Man City at Wembley - 14Apr - 19:45KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was on,y 2-3 seasons ago that he was seen as one of the hottest young talents in the game. Neymar was desperate for him to stay at PSG because he’s well aware of his talents. He’s nothing like any of those players you mentioned. He’s not a prospect, he’s an established player that got frozen out after PSG’s spending spree.
I hear that. But based on what I see on the pitch, I don't see someone who is going to be part of our long-term plans. It also does not bode well that Poch only puts him on when the game is over or in a game he considers less important. I'm not generally a negative fan, you can look through my posts, just being honest. I'm not saying I'm an expert; I called it wrong on Harry Kane in his early days and so did many others. Let's see.

Fair play to you. Like I say I hope I'm wrong and I could well be. But people said the same things about N'Jie and N'Koudou and if I am brutally honest my guess is that we've got another Jose Dominguez-esque player on our hands.

Completely disagree here, got to be honest - I saw Lucas Moura driving at their defence, weaving in and out of players, more times in 10 minutes last night than N'jie and N'Koudou combined Spurs appearances...

I hear that. But based on what I see on the pitch, I don't see someone who is going to be part of our long-term plans. It also does not bode well that Poch only puts him on when the game is over or in a game he considers less important. I'm not generally a negative fan, you can look through my posts, just being honest. I'm not saying I'm an expert; I called it wrong on Harry Kane in his early days and so did many others. Let's see.

Well fair enough. Nothing wrong with judging with your own eyes.

He was really signed for next season. He hardly got any minutes at PSG this season, so I think Pochettino is easing him in gently.

I believe you’ll be pleasantly surprised by him next season. He’s a very direct and creative player.

We are not better than City.
Not this season.
Also have to face the fact that our front players, or midfield, are not as quick as Liverpool’s at pressing on a bigger surface.
That’s how they beat them. Closing them down from the front, not allowing them time on the ball and hitting them as fast as possible. Also have the advantage of having 3 pretty quick players to hit the ball over the top to. Salah if possible.
We did none of that. We are a different team.
We allowed them to play and lost it in the first half hour.
Not for the first time we started this fixture slow and sloppy That’s not the manager telling them to do so, that’s the players
There needs to be someone on the pitch who sets the tempo from the off.

We were just not as good as them.
Having said that we didn’t give ourselves much of a chance.
We certainly worried them enough to go 5 at the back, but we didn’t do enough, or for long enough.

We were crap, but I don't think this can be easily dismissed as a bad day at the office. We've been reliable flat track bullies under Poch but something is missing against the top teams - look at our record against good opposition over the last few years in all comps. I'd like to see Poch take more initiative when responding to the tactical shifts of the likes of Guardiola, Allegri...
Sorry mate, that's absolute crap.
Highest points per game in top-six matches:
Man City - 2.4
Man United - 1.78
Tottenham - 1.30
Liverpool - 1.11

Most goals per game in top-six matches:
Man City - 2.70
Liverpool - 1.77
Tottenham - 1.50
Man United - 1.33

What this shows is City are miles ahead, that's all. City are about to smash the goals scored record and most points ever won, so please acknowledge that we were not only beaten by a better team but beaten by a team that is about to become the best the PL has ever seen.

We are right in the thick of it with Utd and Liverpool and our head to head with Liverpool is better having spanked them 4-1 and drew at their place. With Utd the points are shared but we totally outplayed them at Wembley, something they didn't do when we went to theirs. We've finished above Utd the past two season and we've finished above Liverpool 7 out of the past 8 seasons.

**Not a trace of Woolwich and Chelsea in that list as they are miles & miles behind it's not even worth working out their score.

Bazali Bazali

You know when you disagree with my posts and call me clueless, how does it make you feel when your view is vastly outnumbered by people agreeing with me?

Are they also all clueless cunts?

Or is it that your opinions are not as popular as you would like to believe.

The problem last night was not that we lack good enough players, it was that we set up wrong. We set up how I expected which is to play the same against all opposition essentially, try to be the better footballers.

But we knew Pep would try to exploit our high line and has the tools to do it. Yet we did nothing to stop it in our set up.

And going forward I feel Poch was in two minds about the approach. He went with trying to dominate midfield and press with Lamela (he's the only one who presses properly, two seasons ago everyone did, not sure why we didn't commit to the idea properly) - but instead he should have done what we saw worked for Liverpool, pace, running at them, quick passing, movement. We saw he had this idea by his subs of Son, Moura, Sissoko, but by then it was too late. Even though the subs came earlier than usual, which very much signals he knew he'd got it wrong.

