Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Southgate reveals why he picked 3 rbs in the squad to face Scotland, Clyne was carrying an injury.
Clyne has now pulled out.
Why name Clyne anyway if he knew he was injured.

Southgate reveals why he picked 3 rbs in the squad to face Scotland, Clyne was carrying an injury.
Clyne has now pulled out.
Why name Clyne anyway if he knew he was injured.

Change the name, everything else stays the same... sigh.

Him Vs Martial a couple of weeks ago should at the very least provoke cautionary concern; seen that scenario before.

Yea Trippier definitely is not as physically robust as Walker is. Martial completely owned him on that play. I am hoping that was a big wake-up call to Trippier on what he can expect playing in Europe and the big time prem games next season. He'll need to make necessary adjustments, or it could turn into an exploitable tactic against us.

Other than that though, I love watching Trippier play. I think he is a much more skillful player in attack than Walker is. Defense wins games and titles though and I am not sure how Trippier stacks up in this department. We really haven't seen much of him at that level yet to be fair. It will be a bit of a leap of faith though if we go into next season without a physical young RB to back him up.

A FB defined by (and almost exclusively rated according to) his crossing ability..... Modern football eh?

Not a dig at KT, but c'mon, some of you need to get a little perspective.

Hate to say it but against a decent team and outside of our system (i.e. for England) I could see him being seriously exposed...

Him Vs Martial a couple of weeks ago should at the very least provoke cautionary concern; seen that scenario before.
i still recall watching walker getting torn a new one by the fairly shit jefferson montero not that long ago.

i still recall watching walker getting torn a new one by the fairly shit jefferson montero not that long ago.
When?

Montero had a patch where he was destroying many fullbacks. Last time he faced Walker was in the 2-2 away at Swansea where KW dealt with him very well. Montero got a few corners out of him but nothing else.

Last time I remember him being properly beaten was against Zaha when we lost at Palace. That's about it.

When?

Montero had a patch where he was destroying many fullbacks. Last time he faced Walker was in the 2-2 away at Swansea where KW dealt with him very well. Montero got a few corners out of him but nothing else.

Last time I remember him being properly beaten was against Zaha when we lost at Palace. That's about it.
he got nothing else because his end product is garbage. he did give him all sorts of trouble though. i'm not having a pop at walker, just making the point that he's hardly the superman that he seems to have become to some.

I really don't mind Trippier becoming the new starting RB, assuming that Walker is leaving. He's done an excellent job in most of the games that he's played in. Plus, "Trippier" is a very fun name to say.

Congratulations to him because he is a Spurs player, always great to see this. Also, another feather in the cap for Poch getting yet another first cap for a player, this will continue be a big draw for our recruitment of English footballers and the retention of the talents within our academy who get better offers from the likes of Chelsea and City.

But on a serious note, I still don't rate him. He is a poor defender and his technically average. I still see his delivery as low percentage.
RomanzoCriminale RomanzoCriminale I'm going to guess you disagreeing with me about his crossing, have to guess as you haven't made any comment or opinions of your own. Here is his mighty crossing numbers; 29 crosses attempted only 7 completed, not really that good is it? misses 75% of them.

What is impressive is his output, he made these 29 crosses in just 12 games.

RomanzoCriminale RomanzoCriminale I'm going to guess you disagreeing with me about his crossing, have to guess as you haven't made any comment or opinions of your own. Here is his mighty crossing numbers; 29 crosses attempted only 7 completed, not really that good is it? misses 75% of them.

What is a good percentage for completed crosses? I really have no idea.

whats most important is the quality of the completed crosses.

5 assists from 29 crosses isnt bad.

lets add a little perspective to his delivery...

Mane - 27 games, 5 assists, cross completion 17%
eriksen - 36 games, 15 assists, cc 22%
pogba - 30 games, 4 assists, cc 18%
KBD - 30 games, 18 assists, cc 30%
Gylfi Sig - 38 games, 13 assists, cc 29%
Hazard - 36 games, 5 assists, cc 20%
Ozil - 33 games, 9 assists, cc 32%
Tripps - 12 games, 5 assist, cc 25%

so just taking a handful of some of the epls top creative players only a few have better a cc%; however Tripps assist/game ratio is 2nd best. Tripps assists/cross ratio is the best.

