Man City (A) - The Adebayor Derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was just discussing this with people at uni, but realistically how many of those goals were down to 'shit tactics'

1) Okay it shouldn't go back to the 'keeper from KO, poor kick, Hugo recovered with a great save but the finish was a worldie. Question marks on Sandro for being robbed so easily.

2) Another Hugo kick straight to the other team. Walker probably stood off the LW a bit too much, cross came in and deflected, the shot was blocked by Kaboul/Sandro and could've gone anywhere. Just bad luck, another day it's out for a corner and we carry on.

3) Vertonghen doesn't put on enough pressure, Lamela can't get a foot in to prevent the cross. Kaboul completely loses his man, gets nowhere near the ball leaving their striker in acres of space to tap it in.

4) Possibly the high-line exposed, but more Dawson getting drawn into a tackle that he doesn't connet with. Leaves Toure (?) hammering at goal, Walker can't get near him, it's squared and a simple tap in.

5) An insane piece of skill from Negredo to get past Dawson (admittedly he's ballwatching) and a great finish.

6) Ball next to their penalty area, inch perfect 80-yard pass. Interception completely missed by Vertonghen and simple 1-on-1 finish.

There's nothing there to suggest that the system didn't work. Every single goal was down to individual/team errors, and nearly all from the players in defence. We got lucky with a couple of others, don't get me wrong, but how is Hugo meant to save any of those, and how can the rest of the team prevent them?

This is a serious question and it's bugging me, because we got absolutely raped and I just cannot see how it could have been changed.

Was just discussing this with people at uni, but realistically how many of those goals were down to 'shit tactics'

1) Okay it shouldn't go back to the 'keeper from KO, poor kick, Hugo recovered with a great save but the finish was a worldie. Question marks on Sandro for being robbed so easily.

2) Another Hugo kick straight to the other team. Walker probably stood off the LW a bit too much, cross came in and deflected, the shot was blocked by Kaboul/Sandro and could've gone anywhere. Just bad luck, another day it's out for a corner and we carry on.

3) Vertonghen doesn't put on enough pressure, Lamela can't get a foot in to prevent the cross. Kaboul completely loses his man, gets nowhere near the ball leaving their striker in acres of space to tap it in.

4) Possibly the high-line exposed, but more Dawson getting drawn into a tackle that he doesn't connet with. Leaves Toure (?) hammering at goal, Walker can't get near him, it's squared and a simple tap in.

5) An insane piece of skill from Negredo to get past Dawson (admittedly he's ballwatching) and a great finish.

6) Ball next to their penalty area, inch perfect 80-yard pass. Interception completely missed by Vertonghen and simple 1-on-1 finish.

There's nothing there to suggest that the system didn't work. Every single goal was down to individual/team errors, and nearly all from the players in defence. We got lucky with a couple of others, don't get me wrong, but how is Hugo meant to save any of those, and how can the rest of the team prevent them?

This is a serious question and it's bugging me, because we got absolutely raped and I just cannot see how it could have been changed.
A simple rule of thumb is to not let them have the ball and when they do don't let them do anything with it. If you do and they score 6 goals when we have a hundred million pounds of footballing talent that can't stop them - there is probably something wrong with the system we are playing.
In simplistic terms.

Or we can chalk it off to 6 individual acts of god, whichever way you prefer.
:eek:)

A simple rule of thumb is to not let them have the ball and when they do don't let them do anything with it. If you do and they score 6 goals when we have a hundred million pounds of footballing talent that can't stop them - there is probably something wrong with the system we are playing.
In simplistic terms.

Whhyyyyyyyyyy does God hates us. Whyyyyy.

Or the high line. I'm not sure.

Nothing???? Not even the high line? Is that not part of the system?
Watch the goals back, and tell me where the high-line fucked us up in that game? Goal #4 is the only one, admittedly it has bitten us in the past, but that wasn't the problem yesterday.

In simplistic terms.

We dominated possession so we didn't really even "let them have the ball" - we stood off too much admittedly but is that something that AVB told them to do or is that down to individuals making poor decisions?

