Liverpoo v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 31.03.19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well there’s a whole host of people arguing that January would have been a great time to improve the squad because we should have done it earlier.

Don’t know what else to decipher from the utter nonsense to be honest.
If we shouldn’t have moved in January, then I can only assume our targets could no kJ get so a job.....as they missed the MK Dons game in the Carabou Cup so had no warm up

Not sure what any of this means!

I should try hitting the keys in the right order!

Biggest concern for me alongside Hugo is Sanchez. He has been fucking useless all season long. Our record signing - was it really £42m - and he looks about as assured as Sebastian Bassong. He was at fault several times yesterday, namely when he decided to let a ball bounce over his head to create a 2v1 for Pool in the 2nd half.

I've given him time to settle in but I really fear he is destined for the scrapheap as if anything he's gotten worse since arriving. Much rather have Foyth given minutes at present, at least he is assured on the ball.
CB is the one position where you really can't write off a 22 year old. He's had some huge errors but he also goes games of being solid if not spectacular. Toby is gone in the summer and our CB depth at the moment is Jan, Sanchez, Foyth and in a pinch Dier and Davies in a back 3. He's not going anywhere.

Thanks to Sissoko brainlessness, now Van Dyke is being compared to Beckenbauer and Baresi.

Still can't believe how a professional footballer would fail to even hit the target from that position.
Lamela did it against City. Dele has done it on occasion, as has Eriksen. It happens, get over it. It's not the reason we lost.

Those 2 incidents could define the future of the club should we miss out on CL football next season.
The reductionist reaction and prognostication on here is making some of the Poch to United/Madrid brigade in the media blush. 7 games left, if we play like we did for most of the match against Liverpool, who are quite good (really!), then we should be fine.

Salads header was an easy save that Hugo should have made
On reviewing it Salad wasn’t offside as I originally thought but Hugo could also have came out and either caught it, punched it, punched Salad, anything really as the ball was just lofted in our area hopefully and was in the air a long time

It was the Dippers lucky day
End of
Agree on Lloris catching the cross - it was a fucking lollipop just outside the 6 yard box. Why is he not taking command and coming for that?

Oh Tottenham how have we got into a position where to get top 4 we probably have to beat Man City which could hand Liverpool the title, only we could end up with that Sophie’s choice

Incredible, the thought of that gurning prick lifting the premier league makes me sick
Lose to City and win the other 6. That's my solution, And also knock City out of the CL.
:adethumbup:

Does everyone remember when 1-2 years ago, when I was shouting for Hugo to be dropped from 1st team, and I was slated by almost everyone here. Oh how things change.
Some can't even remember saying we didn't need signings last summer, so you can forget (ironically) 2 years ago.

Do you believe that what is said on record is actually what happens behind closed doors? What's he going to say? "I gave Daniel a list of players, but that tight bald bastard haggled with every team over a couple of million here or there and we got no one"?
Or perhaps, it's a committee that all work together, decide targets, what the fee should be and so on.

The thing no one has ever explained...if levy is shafting him so much, why didn't he walk?

I get an "acquired taste" or an 'if you knew you'd know' kinda vibe here. I find his whole game slow and lacking in basic technical ability. Many of his best moments were due to him not being able to pull the basic move that was available earlier. that's speaking about his work WITH the ball. Yes, he does find space without it very well. But at this juncture that could be attributed to his 'talent' and me not seeing the move ahead. I guess time will tell on that. but I like my chances (not that I want him to fail, jsut a figure of speech) on this.

I don't think so. As you pointed out his goals came from being positioned high up. He lacks the game to get there when we aren't dominating and he can't create for himself because he can neither dribble nor shoot. So I don't foresee an uptick in this production unless he improves his game.

An analogy. Tiger Woods was the top golfer in the world in june 1997. What did he do later that year? He tore down his game and rebuilt the swing that had taken him to the top. What did we get later? Literally the best professional golf that has ever been played after the 18 months of him duffing it around.

Another - Steph Curry. Doubted his whole career because he was small and was wanted by none o the big schools even though he was lethal. He was not quick enough and too small for the #2 yet didn't have a handle good enough for PG. What did he do? Yup, improved him game, can now play D and now he has mad handle and passing with a couple rings and MVP trophy.

Footballers are stupid and they don't get better after they reach success and acclaim. Rare ones do. Our Harry seems to add to his game every year. Maybe it is a byproduct of the game in that you can hide a little bit more and have things papered over with goal stats but in golf and BB you will be found out quickly.

My point? Dele had quick success yet his game has not expanded nor improved whatsoever. Dier too. Tripps too. footballers don't seem to want to improve their skillset to make themselves more dangerous and well rounded players. And don't revise history here as Dele was dogshit last year. He was absolute turd.

This reminds me of the Hugo convo from jjust earlier and people taking time to acknowledge what is actually in front of them. When all you folks finally admit he is not remotely the WC player that folks made him out to be and are hating him and yelling obscenities in his general direction and calling for him to be sat down we will be right here where worsted worsted and SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs are right now about Hugo.

And CS I'm not focusing all this on you. I respect your viewpoints and appreciate your contributions both here and at SC...

I respect your take on all of this but I still think dele is a hell of a player. He will never have the flair some want or the rocket shot. He has intangibles that many see, but are currently rusty due to form. For me you don't go from League 1 where he scored in the teens to the Prem, where he scored in the teens, and then a year later regress. He has been out all year and is a competitor. Come this time next year I expect him to have the numbers he has had.

I appreciate your response ! Civil can be done :)

After our last free kick when ball went out to their fans and our players were trying to get the ball, and got only abuse from dippers from the stand... I wanted to break my TV, almost did. The hate I felt in that moment was similar to woolwich one.
I'm gonna celebrate like crazy when City wins it.

What don't you understand about 'less pressure on early season games as opposed to post Christmas when every game is 'must win'?

It's extremely simple to understand!

Must say I disagree with the "less pressure on early season games" part. They are just as vital to win, in order to challenge for the league / Top 4, or whatever.

If you don't pick up the points in those games, then there's also no pressure post Christmas, as you're not actually playing for anything. Especially if you look at the form of City and Liverpool this season, where they are setting the standard that every game is a must win, in order to challenge for the league.

Must say I disagree with the "less pressure on early season games" part. They are just as vital to win, in order to challenge for the league / Top 4, or whatever.

If you don't pick up the points in those games, then there's also no pressure post Christmas, as you're not actually playing for anything. Especially if you look at the form of City and Liverpool this season, where they are setting the standard that every game is a must win, in order to challenge for the league.

It's difficult (not impossible!)to wreck a season if you drop points in the first ten games as you have 28 more games to recover.

Dropping points in the last ten games of the season can be catastrophic as you have no chance to recover.

Hence, buy in the summer and integrate early. Buy in January and you have much less time and fewer games to integrate. Post-Christmas pretty much every game is 'must win'.

Of course trying to win every game is important. If you lose the first ten then you'll never challenge for top 4. Assuming a good start and mid-season, the final 10-15 games are crucial. There is so much more pressure on these post-Christmas games. Not the time to integrate new January signings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom