Liverpoo v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 31.03.19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shall I name every summer signing from every club that failed too?

Or just start with the Spurs ones so you can see how many flaws there are in your argument

I didn't have to think very hard to come up with those failures!

You don't sign in January. The business is done in the summer to give the signings time to learn their colleagues' names, overcome any language problems, learn drills and set plays etc.

Never (barring the exceptional circumstance I've quoted) buy in January. Always the summer.

Alexei Sanchez a successful January signing - give me a break!

We can't put losing a game down to one individual error. The whole team is to blame, but he's got to do better there. Van Dijk was able to close down the passing option, because he knew he could let Sissoko shoot. He's got to at least get that one on target, as otherwise the defender will always know to let Sissoko have the ball and can concentrate on blocking off any support runners.
We know that, Sissoko knows that. Just look at his reaction after missing. Nobody is blaming Moose more than Moose himself at this point. The abuse he has gotten by "our own lot" on social media since the game is disgraceful.

I didn't have to think very hard to come up with those failures!

You don't sign in January. The business is done in the summer to give the signings time to learn their colleagues' names, overcome any language problems, learn drills and set plays etc.

Never (barring the exceptional circumstance I've quoted) buy in January. Always the summer.

Alexei Sanchez a successful January signing - give me a break!

It makes no difference if they were successful.
They were major transfers.

Some summer signjngs failed too, it doesn’t mean it was because they were signed in the summer.

“You don’t sign in January”

Expect when you do sign in January....like Van Dijk.

You should do major business when it’s required and if that’s in January then so be it
Nope.

January is when the desperate PL relegation-fodder are trying to buy someone to score goals to keep them up. Or Championship promotion contenders buying someone to take them into the PL.

We don't want to get mixed up in that bun-fight. Buy in Summer.

Not gonna blame LLoris for not catching the header, I'm not even sure how that would have been possible given his position, but on the rebound off Toby, he not only waves over the ball but also impedes Toby from clearing it. It's an easy stop if he keeps his hand on the ground.

Salads header was an easy save that Hugo should have made
On reviewing it Salad wasn’t offside as I originally thought but Hugo could also have came out and either caught it, punched it, punched Salad, anything really as the ball was just lofted in our area hopefully and was in the air a long time

It was the Dippers lucky day
End of

There are far more successful summer transfers that January for the reasons I've explained.

Alexei Sanchez was an example of good January business? Or are you advocating any January business is good?
More success and more failures though too. Because there are more signings....is this difficult for you?

It doesn’t mean “YOU DONT SIGN IN JANUARY “ though just because most signjngs are done in the summer.

Laporte, Mata and David Luiz, Aubameyang, Moura and Van Dijk were all signed in January

Signings work out or they don’t.

Are you advocating that any old summer signings are good business on the basis that Soldado and Janssen were shit?

The reasoning behind a signing is the same in the winter as the summer.
To address an area that needs addressing.

If Kane was ruled out until next season, would you have been happy to wait until the summer to upgrade Llorente?

Name January signjngs!!!......just not those ten players, they don’t fit my argument”

Selling Dembele will cost us more financially than what Levy made on the transfer.

Such a stupid, pointless sale of a player that kept us ticking over between midfield and attack, and to not have a replacement is quite stupefying in the extreme at any level let alone Premier League.

I take your point and was a Dembele fan but perhaps he wasn’t fit enough and the club decided to get what they could for him

As for replacing him perhaps there was no one suitable available?

That was cruel, three excellent attempts at goal and then that blunder.

Rose could have set up the second so nicely but he just lacks the ability to look before acting

Yes Danny had all the time in the world to find someone in the box
Bad error just chipping it over the bar
I really don’t know what he was thinking of

See also: passing, crossing, intercepting, heading...

You must have forgot the Eriksen CL goal against Inter which was set up by Sissoko who intercepted, passed and crossed etc when we, as a team, were going nowhere

Before people accuse me of being biased I did say at the time that it was a bad miss but there were other bad misses and errors so you can’t throw just one player under the bus for the result

Did I just say ‘Bus’?

We know that, Sissoko knows that. Just look at his reaction after missing. Nobody is blaming Moose more than Moose himself at this point. The abuse he has gotten by "our own lot" on social media since the game is disgraceful.

Also look at Sonny ‘a reaction picking Moussa up and consoling him
Nice touch and shows our team spirit

If Kane was ruled out until next season, would you have been happy to wait until the summer to upgrade Llorente?

Already explained that there are exceptional circumstances when you are forced to buy in January.

However under pretty much all other circumstances, buy in the summer - for the reasons I've given which you've chosen to ignore.

Dropping a January signing into a squad/team mid-season is disruptive. They won't know their teammates names until Easter - plus any language complications!

More success and more failures though too. Because there are more signings....is this difficult for you?

It doesn’t mean “YOU DONT SIGN IN JANUARY “ though just because most signjngs are done in the summer.

Laporte, Mata and David Luiz, Aubameyang, Moura and Van Dijk were all signed in January

Signings work out or they don’t.

Are you advocating that any old summer signings are good business on the basis that Soldado and Janssen were shit?

The reasoning behind a signing is the same in the winter as the summer.
To address an area that needs addressing.

Name January signjngs!!!......just not those ten players, they don’t fit my argument”

No one is disagreeing with you regarding January. Yes we could technically sign someone according to the transfer rules. What people aren't agreeing with is you think our summer business (when it's most likely you will get your targets, have a pre season with the team etc) was ok.

Back
Top Bottom