For a RBs attacking/crossing talents to stack up against this lot is truly impressive.

Sorry was on a train, i just think he offers a lot more going forward than Kyle Walker, don't get me wrong i love Kyle and would hate for him to leave but his end product is poor sometimes embarrassing. I think Poch got frustrated with him, hence Trippier getting the games. Poch said earlier in the season that Trippier would have got more game time if he hadn't just had a baby.

The thing with Trippier is he's only going to improve over the next 3-4 years. You can improve defending, even just by keeping shape/position, but running at a fullback and getting in a scoring chance is a hard skill. Even Rose struggles (although it has improved) with his end ball sometimes.

Lets say he replicated his output this season over a full season next year including cups, even playing 46 games that would be 20 assists, that would be amazing for a right back. Does Walker have 20 assists in total in all his time he's been here?

People are picking out that he struggled against a couple of players, but name me a fullback that hasn't struggled against our front line this past couple of years?

whats most important is the quality of the completed crosses.

5 assists from 29 crosses isnt bad.

lets add a little perspective to his delivery...

Mane - 27 games, 5 assists, cross completion 17%
eriksen - 36 games, 15 assists, cc 22%
pogba - 30 games, 4 assists, cc 18%
KBD - 30 games, 18 assists, cc 30%
Gylfi Sig - 38 games, 13 assists, cc 29%
Hazard - 36 games, 5 assists, cc 20%
Ozil - 33 games, 9 assists, cc 32%
Tripps - 12 games, 5 assist, cc 25%

so just taking a handful of some of the epls top creative players only a few have better a cc%; however Tripps assist/game ratio is 2nd best. Tripps assists/cross ratio is the best.

For a RBs attacking/crossing talents to stack up against this lot is truly impressive.
Assist stats are the worst stat to ever exist in the history of football. Meaningless and tells us nothing, miss hit shot given as an assist. A ball hitting a players arse as he lies on the floor = an assist. They are irrelevant, meaningless.

Bottomline just like corners, crosses are in the main shite, very low percentage opportunities. For whatever reason this country loves corners and crosses, wanks over them in fact despite them being low percentage opportunities. The reason why Walker is better than him is Walker, takes on the defence, when he get behind he pulls the ball back to usually Eriksen (who can cross but from a better angle and/or closer to goal or he can slip a ball thru or over the top of oppo), who then claims an assist in the next phase of play. No aimless whipping the ball across that 75% of the time results in absolutely nothing at all.

Sorry was on a train, i just think he offers a lot more going forward than Kyle Walker, don't get me wrong i love Kyle and would hate for him to leave but his end product is poor sometimes embarrassing. I think Poch got frustrated with him, hence Trippier getting the games. Poch said earlier in the season that Trippier would have got more game time if he hadn't just had a baby.

The thing with Trippier is he's only going to improve over the next 3-4 years. You can improve defending, even just by keeping shape/position, but running at a fullback and getting in a scoring chance is a hard skill. Even Rose struggles (although it has improved) with his end ball sometimes.

Lets say he replicated his output this season over a full season next year including cups, even playing 46 games that would be 20 assists, that would be amazing for a right back. Does Walker have 20 assists in total in all his time he's been here?

People are picking out that he struggled against a couple of players, but name me a fullback that hasn't struggled against our front line this past couple of years?
Walker is far more dangerous that Trippier, he possess the ability to take on a player and get past, Trippier has never successfully taken on a player and succeeded on all of those game he has played. Walker creates more than Trippier, an assist is a shite stat, who do you think passes the ball to Erikssen, who sets up Eriksen?......Walker does, Walker is the ball before the assist, it's far more dangerous, less hit and hope. Walker and Rose both have the ability to carry the ball and run at the oppo and either get behind the defence or run into the box, committing players, turning players. Trippier doesn't do this. His crossing comes from either by taking the ball first time/very early (which I love) or a ball hit over the top of the oppo which he looks to run onto, he can't beat a player, never has!

Also, bare in mind the teams that he has done this against, mainly shite and he has struggled early on in those games too. He is a liability on the back post too, having never won a header once.

He is fine as a back up, nothing more. By comparison, Davies is a far, far better back up than him, his game is more like Rose's, he is technically a better footballer, able to take on the oppo, get behind them and carry the ball into the box. He also looks to lay the ball off, or pull it back (short passing) mainly to Dele for him to do his thing.

Assist stats are the worst stat to ever exist in the history of football. Meaningless and tells us nothing, miss hit shot given as an assist. A ball hitting a players arse as he lies on the floor = an assist. They are irrelevant, meaningless.

Bottomline just like corners, crosses are in the main shite, very low percentage opportunities. For whatever reason this country loves corners and crosses, wanks over them in fact despite them being low percentage opportunities. The reason why Walker is better than him is Walker, takes on the defence, when he get behind he pulls the ball back to usually Eriksen (who can cross but from a better angle and/or closer to goal or he can slip a ball thru or over the top of oppo), who then claims an assist in the next phase of play. No aimless whipping the ball across that 75% of the time results in absolutely nothing at all.

Come on Trippier doesn't send in an aimless cross every time he gets forward, there are plenty of times he works the ball with whoever's out on the wing with him.

No route to goal guarantees goals, if they did we'd score about 25-30 goals per game.

"The reason why Walker is better than him is Walker, takes on the defence, when he get behind he pulls the ball back to usually Eriksen" you're pretty much confirming what we all say, Walker has pace to burn, allows us to break away at pace, but then needs someone to actually create a chance.

More often than not though he boots it into row z, see the West Ham game.

Walker is far more dangerous that Trippier, he possess the ability to take on a player and get past, Trippier has never successfully taken on a player and succeeded on all of those game he has played. Walker creates more than Trippier, an assist is a shite stat, who do you think passes the ball to Erikssen, who sets up Eriksen?......Walker does, Walker is the ball before the assist, it's far more dangerous, less hit and hope. Walker and Rose both have the ability to carry the ball and run at the oppo and either get behind the defence or run into the box, committing players, turning players. Trippier doesn't do this. His crossing comes from either by taking the ball first time/very early (which I love) or a ball hit over the top of the oppo which he looks to run onto, he can't beat a player, never has!

Also, bare in mind the teams that he has done this against, mainly shite and he has struggled early on in those games too. He is a liability on the back post too, having never won a header once.

He is fine as a back up, nothing more. By comparison, Davies is a far, far better back up than him, his game is more like Rose's, he is technically a better footballer, able to take on the oppo, get behind them and carry the ball into the box. He also looks to lay the ball off, or pull it back (short passing) mainly to Dele for him to do his thing.

An assist is a shite stat?......oh fuck man you've lost me now, seriously?.

Footballs a simple game, create and score more, concede less isn't it?

I'd love to see a stat on how many times Walker has passed to Erikssen and its created a goal anyone?

Come on Trippier doesn't send in an aimless cross every time he gets forward, there are plenty of times he works the ball with whoever's out on the wing with him.

No route to goal guarantees goals, if they did we'd score about 25-30 goals per game.

"The reason why Walker is better than him is Walker, takes on the defence, when he get behind he pulls the ball back to usually Eriksen" you're pretty much confirming what we all say, Walker has pace to burn, allows us to break away at pace, but then needs someone to actually create a chance.

More often than not though he boots it into row z, see the West Ham game.
He has pace, but pace enables him to run onto the ball that's been played over the top of a defence, this is what Trips does too, not just about raw pace but the pass too.

I am referring directly the the ability to take on a player, dribble past him, the better footballers can do this. Trippier is incapable of doing this, he has NEVER taken on a player and beaten his man!! He can't because he isn't as good a footballer as Walker. Walker has far more strings to his bow, pace, ability to take on a player, lay the ball off to (play short) to another player, carry the ball into the box, turn the defence. Tripps whips in an early ball.

don't be silly. yes there are 'accidental' assists but its not a coincidence that the top assist makers every year are the KDBs, eriksens, ozils, sanchez's, or are they the most lucky fuckers ever to lace on boots?

do we also disregard goals as they can be scuffed shots, or deflections?

i didnt say tripps was better than walker, just that his delivery is very good. i know this from watching him, the stats merely back up my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom