Joshua Onomah

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got the feeling that, just like every loaned player, we've seen the last of Onomah.

I think Poch has adjusted his views on loans and they no longer mean he's done with a player when he goes on loan. I think CCV is good example. He was being groomed to become a first teamer but we've become a more attractive proposition and have been able to get players like Sanchez and good prospects like Foyth, whose ahead of CCV, so both him and Onomah would struggle to get any first team minutes, even in the league cup, so it's the best option for them to go on loan and then see how they do and review their futures a year down the line. I don't think either will come back and be first teamers next season and the ideal will be to find Premier League loans.

I think Poch has adjusted his views on loans and they no longer mean he's done with a player when he goes on loan. I think CCV is good example. He was being groomed to become a first teamer but we've become a more attractive proposition and have been able to get players like Sanchez and good prospects like Foyth, whose ahead of CCV, so both him and Onomah would struggle to get any first team minutes, even in the league cup, so it's the best option for them to go on loan and then see how they do and review their futures a year down the line. I don't think either will come back and be first teamers next season and the ideal will be to find Premier League loans.

CCV just flat out hasn't improved. Seeing him play live 100% confirmed to me that he has no place going forward in our team. I would be stunned if he comes back.

I think the only reason anyone thinks Pochettino has changed his opinion on loans is because this summer two players that we all assumed would be quality going into the future have been loaned out. There's absolutely no reason to think his opinion has changed. Two players that wouldn't cut it in this team are on loan. Neither of them are even 3rd picks at their position, don't expect them to stay under the clubs umbrella past this summer.

CCV just flat out hasn't improved. Seeing him play live 100% confirmed to me that he has no place going forward in our team. I would be stunned if he comes back.

I think the only reason anyone thinks Pochettino has changed his opinion on loans is because this summer two players that we all assumed would be quality going into the future have been loaned out. There's absolutely no reason to think his opinion has changed. Two players that wouldn't cut it in this team are on loan. Neither of them are even 3rd picks at their position, don't expect them to stay under the clubs umbrella past this summer.

But I think the bar to get into the first team has been raised significantly since Poch came here so there has to be a realism that there won't be as many academy players breaking into the team as before. This ends up being true for most top clubs. For example, Mason wouldn't get anywhere near this team.

KWP was offered the chance to go out on loan to a Dutch club last season but declined and is now in and around the first team squad, so being offered to go out on loan doesn't always mean the end. I think the biggest question mark over Ononmah is his mentality, and moving away from home, growing up a bit and developing a mentality where he's the guy to make the difference might get him back on track because he just seemed to drift through games whenever he got a chance here. And CCV's managed to break into Sheffield United's team, but I rate his chances of making it here much lower.

But I think the bar to get into the first team has been raised significantly since Poch came here so there has to be a realism that there won't be as many academy players breaking into the team as before. This ends up being true for most top clubs. For example, Mason wouldn't get anywhere near this team.

KWP was offered the chance to go out on loan to a Dutch club last season but declined and is now in and around the first team squad, so being offered to go out on loan doesn't always mean the end. I think the biggest question mark over Ononmah is his mentality, and moving away from home, growing up a bit and developing a mentality where he's the guy to make the difference might get him back on track because he just seemed to drift through games whenever he got a chance here. And CCV's managed to break into Sheffield United's team, but I rate his chances of making it here much lower.
this.
If Poch has shown anything at us it's adaptability and that he's willing to evolve as a coach and manager.

I don't get the Onomah negativity - i'm not saying I've seen something other haven't, just that he's barely had a kick in his preferred position. It'd be like playing dembele out wide in a front 3 then saying he's shit. He's barely turned 20 years old ffs - who at the start of 2013 was rubbing their hands in glee watching Kane at Norwich? i'd wage not a soul (except for Tim but he was a genius, best win rate in recent history etc etc) )

Reading Pochs book, it looks like Onomah was close to leaving at the start of last season. I think Windy also mentioned that Poch wasn't happy with Onomahs attitude this season when he came back from the u20 world cup all cocky.

He's obviously talented. Just hope he can knuckle down, continue to improve and be the one making the sort of impression Winks has this season.

Ha, no doubt.

I still see a place for him here. Dembele hasn't got long left I don't think. This Villa loan is doing him wonders and he'd deserve a shot on the bench next year if he continues to improve.

His game reminds me of Dembele so much, and he's even said he's worked closely with him if I remember correctly.

Scrolling through villa forums they seem quite ambivalent towards him. Brillliant at times but also ghosts out in other times.

Another loan spell at the PL could do him good (Silva at Watford could work with him). It will also increase his sale value if we decide he doesn’t cut it (and 12m for an homegrown player is good money)

Ha, no doubt.

I still see a place for him here. Dembele hasn't got long left I don't think. This Villa loan is doing him wonders and he'd deserve a shot on the bench next year if he continues to improve.
He plays nowhere near Dembele's position

Scrolling through villa forums they seem quite ambivalent towards him. Brillliant at times but also ghosts out in other times.

Another loan spell at the PL could do him good (Silva at Watford could work with him). It will also increase his sale value if we decide he doesn’t cut it (and 12m for an homegrown player is good money)

Story of his career, guy has amazing talent no doubt but he sometimes disappears. Winks by comparison is a very busy player, that is the last major part of the game Onomah needs to evolve, he needs to learn to always be in the game, he has the skills, power and pace to be top draw but a top level player cannot go missing in games.

Hopefully 1-2 seasons time he will have got that and can go right to the top.

Poch has literally said that once players have their foundations in place they should go out on loan

Back
Top Bottom