Man City at Wembley - 14Apr - 19:45KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On a slightly deeper level, I had to agree that City played some great football yesterday and of course their fans enjoyed it - why wouldn't they. We were also made to watch again the limitations of some of our players. BUT

It comes back to this - if you had the choice would you rather we were a City - funded by a billionaire and buying 3 new superstars each year who stay with the club for 2 years then piss off to PSG after they'd won the league or, would you rather a team that was top 4 and brought on the youngsters.

I know we're going to be biased but I can't help but conclude, personally, that I'm happier supporting Spurs than I would be City. I think I would be one of those City supporters that now says "supported them for 30 years but I don't go any more, the titles mean nothing". I think.....!

And that seems to me to be a pretty fundamental difference of support. I don't scream and slag off our lads because they're our lads, and most of them have shown loyalty to my club. So I wouldn't replace our full backs with better versions now even if you offered me a superstar. I'd rather watch our lads do their best and lose occasionally than I would watch a superstar pull a Spurs shirt on and win every week. And there are supporters sat all around me at Wembley who clearly feel otherwise - they just want us to win, end of.

Sorry to state the obvious, and I'm sure it's been debated elsewhere - it's just watching City that brought it to the surface. In short - I'd rather admire them as someone else's football team, than have them as my own.
We outplay teams as City did to us and it feels good-we will do it our way. We can hold our heads high and be proud. We mustn't loose who we are as a club which we would if we became a City or a Chelsea monster.

to make that extra-step and win something, it's necessary to build a solid defense but first of all a solid defensive phase. We are never coordinate in the movements back there, too many spaces in between, those little things that will never let us close the gap with teams above us and win something big.

Completely agree with this point.

Sanchez is a total mess and i can't see him becoming a top defender. He's tough he has a big body, but that's it and it's not enough to be a great defender, he's not smart and he can't guard good players.

Don't agree with this. He's young with loads of potential and has been good more often than not this season. He is learning and 100% worth persevering with IMHO.

Haven't read all the comments yet so sorry if my post is repetitive.

We were totally outplayed in first 35mins, should have been at least 3-0 down. Whilst both our fullbacks played with a great attitude their quality was simply woeful. I have heard a lot of people bitching about Llrois but it's Tripps that fucking gives the ball away that was the main culprit, he did that time after time after time. Davies who has had a brilliant season was also poor yesterday. I thought Kane was a ghost, great pass to slip Eriksen in aside he did absolutely nothing, the supply to him wasn't great, but he was so, so static barely ran at all, didn't press, very poor game from him. Sanchez was a strange one for me, he was dawn out of position many times which wasn't great but he put in so many last ditched recovery tackles which were great. Ultimately without the mistake of being drawn out of position then you don't need to make last ditch tackles.

Lamela wasn't working for me in the first half and I was thinking we perhaps should bring on Son for the 2nd half but he was excellent when pushed him up the pitch to get closer to Kane, so far play to Poch for making the positional change, appart from Son's first involvement against Kompany (getting him booked) Son's really didn't do anything and we regressed, so would have preferred Lamela to have stayed on, hindsight is great ain't it.

Anyway, Vertonghen was by far our best player, in fact that was his greatest ever performance in a Spurs shirt and one of the best CB performances I have ever witnessed from any CB in my lifetime, just a shame it came in such a comprehensive loss. I thought Dier was also superb in midfield.

Last 10 mins of first half we significantly improved and I thought we were good in the 2nd half, that said we created the square route of fuck all. If we have a long range shot it was weak and off target, if they had a long range shot it was hit so well it put Lloris under a lot of pressure just to parry it away, big difference between these two.

Only team to out play us this season has been City, twice. I can be completely philosophical about this as our joint PL record unbeaten run comes to an end.
Jan Vertonghen...what a player. It's between him and Eriksen for my player of the year vote this season. Although at times thought there was too much space between Jan and Sanchez last night.

