January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, the clubs ahead of us have all conceded fewer goals, but yes the "eye test' we haven't been as clinical as we'd like. But i'm sure most club supporters would say the same

Aside from being clinical; more generally - as I have said all season - I don't think our attacking play is clicking according to the Ange-ball doctrine yet.

Them not being able to take those risks anymore doesn't mean our capacity to take the same kind of risks has risen.

As I said to Shady it means we can take a similar amount of risks as the money clubs because we are on a similarly level footing. now at least.

And it just so happens that now we have an opportunity with Klopp leaving, and all other ground shifts going on.

Aside from being clinical; more generally - as I have said all season - I don't think our attacking play is clicking according to the Ange-ball doctrine yet.

Another good point.

Can't believe our team isn't fully clicking after 6 months with a new manager and completely new manager.

Some people, including our own fans, hate us being rich. It’s bizarre. It’s a great thing!
It's a great thing if those riches are utilised to build a trophy winning football team rather than to finance other off the field activities.
It's all about priorities. And this football club seems to have It's priorities arse about face.

Hence this

empty-rectangular-glass-display-cabinet-260nw-569169946.jpg

Coinciding with this

DFML24-Website-Graphics-v8-3.jpg

- UEFA charge (and subsequently found guilty) City of some financial irregularities.
- City found guilty.
- Punishments raised (2 year CL ban and millions in fines)
- City appeal to ECSA
- Get partial reprieve on a technicality re: time-frame offenses took place vs time of charges.
- City still have to pay some fines....... They were never outright found "not guilty".

- Meanwhile; EPL conducting it's own investigation uncover a shitload more offenses on top of the OG one's that are said til still apply under EPL time-frame guidelines.
- City do their best to obstruct the EPL at every turn and continue to do so.
- City never-the-less charged with 115 offenses (that run much deeper and wider than the OG UEFA case).
- Despite all the 'road-blocking'; City to final face an actual EPL hearing "some time before the end of next year".
You’re not entirely wrong, but it’s still a slightly ignorant summary of their UEFA case.

Essentially, UEFA’s main allegation against City was that they were concealing profits made by the club as money from their sponsorship, as opposed to money injected directly from their owner.

City refuted this and brought the case all the way to the CAS.
CAS found that although some of the more minor infractions brought by UEFA against City were time barred, they found no evidence to substantiate any of UEFA’s major allegations, namely that City were disguising revenue as sponsorship funds.

The only thing City were found guilty of by CAS was failing to co-operate with UEFA’s investigation, however, City’s rationale for this was they were refusing to co operate with an investigation that was instigated on the back of allegations stemming from stolen emails published in a German tabloid paper, Der Spiegl.

I know you have a long standing hatred of City and if they are indeed the dirty cheating bastards every fan is preying they are then hopefully the PL’s case is far more watertight, because UEFA’s was proven to be very flawed.

They were found guilty by uefa. Thrown out of europe for 2 yrs. it was only CAS who turned some of it over . Time barred. But still had the fine. So not exactly not guilty.
My only worry is that the government get involved, like they did with the Saudis.
That’s not exactly what happened though.

There was found to be no evidence to substantiate any of UEFA’s major claims by CAS.

I don’t think anyone has any idea what exactly the PL’s case entails, but one would hope it is far more water tight than UEFA’s.

As I said to Shady it means we can take a similar amount of risks as the money clubs because we are on a similarly level footing. now at least.

And it just so happens that now we have an opportunity with Klopp leaving, and all other ground shifts going on.

Not quite.

Last season we were in CL so I'd expect us to see club record revenues when accounts to 30 June 2023 are published in the next month or so - and that would put us above Woolwich and Chelsea which is excellent news, but still behind both Mans clubs and Liverpool

But we are not in CL this season so when accounts to June 2024 are published, we will have circa £100m less than this year and back far closer to Woolwich and Chelsea

So we need a couple of years in CL to accumulate some wealth.

We have a very decent first team in place and a number of players capable of being squad players but we'd all agree that we can improve on a number of players in the squad (not necessarily where to improve) and we'll improve again in summer 2024, but we will still want another summer of two to upgrade the squad - and obviously the more wealth we have accumulated, the more can go into the squad. And whilst spending big does NOT guarantee success, being able to spend is a great help in signing up the next players that we want/need.

Although we'll certainly find the usual suspects saying - oooh we are rich, why aren't we signing Osimenh for £150m and why not just spend big on every player. Usually they have never been allowed outside their mothers basement for their own good !

Back
Top Bottom