Joshua Onomah

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Indeed.

I guess what this scenario throws up is; if a ref makes what he naturally believes to be the correct call, why would he then proceed to second guess himself and opt to call for VAR to intervene?

Part of me feels were essentially in the same place we have been all along; where 9 times out of 10 the ref will trust their own judgement over consulting any secondary officiating; be it lino, 4th official or a video-ref.

Personally, I think the 'status' of the refs need to be addressed; make it all a more open book; publish statements re controversial incidents and alleviate some of the exclusive-responsibility from the refs and establish a better way to implement retrospective punishments.

Then the tech may well be put to far more effective use in the guise of being there to help the ref's rather than over-rule them as the current (or likely revisions to the) rules/implementations suggest.

I think a three challenge rule simular to tennis could work.

Two yellows and a red card.

In the spirit of your pedantry.... 2 yellows accumulates to the effect of a red card; essentially, the ref did not "issue' a red.

This distinction IS worth making (otherwise why integrate these kinds of definitions and scenarios into the rule book to start with? ...And why does the punishment system support such an incremental basis?); unless you are also gonna deny the reality of their being such a thing as picking up a yellow AND a straight red to follow.

Yellow + Red = higher level of offense and punishment than Yellow + Yellow.

In order to send off a player you have to issue a red card, had he done a Graham Pole the player would have remained on the pitch.

Yes... Because a 2nd yellow (or a BONAFIDE red!) had not been issued.

(Not sure what you were trying to illustrate here tbh.)

How many times in a season do we hear the words muttered "Ref bottled the second red"? The outlook you are promoting merely fosters more of the same.

A red card is a red card, it's the only purpose is to remove a player from the field of play. A player will remain on the pitch until it is issued but it has to be issued before a player leaves the field.

No problem at all if you don't agree with my end-point, but with all due respect... You're being contrary for the sake of it mate.

In the spirit of your pedantry.... 2 yellows accumulates to the effect of a red card; essentially, the ref did not "issue' a red.

This distinction IS worth making (otherwise why integrate these kinds of definitions and scenarios into the rule book to start with? ...And why does the punishment system support such an incremental basis?); unless you are also gonna deny the reality of their being such a thing as picking up a yellow AND a straight red to follow.

Yellow + Red = higher level of offense and punishment than Yellow + Yellow.

Yes... Because a 2nd yellow (or a BONAFIDE red!) had not been issued.

(Not sure what you were trying to illustrate here tbh.)

How many times in a season do we hear the words muttered "Ref bottled the second red"? The outlook you are promoting merely fosters more of the same.

No problem at all if you don't agree with my end-point, but with all due respect... You're being contrary for the sake of it mate.
With respect is it not you that is the pedant.

As per the rules around the use of VARS (as detailed in early post):
RED CARD INCIDENTS
The role of the VAR is to ensure that no clearly wrong decisions are made in conjunction with sending off or not sending off a player.

It was a red card incident, because the ref issued a red card. Can't see what the dubious debate is here.

With respect is it not you that is the pedant.

As per the rules around the use of VARS (as detailed in early post):
RED CARD INCIDENTS
The role of the VAR is to ensure that no clearly wrong decisions are made in conjunction with sending off or not sending off a player.

It was a red card incident, because the ref issued a red card. Can't see what the dubious debate is here.

I'm not being a pedant... I'm questioning a finer point of something on the basis of enquiry; in hope that any conclusion will bleed back into the wider debate being had. I'm not questioning your interpretation of the VAR rules either.

i.e. You said the ref should be ascerting more caution on the basis that it was a red card decision (or words to that effect)..... I'm concerned that such an approach to what is still essentially a YELLOW card is a slippery slope for the game.

Others have understood the distinction I have drawn (regardless of whether they share my opinion)... It appears you are choosing not to.

I'm not being a pedant... I'm questioning a finer point of something on the basis of enquiry; in hope that any conclusion will bleed back into the wider debate being had. I'm not questioning your interpretation of the VAR rules either.

i.e. You said the ref should be ascerting more caution on the basis that it was a red card decision (or words to that effect)..... I'm concerned that such an approach to what is still essentially a YELLOW card is a slippery slope for the game.

Others have understood the distinction I have drawn (regardless of whether they share my opinion)... It appears you are choosing not to.
Fair enough. But I'm not suggesting for one minute we have VARS used for a yellow card, if so I would have called for it to be used for his first yellow as I saw that one as also wrongly given, but I made no such request. (For the record I don't want VARS used, I'm opposed to it). But if the rules made for the use of VARS include red card incidents and the use of VARS is being trialled in this tournament and therefore available to the ref, then the ref should have used it when sending off the player. Had he done so it would have resulted in a player remaining on the pitch and not being sent off incorrectly. It was a red card incident.

Another point:

Does anyone else think that the VAR's (if they are going to be used) should be proactive as well as reactive. I mean, should they not have been able to look at the footage quickly enough and correct the ref's decision before any actual impact had been made on the game? i.e. before Josh had left the field of play and the game had re-started? If we're going to have them, lets at least have them being useful?

Yeah, I get that the ref had no doubt in his mind.....but he was still wrong.

Another point:

Does anyone else think that the VAR's (if they are going to be used) should be proactive as well as reactive. I mean, should they not have been able to look at the footage quickly enough and correct the ref's decision before any actual impact had been made on the game? i.e. before Josh had left the field of play and the game had re-started? If we're going to have them, lets at least have them being useful?

Yeah, I get that the ref had no doubt in his mind.....but he was still wrong.

Indeed.. This is partially what I was driving towards in previous posts.

As stands, very few refs will have the nerve to 'doubt' their own decisions through fear of how it reflects on their ability to do their job. It will take a massive shift in terms of the roll and responsibilities of the ref to make good of all this tech.

For me, yesterday proves this proposed incarnation of VAR to be pretty useless really.

Bit like the 'retrospective punishments' debate; there's no discernible way to appropriately implement these things given the current laws and jurisdictions within the game to ensure a suitably just outcome to any action taken. Both require us to alter the fabric of the certain aspects of the game. Needless to say, a reluctance to do so has been all too apparent for aaaaaaages....

Unless presented with a genius master-plan of 'I've never thought of that' proportions, aside from some form of off-side line tech, then a bit like Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 , i think we're better off as we are.

treading on the oppo's ankle whilst he is on the ball, the worst yellow i have ever seen! The 1st one he got was for a perfectly good tackle, which he won
Didn't the linesman flag for a foul on Onomah. The linesman had a much better view and all he had to do was consult him, or look at his flag. Ref went with the player reaction, no way has he got a clear view. Shit ref, end of.

Indeed.. This is partially what I was driving towards in previous posts.

As stands, very few refs will have the nerve to 'doubt' their own decisions through fear of how it reflects on their ability to do their job. It will take a massive shift in terms of the roll and responsibilities of the ref to make good of all this tech.

For me, yesterday proves this proposed incarnation of VAR to be pretty useless really.

Bit like the 'retrospective punishments' debate; there's no discernible way to appropriately implement these things given the current laws and jurisdictions within the game to ensure a suitably just outcome to any action taken. Both require us to alter the fabric of the certain aspects of the game. Needless to say, a reluctance to do so has been all too apparent for aaaaaaages....

Unless presented with a genius master-plan of 'I've never thought of that' proportions, aside from some form of off-side line tech, then a bit like Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 , i think we're better off as we are.
yeah its useless in its current set up. If a ref isnt sure he's hardly going to blow for a 'maybe' foul then ask for assistance on a decision. If he is sure, then why would he ask? It works in rugby because the game has already stopped, the ref isn't sure if he's seen the incident correctly so can easily ask for assistance.

Maybe it works as an independent ref who can overrule within a time frame, but then we have the whole undermining argument. It works in cricket though, and tennis.

Mind you this is what happened when this decision went to VARS!!
Pezzella G red card
:pochwtf:

it's clearly obvious on second viewing that the lad just falls over. however, after reviewing the incident using a video assistant referee, the decision made was to award a penalty and send the play off. brilliant!

next they will be telling us they want to have a world cup in Qatar!

England is now in the finals in the U-20 World Cup. It is opening in my country, Korea. I think Onomah is one of the most impressive players. I hope he gets the chance next season

I'm watching u-20 final now. Onomah is a super talent. He's dominating the game haha

Yeah, he's running this game so far.

Hopefully can keep it up and England can win because it'd do him the world of good and there's no doubt Pochettino is watching.

Have to admit I was totally wrong about Onomah (although I blame Poch for that a little :disdain:). He's looked brilliant playing CM for the U20s. Clearly not a winger/forward but looks the real deal as a DM.

Complements the type of player Winks is too so we could well have our future CM pairing already waiting in the wings.

Obviously there are still some question marks over him because Poch certainly isn't shy about trusting youth so why hasn't he trusted him at DM? It's always more of a risk to throw a kid on there than further up the pitch but he's never hesitated with Winks. Time will tell I guess.

Back
Top Bottom