Man City (A) - The Adebayor Derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some bits some EPL index...

Spurs attacking transitions
Tottenham’s inefficiency from their historically trademark blistering quick attacking transitions was alarming throughout the game and the first half in particular. Wasteful would be an understatement, embodied by Erik Lamela, who lost possession of the ball a total of 18 times (more than any other player) the majority during his over ambitious dribble attempts in transition.No Spurs’ player looked to take the responsibility of driving the team forward, until the 61st minute introduction of Mousa Dembele who was bright in his attempts to drive transitions forward at pace, attempting 3 dribbles; completing 100% of them. It seems if Tottenham are to become more effective in regards to their attacking transitions the Belgian International is key as he possesses exceptional dribbling ability at speed.

Probe, probe and probe some more…
As harsh is this may sound. Paulinho and Holtby in particular did, well, nothing. Nothing at all. Lewis Holtby playing in the number 10 role touched the ball just 37 times, all in areas which didn’t affect play, created 0 chances from open play and often shied away from any physical contact or duel.

Holtby often vacated his position (shaded area) to play deep and as a result not only fizzled out of the game, but left Roberto Soldado hanging with no link from midfield to attack. As a result, Soldado touched the ball just 28 times (as many touches as goalkeeper Hugo Lloris) and managed 1 shot throughout the game (off target.)

Paulinho also failed to add any quality to the team’s probing play in another inefficient display. 67% of his passes were played sideways with as little risk as could possibly be applied, and with him constantly being found in advanced areas like in the image above, surely he must look to add some creativity into proceedings? The Brazilian International has looked a shell of his former self from the beginning of the season and looks to be suffering from fatigue and a loss of confidence. Consequently, Tottenham were toothless in the middle of the park and lacked any sort of guile in the middle of the pitch as Soldado stood a frustrated, £26 million bystander before he was substituted on the 61st minutes.

...Exactly what I been trying to say:
Stop playing Holtby as a #10, and that it should be Dembele over Paulo - who desperately needs a break.
AVB has a lot of work to do.

Some bits some EPL index...

Spurs attacking transitions

Probe, probe and probe some more…

...Exactly what I been trying to say:
Stop playing Holtby as a #10, and that it should be Dembele over Paulo - who desperately needs a break.
AVB has a lot of work to do.
u thinking a triangle of
dembele
holtby sandro
??
or u recon we should change the formation?

personally dont hink dembele scores enough or assists enough to be good there ether..

think we may have to go 4-4-1-1

with ade and soldado..

sandro and dembele in the middle, lamela on the right, townsend on the left..

Maybe at home we can even go 4-1-3-2 like city

Gary Mabbutt defends Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris

Last Updated: November 25, 2013 1:11pm

Former Tottenhan captain Gary Mabbutt is refusing to blame goalkeeper Hugo Lloris for the 6-0 thrashing by Manchester City.

Spurs went into Sunday's game at the Etihad Stadium with the best defensive record in the league, but two poor kicks from Lloris gifted City a 2-0 lead and started the rot that led to the thrashing.

Mabbutt told Sky Sports News: "Hugo in my opinion is one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League and has had a fantastic season so far.

"The two clearances were not what you would expect from him, normally his ball kicking is excellent.

"If you get a keeper that makes a couple of defensive mistakes you have still got other players to make up for that and cover for you.

"They were glaring bad clearances from him but there was more the team could have done.

"When you go to Man City, who are the team who have the best home form in the league, we have to keep things very tight for the first spell of the game.

"But that was broken very quick - within 14 seconds when a defensive mistake led to Navas' fantastic finish.

"After that it's how the players responded. I don't think we lay down and had our tummies tickled - the next half hour of the game Tottenham took control of it. We were the ones taking the game to Man City and put them on the back foot."

Mabbutt feels that Spurs' problems are not in defence but up front where Andre Vilas-Boas' team have only scored nine goals in 12 league games.

"Our problem is that we are not creating clear cut chances," he said.

"We have had more than 200 shots this season but more than 60% of those shots have come from outside the box.

"I still believe that this is a squad that is more than capable despite the drubbing we got yesterday of putting in a challenge for a top-four place.

"We have a vitally important game against Man Utd on Sunday so with only one point from our last three league games that United game is a game that is imperative we get a result."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...butt-defends-tottenham-goalkeeper-hugo-lloris

Imagine if this game (and Hugo's performance) had come directly after the Everton game, where if memory serves, AVB tried to kill him!
AVB would be in Jail by now!!

I kept myself away from the internet yesterday, I don`t want to be banned after 10 posts. At halftime I thought if AVB still wants to win this game we are f***** . So back in the pub first look on the tv i have to see Ade coming on for Holtby. And that was the end of my hopes faith believe whatever in our coach. At least he realised after another two goals that we might not be on the winning side that day. Maybe he just cares about the points and no matter if you lose 0-1 or 0-9
you get 0 points. But what about the players and supporters it makes a difference for them. He willl lose the team in just about a few days if we get hammered by Manu. What I really wanna say is I did not and do not want to see :adestare: in our shirt again ship him to China some clubs there pay good money for guys like him.