Poch does learn, but it's frustrating sometimes because he seems to take his time.

Back from the game. A few thoughts.

Lloris - not really on it this season but I think Trippier's very bad back pass sold him short for the 'pen' (it wasn't in the box, not even close really, obvious at the other end of the stadium). I'd stick with him for now and keep Vorm for all cup games.

Trippier was awful for the first 40 mins, then got better. Davies was just about OK. I think we should look to improve in full back positions in the off season. Super Jan - GOAT: my player of the season. Sanchez was quite good, one mistake early on.

Dier was very poor, offered no protection for our defence. I think he's been indifferent this season tbh. Dembele OK, not one of his best but not awful. Overall, I think we lost this game at DM. We need to think creatively about how to shore up the midfield. We let City attack us constantly for the first 40 mins and didn't get close to them. We should have played a deeper formation and hit them on the counter like Madred away. Hazza sums it up well - punished in exactly the same away for exactly the same mistakes as the 4-1 earlier in the season. Love Poch but he didn't learn from that one.

Not sure it was the wrong decision to start Lamela tbh. A few bad passes but actually bothered to press in the first half, unlike some. Eriksen was very good - again. Dele was a bit anonymous early on, then grew into the game.

As for Kane - he's been great for us, but he hasn't been on it for a couple of months in all honesty. He'll be back. We looked excellent in the 2nd half against Chelsea with Dele as a false nine and Eriksen and Lamela running onto his passes. Just a thought.

Oh yeah final thing - Jon Moss is a fat useless cunt.

Poch was mostly to blame for this IMHO, the team was not set up properly. A stupid, disjointed performance - all of our good stuff came from individual stuff, we put together few good team moves. Shot ourselves in the foot with this one.
Agree with most of this but I thought Dier was excellent. City were excellent using their width basically bypassing the DM slot. The only area where Dier could have been wiser was once they had gotten behind us and we had been turned and running out our own goal, City are great and cutting the ball back to a player arriving into the box late, Dier didn't pick up "that" late runner.

...and we lost matches to all of them too, apart from Liverpool who are in the CL semis. Not at all controversial to suggest that the next step in our evolution as a team is to tighten up a bit against other big teams. We are beating everyone else.

We make similar mistakes in a few big games this season. Poch is doing a great job and could do better in a few ways - he's a great manager and will I'm sure rectify it.

But you suggested it was more than just a bad day at the office because we do badly against all the top sides, which is not true.
It was just a bad day at the office, we haven’t lost in the league since we played them last.
It happens to every side.
Man City had a bad day at the office in the first leg against Liverpool, Barcelona had a bad day at the office in the 2nd leg against Roma.
It was our turn yesterday.
prior to yesterday our league form read something like played 14, won 11 drawn 3.
In that period we played, Man Utd, Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool so our record against the top sides is not as bad as you or the media suggest.

The poster said he would rather watch lads try their best and lose than have superstars and win. By definition those lads are second rate; or second best. Whatever the terminology, It's not harsh, its reality.

John serious question but where are you when players like Dele and Kane are underperforming? Where is your critique when Poch fucks up?

You want your cake and eat it.....you want to slate a select group of individuals for our problems, but others get off scott free. I saw you name dropped Toby as part of the reason we lost yesterday......but again, didnt mention Poch.

Poch dropped him, so why is the manager immune from a slating by you?

Your views are grounded in a love for Spurs, I have no doubt about that, but in my honest opinion, they fall flat because your blame is so consistent. Might sound odd, but blame cant be consistent.

Some problems are Levy's fault, some Pochs, some Kane's, some Dele's, some Trippiers etc etc etc.....but when you hand pick your scapegoats, regardless of what went wrong, your views lack credibility.

I hate how toxic fans can be when Spurs lose a game - not pointing at anyone on here but some of the reactions on Twitter, posts to our own players etc are just borderline ridiculous.

I'd understand the anger if we lost at home to Stoke or West Brom and played as poor as we did yesterday or even against United in the Semi Final next week, but to lose to the best team in the country in Man City in which was our first loss since we last played them about 5 or so months ago is nothing to be ashamed about.

We go again.

We'll go and smash Brighton and fans will be out sucking off the players again.

Sanchez is a total mess and i can't see him becoming a top defender. He's tough he has a big body, but that's it and it's not enough to be a great defender, he's not smart and he can't guard good players.

If you were a top level professional football coach I might listen to this analysis but even at that level different people will have different opinions on players. To call him a total mess?? Really?

But I think it’s more likely you are like the people I used to sit near at WHL who did their best to tell Gareth Bale every game how shit he was and he would never make it as a footballer.

In other words totally fucking clueless.

The guys 21 and learning his trade at the very top level. He will make mistakes. Our French international goalkeeper makes mistakes.

Players are people not robots. Mistakes happen and invariably at the top level lead to goals.

And from an attacking point of view players like Jesus get through 1v1 and hit the ball 10 yards wide. Total mess of a player.

I hate how toxic fans can be when Spurs lose a game - not pointing at anyone on here but some of the reactions on Twitter, posts to our own players etc are just borderline ridiculous.

I'd understand the anger if we lost at home to Stoke or West Brom and played as poor as we did yesterday or even against United in the Semi Final next week, but to lose to the best team in the country in Man City in which was our first loss since we last played them about 5 or so months ago is nothing to be ashamed about.

We go again.

Twitter is a stain on society, not just football.

I remember seeing in the news when Amy Winehouse died, that Ozzy Osbournes daughter tweeted "oh my lord, Im so in shock I cant breath"

You can type though love. Thats twitter, fuck them and their views, just saying stuff to be "seen".

We go again.

Probably need to cleanse who you follow mate. I'm a heavy Twitter user and thankfully I miss 95% of any melting, more of it goes on here than Twitter for me. It took me a year, maybe longer to workout who to follow and more importantly who not to follow. I don't mind following someone with a different opinion to mine, in fact that's more than OK, but it's the absolute arseholes (many on here) who melt with no reason to, who have zero context or perspective to what they say. It's absolutely fine to be disappointed, it's absolutely fine to even be annoyed about something but most of what I witness are people into conspiracy theorists, who either make stuff up and believe what other have made up. People who said the stadium would never get built is the absolute classic, on what basis was this ever seen to have a shred of evidence supporting it? Answer none. There is also a common theme, those that held that belief are also the same people who the belief that Levy is killing the club. When you hold a preconceived agenda then they look to every thing to invent to support it. What a waste of space.

Anyway, best advice I can give is to spend time hitting the unfollow button, I've turned a timeline of misery into something that's diverse and thoughtful across all opinions. Only downside is it's become quite addictive and I spend far to much time that I should on it.

Probably need to cleanse who you follow mate. I'm a heavy Twitter user and thankfully I miss 95% of any melting, more of it goes on here than Twitter for me. It took me a year, maybe longer to workout who to follow and more importantly who not to follow. I don't mind following someone with a different opinion to mine, in fact that's more than OK, but it's the absolute arseholes (many on here) who melt with no reason to, who have zero context or perspective to what they say. It's absolutely fine to be disappointed, it's absolutely fine to even be annoyed about something but most of what I witness are people into conspiracy theorists, who either make stuff up and believe what other have made up. People who said the stadium would never get built is the absolute classic, on what basis was this ever seen to have a shred of evidence supporting it? Answer none. There is also a common theme, those that held that belief are also the same people who the belief that Levy is killing the club. When you hold a preconceived agenda then they look to every thing to invent to support it. What a waste of space.

Anyway, best advice I can give is to spend time hitting the unfollow button, I've turned a timeline of misery into something that's diverse and thoughtful across all opinions. Only downside is it's become quite addictive and I spend far to much time that I should on it.

To be fair, it probably doesn't help that I go searching for it.

A lot of the time the genuine followers that I follow are re-tweeting it and criticising them within the re-tweet. But occasionally, I will hit the #COYS or #THFC tag to see what people thought and some of the abuse that the likes of Sanchez, Lamela, Lloris and even Dier got was just comical. I can understand people being annoyed by Lloris' continuous mistakes, Lamela over Son, Sanchez's off game etc. but some of the comments were borderline disrespectful. I believe I saw one say 'Lloris should just retire and fuck off out of my club the frog eating nonce'

Shame on every single match goer who left Wembley last night with 10 mins to go plus 4mins extra time.
You are not football fans, You are not THFC supporters, You are i***ts.
The worst scenario is 30 mins or 1 hour less sleep which will not kill you.
It is f-ing Saturday night. The maximum wait for a train is 30 mins.
The stadium was nearly empty with 5 mins to go, WHY?!

Back
Top Bottom