I think ultimately we lost because some of our players don't match up to the standards of some of City's players. All our players who started are very good, but I think there are a few that don't get in that City team, not a surprise with the amount of money they've spent. I have no doubt if we spent anywhere near that level we would surpass them with Poch in charge.

Tactically yes there were a few things we did wrong but it's always going to be hard coming up against a team playing at the level they were last night and in the 4-1 defeat. I think they made us look bad more so than we actually played badly. Easily the best team we have faced in recent seasons.

Don't agree with this. He's young with loads of potential and has been good more often than not this season. He is learning and 100% worth persevering with IMHO.

i hope so! it's just a feeling i have about him, sometimes we take for granted that a player is going to improve. But as i said before, the most important thing is to work on the defensive phase, i think we are really misorganized back there and that doesn't help the single player

Yeah semi has gone to members. Not sure how many LPs exactly needed.

Anyone who has been a member for quite a while should be able to get a ticket though.
(Especially as a lot of people who were members got STs this year so that would have affected the loyalty points requirements).

If the new stadium lives up to its billing about keeping noise in and the south stand does what it says on the tin it should be fine.
Think north will make some noise too. Seen quite a few people on forums and social media saying they are going there.
Good about the North- that's where I will be.

I can see some arguments happening in the upper echelons of the South between people who want to stand and people who are there to be part of the atmosphere without making it. The part nearest the pitch should be great though. At any rate whatever it's like it will seem good because we will be comparing it to Wembley not WHL!

i hope so! it's just a feeling i have about him, sometimes we take for granted that a player is going to improve. But as i said before, the most important thing is to work on the defensive phase, i think we are really misorganized back there and that doesn't help the single player

I completely agree with what you say about a player to shield the back four. I don't think that player is Dier I'm afraid. I think Wanyama should have another shot.

So I wouldn't replace our full backs with better versions now even if you offered me a superstar. I'd rather watch our lads do their best and lose occasionally than I would watch a superstar pull a Spurs shirt on and win every week.
Wow!
Genuine question. Are you happy to continue playing Elite Club ticket prices, soon to be the worlds highest, while watching these cheaper, second rate players that ensure we lose occassionally?

Indeed. Not a 'melt' or a beef - genuinely interested in how we get a bit better. I still think we're slightly short - don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the ride.
Its hard to see when every season at least one team will buy a few establish quality players and are on par with us without playing that well (Utd come to mind).

As someone above pointed out, some of the mistakes made in the 3-1 yesterday were almost exactly the same as in our 4-1 reverse to the same team earlier in the season. That's why I don't see this as just a 'bad day at the office' as it's not a one-off issue - if you're making the same errors (that also happened against Juve) then that points to structural problems that needs addressing. I'm confident we'll do that.

Btw if there's 200 million to spend in the summer as rumoured I would spend that on two new full backs and maybe a deep-lying midfielder. Would like to see Wanyama given more of a chance - maybe he can be that player?

For me its sanchez. The Juve goals, yesterday... Against the big teams he is always the one that plays them onside. A promising young talent yet but for not in toby's class. We never conceded goals like that last season. Mistake not starting son too.

now calmed down a bit, we had moments but mostly we were played at our own game and poor defensive mistakes cost us, sanchez and vertonghen seemed proper out of touch with each other yesterday

Sanchez is a total mess and i can't see him becoming a top defender. He's tough he has a big body, but that's it and it's not enough to be a great defender, he's not smart and he can't guard good players.
Couldn't disagree with this more. You just write him off after one shaky display? Glad you're not a youth coach! He's been fantastic this season and really immense in some games. Name me another CB you can think of who is rock solid in their early 20s. Every young defender is going to make mistakes because it's a position you mature into. Cut the boy some slack, and any idiot scapegoating him for yesterday can fuck right off.

Wow!
Genuine question. Are you happy to continue playing Elite Club ticket prices, soon to be the worlds highest, while watching these cheaper, second rate players that ensure we lose occassionally?