From where I was watching, Ade looked a whole lot better than most of the spurs player on the day. Lamela looked good too, but it was for me a small glimmer of hope when Ade came on, I believe if he gets the chance, he'll be instrumental in getting us back to winning ways (hopefully through some of his incredible wonder goals that we all know he's capable of.)

EDIT: his physical presence combined with his understanding and eye makes him 10x the player Defoe is in my opinion.

On the wings for start...

Inverted wingers? Or as on Sunday, typical wingers? 1 typical winger, 1 inverted? Classic wingers, Soldado should be racking up the goals with his poaching ability, inverted he should be making the channel runs, to pull defenders away opening the back line. I agree we should look at the wingers, but hard to have wingers work either way without attacking speed and more of the pitch.

i believe the signs of struggle were already there towards the end of last season, although just papered over by the numerous wonder goals scored by bale in the last minute, thus distorting the true reflection of the game.

it's easy to analyse things in hindsight

It was Dempsey's fault.

/thread

Here's a conspuracy theory for you to munch over...

we haven't quite been the same since Venables told Gazza to go fuck someone up in the 1991 Cup Final...
little did he know at the time that Gazza was too pig-shit-thick to not know he didn't mean HIMSELF!!
...and little did Gazza know that Venables had it planned all along, to potentially fuck up the club in benefiting from the multi-million pound transfer to Lazio... the fact we only got £8m was of constant torment to El Tel!! He coulda bought us for £50 that summer of '91....

Yeah... I went there! You can trace ALL our injury curses back to THAT moment!

He is at the moment mate.

No player or manager is ever "the club" in my opinion.

If I slate AVB, I dont need people telling me I should support the club and I enjoy losing.

Especially by some of the same people who spent the entire duration of our last managers reign, slating him....

Ive not once abused AVB....my position is about the football.

Same idiots slating Ade, Naughton, Defoe etc, but AVB is immune?

Fuck that, he is not this club, he's just the one turning us back to shit.

No player or manager is ever "the club" in my opinion.

If I slate AVB, I dont need people telling me I should support the club and I enjoy losing.

Especially by some of the same people who spent the entire duration of our last managers reign, slating him....

Ive not once abused AVB....my position is about the football.

Same idiots slating Ade, Naughton, Defoe etc, but AVB is immune?

Fuck that, he is not this club, he's just the one turning us back to shit.

He is part of this club though.

And while he is part of this club, I will continue to back him.

That's not to say he hasn't made mistakes. He has. I'm not over the moon at the way the season has gone, but I have a long enough memory to know it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Your prerogative on this board seems to be incessant negativity and it is fucking tiresome. We get it. You don't like Andre.

If he gets the bullet, so be it. But while he's here, he has my full support.

He is part of this club though.

And while he is part of this club, I will continue to back him.

That's not to say he hasn't made mistakes. He has. I'm not over the moon at the way the season has gone, but I have a long enough memory to know it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Your prerogative on this board seems to be incessant negativity and it is fucking tiresome. We get it. You don't like Andre.

If he gets the bullet, so be it. But while he's here, he has my full support.

Im tiring? Yet you quote me out of the blue and strike up a conversation?

You can back him, I dont care, but Im sick of people saying "he's the manager so I'll back him"

If you did the same under Gross, Graham, Hoddle, Ramos and Redknapp then fine.....if you lost faith in one or all of the above, then stop being so god damn fucking holy about other people losing faith in AVB.

You honestly think we will finish top 6 if he doesnt change something
I honestly think the only time we can objectively look back on this season and make conclusive statements about 'shitness' would be in May or at a point we are mathematically out of the Top 4 'running'

- Palace - we dominated / deserved to win, imv
- Swansea - decent performance
- Cardiff - dominated, deserved to win
- Chelsea - game of 2 halves - could have nicked in the end
- Newcastle - 31 record shots (in the history of hte fucking PL!) - dominated throughout, unlicky to lose
- Everton - decent tactial performance to prevent them from scoring - they're a good side and Top 4 contender
- Woolwich - unlucky not to score against a very strong team
- Hull - average
- Villa - dominated
- Norwich - dominated
- West Ham - shite
- City - shite

So, all in all - hasn't been all that 'shit' has it?

I honestly think the only time we can objectively look back on this season and make conclusive statements about 'shitness' would be in May or at a point we are mathematically out of the Top 4 'running'

- Palace - we dominated / deserved to win, imv
- Swansea - decent performance
- Cardiff - dominated, deserved to win
- Chelsea - game of 2 halves - could have nicked in the end
- Newcastle - 31 record shots (in the history of hte fucking PL!) - dominated throughout, unlicky to lose
- Everton - decent tactial performance to prevent them from scoring - they're a good side and Top 4 contender
- Woolwich - unlucky not to score against a very strong team
- Hull - average
- Villa - dominated
- Norwich - dominated
- West Ham - shite
- City - shite

So, all in all - hasn't been all that 'shit' has it?
you must have been watching different games to me fella

Back
Top Bottom