Joshua Onomah

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think if you're coming off on 75 mins, 2 goals ahead in a knockout tournament it's because they're resting you for the next round

I dunno. Last chance saloon sounds harsh on a 20 year old

No one would say U20 directly translates to Premier League. Obviously there's a huge step up in talent, speed, skill and strength.

But, would you rather Onomah be a passenger for the U20s or be a stand-out? I'd say we'd all pick the latter.

Don't think it's last chance. His qualities are well known, not just at Spurs but at every club around the country. He is one of the best players in this England squad. It's all about transferring it on the big stage, for me this is what's in your head. Playing in front of 30k is different to playing in front of 2k.

Like others, I think it's too early for talk of last chances. Hes very young still, younger than Winks.

Wouldnt be surprised to see him go on loan to a decent championship or mid table PL team. 30-40 matches in front of big crowds, where the result really matters to your older team mates.

And agree also with the comment re CCV v Wycombe. Looked out of sorts.

Yeah 20 is nothing....seems like Onomah has been around for so long that I just assumed he wasnt doing too well. Maybe its more of a sign of something special hidden there. Good luck to the kid

it's the u20s you doss cunt , what are you expecting ?

Based on what a lot of people are saying on the internet, people are expecting to see him next season if Walker leaves.

So I think people are expecting him to be somewhere near ready for PL - he's 20, which isn't far off the same position his (almost) namesake was in when he was impressing in the PL with Villa

You seem to be obsessed with size of players (he's a big strong lad). IMO Onomah has been far too physical when he's played in first team, trying too hard and pressing with our intelligence. Playing centrally suits him, it's where he has always played, excelling both deep as a DM or higher up as a 10. But he hasn't been muscled off the ball when played for us, his problem is he has let the game pass him by, never in the right place at the right time probably due to knowledge of the position he has been asked to play (on the right).

His ability, technically, has always been one of those players that looks to find an extra 2 seconds on the ball, makes things look easy, this hasn't been the case when he's come on, he's looked rushed. He needs to control his adrenaline, quite how you do that I have no idea.
I'm going to disagree. I don't think he is a big strong lad. He still hasn't filled out yet and become a man.
He might well fill out when he's 21 and be as big as Yaya Toure however.

Based on what a lot of people are saying on the internet, people are expecting to see him next season if Walker leaves.

So I think people are expecting him to be somewhere near ready for PL - he's 20, which isn't far off the same position his (almost) namesake was in when he was impressing in the PL with Villa

Pretty much.

People were saying, myself included, if Walker leaves we'd have Trippier as first choice with KWP as back up. Based on what I've seen, he'd be good for a Championship club. But he was played out of position, so can't really judge.

He is very good on the ball going forward though. Still needs to bulk up.

As with all youth players, I'd like them to do well, and play for us for years.

If that don't happen, then we blood them in a bit, get them recognised in the PL, and ship them on for ££'s. It's a business model that seems to be paying dividends at the moment. Our training facilities should assist this.

Halftime and another strong half from Onomah. Different game this one in that Mexico look a decent side and have seen a lot of the ball. Onomah, not on the ball as in previous games but is playing a very disciplined role in the Middle of midfield, winning all his tackles, unfortunately was shown a yellow for what looked a perfectly good tackle. Seems to be the only England player willing to receive and play the ball while under pressure from the opposition, everyone else hitting long, whilst Onomah plays and finds England shirt with short balls and there beating Mexico's committed press.

Walker-Peters, playing LB, has been steady without doing anything note worthy .

Halftime and another strong half from Onomah. Different game this one in that Mexico look a decent side and have seen a lot of the ball. Onomah, not on the ball as in previous games but is playing a very disciplined role in the Middle of midfield, winning all his tackles, unfortunately was shown a yellow for what looked a perfectly good tackle. Seems to be the only England player willing to receive and play the ball while under pressure from the opposition, everyone else hitting long, whilst Onomah plays and finds England shirt with short balls and there beating Mexico's committed press.

Walker-Peters, playing LB, has been steady without doing anything note worthy .
England have been really good in the 2nd Half, I didn't see very much of the 1st. I agree that KWP hasn't done anything to set the world on fire but he's looked very composed and assured. Made an important tackle very calmly as it looked like Mexico were breaking through the middle.

Back
Top Bottom