I'm not trying to say we played well, far from it, we were shit. I was trying to constructively find what went wrong, and there's nothing glaringly obvious except 5/6 players having their worst ever Spurs performances in the same game.

@h nah somebodys helping him is playing sundays affecting his gates lucky were only losing it could be a plague of locust always look on the bright side of life

I'm not trying to say we played well, far from it, we were shit. I was trying to constructively find what went wrong, and there's nothing glaringly obvious except 5/6 players having their worst ever Spurs performances in the same game.
as has been said many times, dominating possession isn't always a key indicator, particularly if its used as a tactic to stretch your team out.
Has it occurred to you to wonder why so many players would simultaneously play poorly?
What demotivated all those players to have a poor game at a key point in the season?
Or if not de-motivated - failed to motivate?
Are they disillusioned with what they are being asked to do, or confused by what is being asked of them?
Surely it wasn't that they were just surprised at what City are capable of........

Fuck know's who was in the Upper Tier yesterday, but they weren't Spurs fans.

Surrounded by absolute shithouses who fucked off after 45 minutes.

Stay and support your team.

We used to have some of the best support in the land. Now Woolwich travel better than we do.

I don't think so. The high line has been proven to work with teams in the past. But I do agree that the formation does not suit our players and therefore does not get the best out of them. Soldado, for instance, is a player who plays mostly in the box and relies on service. Where really if you are playing the high line and condensing the midfield as a result you really want a front man who can drop back and integrate with the players behind him and feed off of them, while equally having attacking players in your midfield who can link up with him and create goals themselves. I don't think either is happened at the moment. These players didn't become shit overnight. If the formation is not best suiting them then AVB needs to be able to adapt the side to account for what works. At the moment I feel his academic approach and lack of experience has taught him that the high line is the be all and end all of the modern game and he's afraid to mix it up and take risks. With one or two of the players I think he's trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Sometimes a manager has to change formation and experiement if his side is to learn how to be tactically adaptable. Like you say, teams have worked us out very quickly and that's got to be down to AVB and his formation rigidity. We are a one trick pony team. We aren't offering any surprises when we get underway. But this is the Premier League and in the Premier League only playing one way isn't good enough, despite however many players of quality you have.

What are those square pegs in round holes? I am assuming Soldado, he more fits a 4-4-2, or a 4-5-1 with a false 9, but other than him, where do you feel we are lacking?

Said it elsewhere but it bears repeating. Every player at every stage is looking to play the ball backwards or sideways and that's shown by their consistently receiving the ball with their backs to goal. When we look forwards and the players actually make space for each other, there's a lot more attacking intent and verve and drive. But at present that is sorely lacking. That and, crucially, movement. Players ahead just don't move around to make space - it's almost like staying static is part of AVB's game plan as well.

I want to believe. Between now and January is the time to show us how it is.

Did you watch Sky's analysis of the game just now? It was interesting to see how none of our back line were prepared for the kick-off and Kaboul was caught unawares by the ball coming to him, which resulted in the rushed back-pass to Lloris and the bad clearance. And they talked about the positioning of the full-backs so far up the pitch leaving the CBs exposed, especially in a really difficult away game and on such a big pitch. They concluded that Soldado doesn't make enough runs and isn't suited to the lone CF role, and that we are too slow in moving the ball and don't have the right balance to the team.

Said it elsewhere but it bears repeating. Every player at every stage is looking to play the ball backwards or sideways and that's shown by their consistently receiving the ball with their backs to goal. When we look forwards and the players actually make space for each other, there's a lot more attacking intent and verve and drive. But at present that is sorely lacking. That and, crucially, movement. Players ahead just don't move around to make space - it's almost like staying static is part of AVB's game plan as well.

I want to believe. Between now and January is the time to show us how it is.

Thats why it was highlighted even more when Dembele came on he seemed to get some sort of control in the midfield and was made to look great compared to what was before him by doing some actual forward passes out wide and in middle

Back
Top Bottom