Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has pace, but pace enables him to run onto the ball that's been played over the top of a defence, this is what Trips does too, not just about raw pace but the pass too.

I am referring directly the the ability to take on a player, dribble past him, the better footballers can do this. Trippier is incapable of doing this, he has NEVER taken on a player and beaten his man!! He can't because he isn't as good a footballer as Walker. Walker has far more strings to his bow, pace, ability to take on a player, lay the ball off to (play short) to another player, carry the ball into the box, turn the defence. Tripps whips in an early ball.
yeah beckham was shite too.

don't be silly. yes there are 'accidental' assists but its not a coincidence that the top assist makers every year are the KDBs, eriksens, ozils, sanchez's, or are they the most lucky fuckers ever to lace on boots?

do we also disregard goals as they can be scuffed shots, or deflections?

i didnt say tripps was better than walker, just that his delivery is very good. i know this from watching him, the stats merely back up my opinion.
Each to their own mate. Interesting that you quote Ozil, have you seen this waste of skin play, are you familiar that the general football public think he isn't that good? They have come to this conclusion by watching his contribution to the game, those that bail him out every week are those that just quote the number of his assists. Assists are a shite stat.

He has pace, but pace enables him to run onto the ball that's been played over the top of a defence, this is what Trips does too, not just about raw pace but the pass too.

I am referring directly the the ability to take on a player, dribble past him, the better footballers can do this. Trippier is incapable of doing this, he has NEVER taken on a player and beaten his man!! He can't because he isn't as good a footballer as Walker. Walker has far more strings to his bow, pace, ability to take on a player, lay the ball off to (play short) to another player, carry the ball into the box, turn the defence. Tripps whips in an early ball.

There are plenty of good/great wide players that can't beat a man with pace Waddle wasn't the fastest but had the skill, Beckham, Sigurdsson, etc

"lay the ball off to (play short) to another player," come on surely even you could do that?

It is the worst stat in football, ranked over by fan boys. A miss hit shot can be counted as an assist!

But if it creates a goal surely even that's better than the ball ending in row z?

Lets agree to disagree mate i love both players but i just think Trippier gives us more technically and assists wise but obviously Walker has more pace which helps going forward and in defence.

I would keep both if we could and rotate, why break something that works.

Each to their own mate. Interesting that you quote Ozil, have you seen this waste of skin play, are you familiar that the general football public think he isn't that good? They have come to this conclusion by watching his contribution to the game, those that bail him out every week are those that just quote the number of his assists. Assists are a shite stat.
no they are a reasonable measure of a players ability to create. Ozil is very creative, just lacks the mentality to perform consistently at that level, but there's no doubting his technical ability. the ball doesn't bounce off his arse 15-20 times a season into the path of an onrushing forward.

There are plenty of good/great wide players that can't beat a man with pace Waddle wasn't the fastest but had the skill, Beckham, Sigurdsson, etc

"lay the ball off to (play short) to another player," come on surely even you could do that?
To lay the ball off, play it short is the whole point I am making mate! It is a far more dangerous to our build up. It is not whipping the ball into the box that 75% of the time results to absolutely nothing! This is exactly the point I am making, it creates more opportunities and Walker, Rose and Davies all do this because they do it.

no they are a reasonable measure of a players ability to create. Ozil is very creative, just lacks the mentality to perform consistently at that level, but there's no doubting his technical ability. the ball doesn't bounce off his arse 15-20 times a season into the path of an onrushing forward.
Wow! Woolwich fans themselves have even turned on him this year. He has been shit, even Wenger dropped him. He barely shows up for them, it's like playing with 10 men on the pitch.

Wow! Woolwich fans themselves have even turned on him this year. He has been shit, even Wenger dropped him. He barely shows up for them, it's like playing with 10 men on the pitch.
either you're missing the point or avoiding it on purpose mate.

My point is
a) Trippier ain't that good
b) His crossing stats are low percentage
c) Walker is far better
d) Walker is far more dangerous
e) Assists is "probably" one of the worst/meaningless stats in football

Think that covers it.
whether or not you rate him overall is irrelevant - thats your opinion and you're fully entitled.
however to say his crossing is a low percentage lacks perspective. it may be a low percentage in the strict term that 25 is the lower end of 100, but its a high percentile, which is infinitely more important.

if assist stats are meaningless then by proxy assists are meaningless which is actually idiotic.

whether or not you rate him overall is irrelevant - thats your opinion and you're fully entitled.
however to say his crossing is a low percentage lacks perspective. it may be a low percentage in the strict term that 25 is the lower end of 100, but its a high percentile, which is infinitely more important.

if assist stats are meaningless then by proxy assists are meaningless which is actually idiotic.
But when a player is creating more and better opportunities because they play lower percentage passes this is better for the team, more dangerous, than playing a high percentage pass, that usually comes to nothing. So, the perspective is relevant when comparing the output of the FB's, who are capable of creating better opportunities against someone who can only creates low percentage opportunities.

But when a player is creating more and better opportunities because they play lower percentage passes this is better for the team, more dangerous, than playing a high percentage pass, that usually comes to nothing. So, the perspective is relevant when comparing the output of the FB's, who are capable of creating better opportunities against someone who can only creates low percentage opportunities.
i get what you're saying, that what it comes down to is maximizing the possibility of scoring - what i am saying is what if tripps crossing IS maximizing it?

the only way we can disect that is by looking at the stats. he has more assist per pass/cross/minute than any other play, so i say let him cross it if he thinks its on.

i get what you're saying, that what it comes down to is maximizing the possibility of scoring - what i am saying is what if tripps crossing IS maximizing it?

the only way we can disect that is by looking at the stats. he has more assist per pass/cross/minute than any other play, so i say let him cross it if he thinks its on.
If he's playing we have no choice, as he can't do what the other FB's do. What he does is good. But it's not as damaging, not as effective as our other FB's, this is why I say the things about him. We are a better, more dangerous side when he doesn't play.

Back
Top Bottom