals were never chalked off before leading to 'false' fan celebrations... Linesmen and goal line officials all had power of intervention in the past.

VAR didn't invent 'that sinking feeling'.

Last edited:

Way too many pundits jumping on that incident as a penalty. Rodri isn't dragged down, he collapsed to the ground intentionally. Glad it wasn't given as that kind of behaviour shouldn't be rewarded.

am i the only person that thinks it was a penalty? Watch lamela put his arm round rodris neck as soon as he makes his run. fairly obvious foul imo.

am i the only person that thinks it was a penalty? Watch lamela put his arm round rodris neck as soon as he makes his run. fairly obvious foul imo.

Risky on Erik's part, but IMO Rodri went looking for it and initiates first contact between the two; making it contentious enough for it to be deemed not "clear and obvious" enough for VAR to intervene.... On a moral level at least, absolutely the right outcome too.

Risky on Erik's part, but IMO Rodri went looking for it and initiates first contact between the two; making it contentious enough for it to be deemed not "clear and obvious" enough for VAR to intervene.... On a moral level at least, absolutely the right outcome too.
Agreed he went looking for it,but if we were on the receiving end of that we would be screaming blue murder.Well i would anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom