Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he's playing we have no choice, as he can't do what the other FB's do. What he does is good. But it's not as damaging, not as effective as our other FB's, this is why I say the things about him. We are a better, more dangerous side when he doesn't play.
i havent got a problem with this, or you preferring walker. i prefer walkers all round game, i just dont get the comments that his crossing is shit and assists are meaningless.

i havent got a problem with this, or you preferring walker. i prefer walkers all round game, i just dont get the comments that his crossing is shit and assists are meaningless.
Assist just are, do not reflect true ability and contribution of a player, Ozil is the classic point in case.

I've had a thing about corners and their effectiveness (lack of) for years, crossing is just an extension of that. It bugs the fuck out of me that people love crosses so much, when in fact they are such poor way to score a goal from, people think the exact opposite. Trippier gets it in the neck from me because this is all he can do. But because people think crosses are great many are saying Trips is better than Walker as a result. All I see is an attack break down almost all of the time when Tripps crosses a ball into the box. What a waste, if only he had the ability to take on a player, turn a defender, slip in a cheeky ball to whoever instead of whipping in a ball that misses everyone.

My point is
a) Trippier ain't that good
b) His crossing stats are low percentage
c) Walker is far better
d) Walker is far more dangerous
e) Assists is "probably" one of the worst/meaningless stats in football

Think that covers it.

If we go...

A) He's pretty good
B) His crossing stats are significantly better than the premier league average (based on the 2014/15 stats i posted earlier. Tripps 25% success versus 21.5% PL ave)
C) Walker is a bit better
D) Walker is a bit more dangerous
E) Not much disagreement here.

Then i agree with you.

If we go...

A) He's pretty good
B) His crossing stats are significantly better than the premier league average (based on the 2014/15 stats i posted earlier. Tripps 25% success versus 21.5% PL ave)
C) Walker is a bit better
D) Walker is a bit more dangerous
E) Not much disagreement here.

Then i agree with you.
I am afraid I can't agree with any of that me old mukka. Walker is one of the best RB's in Europe, he's shit hot. Wonder why Citeh haven't come in for Trippier? They do choose to sell him though, an academy product of theirs, a product they so desperately crave, English player, academy created. They could kill many birds with one stone but choose to buy the guy that you say is just a bit better.

Sorry.
:dierpochhug:

Assist just are, do not reflect true ability and contribution of a player, Ozil is the classic point in case.

I've had a thing about corners and their effectiveness (lack of) for years, crossing is just an extension of that. It bugs the fuck out of me that people love crosses so much, when in fact they are such poor way to score a goal from, people think the exact opposite. Trippier gets it in the neck from me because this is all he can do. But because people think crosses are great many are saying Trips is better than Walker as a result. All I see is an attack break down almost all of the time when Tripps crosses a ball into the box. What a waste, if only he had the ability to take on a player, turn a defender, slip in a cheeky ball to whoever instead of whipping in a ball that misses everyone.

He's good at that cute little pass into space between the fullback and the CB. We've scored a couple from that.

I am afraid I can't agree with any of that me old mukka.

Now you're disagreeing with a point where i'm agreeing with you? E) ?

Anyway, pedantry aside, different opinions are what it's all about.

I think that Tripps is a good proponent of a certain style of play - which you rightly say is statistically not as good as a through-ball type of play. I certainly don't think he's as poor as you think, however.

I believe he did that against Fulham, as I was screaming for him to do just that, or have I mixed that up with screaming at him to cut it back, which he did definatly against Fulham. I'm all confused now.

I can't remember the games where he did it, but I liked it - it showed a little invention.

Now you're disagreeing with a point where i'm agreeing with you? E) ?

Anyway, pedantry aside, different opinions are what it's all about.

I think that Tripps is a good proponent of a certain style of play - which you rightly say is statistically not as good as a through-ball type of play. I certainly don't think he's as poor as you think, however.
Defining element is this, the opposition he played against was:
Hull - already relegated
Man U - were they bothered??
Arse - Played very well but lost loads of individual battles defensively
Chelsea - poor
Watford - very poor first half
Burnley - very poor first half

Not a glowing CV for me.

i didn't say it reflects the true ability i said it reflects the standard of their final ball. Ozils final ball is excellent, he's just shit everywhere else.
and that was the conversation - tripps crossing, not his overall ability.

I am afraid I can't agree with any of that me old mukka. Walker is one of the best RB's in Europe, he's shit hot. Wonder why Citeh haven't come in for Trippier? They do choose to sell him though, an academy product of theirs, a product they so desperately crave, English player, academy created. They could kill many birds with one stone but choose to buy the guy that you say is just a bit better.

Sorry.
:dierpochhug:

The fact that a club has sold a young player does not mean he won't become good enough for them.

Pogba, Matic and Lukaku are fairly recent examples.

I agree though that Walker is the better player for his ability to dominate the right side defensively and for his athletisism. When chasing a goal against a weaker side though, Trips is the better player.

The fact that a club has sold a young player does not mean he won't become good enough for them.

Pogba, Matic and Lukaku are fairly recent examples.

I agree though that Walker is the better player for his ability to dominate the right side defensively and for his athletisism. When chasing a goal against a weaker side though, Trips is the better player.
Trippier is 26yrs old, I guess Citeh are giving it another couple of years.

Trippier is 26yrs old, I guess Citeh are giving it another couple of years.
That's just being facetious...They are completely different players.

Imo Walker is better against bigger teams that try to press us as he can also provide that outlet on the wing. Tripps is better against teams that sit back because he can pick out a good final ball.

Walker overall is a better player, which is why the biggest teams want him. They can afford to pay a premium for the very best, but I think you're underselling Trippier.

That's just being facetious...They are completely different players.

Imo Walker is better against bigger teams that try to press us as he can also provide that outlet on the wing. Tripps is better against teams that sit back because he can pick out a good final ball.

Walker overall is a better player, which is why the biggest teams want him. They can afford to pay a premium for the very best, but I think you're underselling Trippier.
Each to their own. I think you're overselling Trippier.

DCOC99SWsAIAD_j.jpg:large

Deserved reward for Tripps

He should be very proud of his performance.

Besides one dodgy moment when Mbappe send him to the shop, he done very well. What I've noticed with Trippier is that he always tends to make the smart pass. The Mbappe thing was worrying because it was very similar to what Martial done to him that lead to Rooney's goal against United - but I'm sure he'll learn from it.

He should be very proud of his performance.

Besides one dodgy moment when Mbappe send him to the shop, he done very well. What I've noticed with Trippier is that he always tends to make the smart pass. The Mbappe thing was worrying because it was very similar to what Martial done to him that lead to Rooney's goal against United - but I'm sure he'll learn from it.

I'm afraid we've got to live with the fact that he's not brilliant 1v1 defensively. And we've been used to having one of the best defending 1v1 rbs in te world.

Trippier instead of Walker will make us more prone to trouble against good, quick, offensive left wingers, but less prone to terrible, astray passes getting usin trouble.

With the current meta game, Trippier could actually be the best option, as few teams play with true wingers.

I'm afraid we've got to live with the fact that he's not brilliant 1v1 defensively. And we've been used to having one of the best defending 1v1 rbs in te world.

Trippier instead of Walker will make us more prone to trouble against good, quick, offensive left wingers, but less prone to terrible, astray passes getting usin trouble.

With the current meta game, Trippier could actually be the best option, as few teams play with true wingers.

3 at the back masks a lot of that though.

Back
Top Bottom