Thats a bit harsh?
These second rate players are getting a top 4 place every season for us to enjoy CL football.
THFC are a big club and whether second rate players or not we mustn't ever forget that. We are holding our own against the big spenders and will get better. Football is about competing - buying the best as City have done, that goes out the window and its all about money. Poch could achieve what Pep has at City but pep could not achieve what Poch has done with us-its that simple. Id rather be a Poch fan than Pep?

Not a great night, we were over run in the first half, but getting in 1-2 at half time, I thought we would push on in the second half but we never tested their keeper, despite a lot of possession.

City are a good side but given the money they have spent, it's no surprise. It was also interesting watching pochs behaviour on the touchline compared to the histrionics of the city manager, poch has so much class and conducts himself so professionally.

On the plus side, Jan vertonghen was immense last night, Sanchez was not at his best, but is young and will improve. Hope Toby enjoyed picking up his wages this week while his team mates played.

And moura needs more game time, extra minutes this season and with a pre season with poch and his coaches and we have a great addition to the squad
Sorry to say I disagree on Moura. I don't get the enthusiasm, don't see much there in terms of a player who can help us much. Really hope I'm wrong!

honestly, when he's been on he's looked a bright spark, its hard to do anything when you get next to no game time, poch needs to give him a start before i really judge him as a player
Fair play to you. Like I say I hope I'm wrong and I could well be. But people said the same things about N'Jie and N'Koudou and if I am brutally honest my guess is that we've got another Jose Dominguez-esque player on our hands.

Wow!

Exactly, JT.
They're not 'second rate' of course, they're all International quality, but I appreciate you're exaggerating to make a point.
You want the club to buy success, win every game and be like Man City or Chelsea. (You seem to think you're entitled to expect this because the ticket prices are high, but that's another issue).
I want the club to stay like Spurs, 'my' Spurs, the Spurs I've supported for 50 years, and will continue to support even if they "lose occasionally" (or even frequently).
Only one of us can be right.

Fair play to you. Like I say I hope I'm wrong and I could well be. But people said the same things about N'Jie and N'Koudou and if I am brutally honest my guess is that we've got another Jose Dominguez-esque player on our hands.

It was on,y 2-3 seasons ago that he was seen as one of the hottest young talents in the game. Neymar was desperate for him to stay at PSG because he’s well aware of his talents. He’s nothing like any of those players you mentioned. He’s not a prospect, he’s an established player that got frozen out after PSG’s spending spree.

For what it's worth here's my two pennies;

The high line; difficult to employ effectively when the opposition have such pace and the skill to play around the 'press'. Sanchez seemed culpable for allowing Jesus to get behind him but I think he had a particularly difficult role. Should we have sat deeper and played more on the break like against Dortmund?

Quality out wide; I like Davis and Trippier but they looked out of their depth against Sane and Sterling (if he could finish properly he'd be awesome). I don't know if Aurier would have been better.

Movement; when we had possession and City were pressing there was a lack of movement from players looking to receive the ball whereas City were constantly changing their shape according to what was happening. Sometimes it looked like they had 13 players on the pitch.

More time for Moura; surely Poch needs to give Lucas more match time. He offered something different when he came on and stung the palms of Emerson with decent effort.

People leaving directly after their third goal! Aaaarrgghh!

The fucking Poznan!! Aaaarrrghhh!

Sheikh Mansour and his family of torturers! Aaarrghhh!

The schlepp home from Wembley! Aaaarrgh!!!

Losing! Aarrrgghhh!

Well those last few lines are the most articulate I've been on this forum!

Thats a bit harsh?
These second rate players are getting a top 4 place every season for us to enjoy CL football.
THFC are a big club and whether second rate players or not we mustn't ever forget that. We are holding our own against the big spenders and will get better. Football is about competing - buying the best as City have done, that goes out the window and its all about money. Poch could achieve what Pep has at City but pep could not achieve what Poch has done with us-its that simple. Id rather be a Poch fan than Pep?
The poster said he would rather watch lads try their best and lose than have superstars and win. By definition those lads are second rate; or second best. Whatever the terminology, It's not harsh, its reality.

Back
Top Bottom