January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair enough we are yet to see full details of the FA’s case, but UEFA literally brought them to the highest judicial sporting court in the land, who found that there was no evidence to support the vast majority of UEFA’s charges.
What more could Uefa have done?

That's not at all what happened.

As opposed to what, holding a gun to his head? For the millionth time, players have agency, they do get a say in where they are going, it was true for Dragusin and it's true for Nusa. Players are not just an inanimate commodity to be picked up and purchased, their opinions and feelings about a transfer are not just relevant, they are absolutely crucial to the final outcome.

Dragusin considered the options and decided Spurs was better for him, likely to get some playing time. Nusa considered the options and decided Brentford was better for him, being younger and unlikely to get much playing time at Spurs. There is nothing sinister, nothing dawdling, nothing unduly penny-pinching, nothing 'missed opportunity' about it, and anyone claiming otherwise is clearly just making stuff up to push an agenda (which is pretty sad for supposed 'fans' given that we're the only club which has done any proper business so far this window).
What makes me laugh is that an 18 year old "opportunity" is now the vehicle being used to push the narrative.

The forum got quite settled, with the expectation that our business was done, and that if we did any further business, it would just be for these opportunities.

Now a kid that 90% of the board had never heard of, and 99% had never seen play, is being treated as the second coming of Christ!

POK is a pretty reliable source. He said we made a phone call, and that's it. I can just imagine that call;

TH: "Just calling to enquire about young Nusa, what are you asking?"

CB: "£30M"

TH: "Righto, thanks. Goodbye." Click. "Right chaps, move on to the next one."

I think we still need to bring in a top midfielder when (not if) PEH leaves. He’s a real trier and top pro, but it’s painfully obvious he’s just not suited to the high octane game we play, and its clear Ange is aware of this.

I also agree that we need to bring in a top top attacker, be that a top winger with a goal scoring threat or a new striker.

We don’t need another cheap stopgap like Werner or a young punt, we need to bring in someone of proven quality. Without Son we’re just far too toothless up front. (I mean it surprises me that some Spurs fans seem confused by this considering we lost the best striker in the world last summer and didn’t replace him but hey, here we are)

Sarr, Bissouma, Maddison, Sarr, Bentencaur...midfield is fine for now.

The attack is a far bigger issue....I am tired of this club signing, timos, johnsons, Richarlisons, Kulus...etc.

The attack is a far bigger issue....I am tired of this club signing, timos, johnsons, Richarlisons, Kulus...etc.

Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

He's only made 10 appearances this season. He doesn't seem an Emery favourite.
Injured. He was best player in Englands team at under 21 euros in the summer until he got injured.
Really good player. They may be another club with ffp difficulties, or psl as it’s now called
I think the press glibly quoting 50m prices for any half decent player is a bit ridiculous.
Will be interesting to see what the prices are like in the summer.

What’s the major change in transfer policy? Genuine question? What are we doing now that we have never done before in the ENIC regime?
Well, we certainly seem to have changed how we identify players for a start, and consequently players like Sarr, Udogie etc have come in and been very successful.

Then there is the myth that we never spend money. There was of course a period during the stadium build when we didn't spend much, but that's definitely changed in the last few years with pretty big money being spent.

We've also taken opportunites in more difficult periods - for example, bringing in Bentancur and Kulu in a January window, something that would have been unlikely a couple of years before that.

Generally it seems Paratici's involvement has been a massive plus too.

Honestly mate, there has been plenty to dig out ENIC / Levy for over the years, but anyone peddling the narrative that over the last couple of years we have got worse in terms of transfer policy, surely that's just ostensibly nonsense, well for me anyway - I guess others are welcome to take an opposite view, but when comparing to a few years ago, I can't understand how anyone can't think that part of our operation has improved, unless of course they expect every single signing to be a success, which is just not realistic for any club.

Nunez is shit for the price they paid. But they can’t say that, can they?

They’re just playing him now because they have no other choice. I’m not Richy’s biggest fan by a long way but I’d rather have him than Nunez….although in an ideal world I’d have neither. I must have watched Nunez nearly 15/20 times and I just don’t see a £85m player and definitely not one that’s going to improve into one. Nowhere near. Diaz is better for them.
The acid test for a top striker is if they are through on goal would you back them to score.
Kane, Son, Salah, Owen, Fowler, Shearer, Haaland……all yes.
Nunez….I think not, too long to think about it.
I think he’s got same amount of prem lge goals as Richy. Never mind scoring v Norwich and Europa League dead legs.

You make it sound like they're all signings of the same ilk when in truth each one is a signing of a different nature to the next. It's just a list of players that you don't happen to rate.

I do think at some point when the players have fully adapted to the roles, the squad has depth which it does now to a degree we will need to take the plunge. Our defense is magnificent, our midfield when it is finally available should be fine to compete with anyone but with Kane gone and Son getting on a bit the extra bit of quality will be needed.

As fans we have to get over Ndombele, we spent badly on big signings in the past but that is us, other clubs like Liverpool have shown the big money signing is the one to break the glass ceiling be it Van Dijk or Alisson. Heck even overpriced Darwin Nunez has been leading the Liverpool title charge. There will come a moment and it will probably be this summer when the club has to make a call, at least this time it can make a call with Lange & Paratici and not Steve Hitchen. For depth we probably only need 1 more midfielder, a Gallagher or a Emerson.

We have done the right thing up to now, getting youth and building depth with the likes of Udogie, Sarr, Porro, Solomon etc. The next step once the squad is filled out is the elite game changer/s, that is probably the hardest step.
Nabi Keita 50m signing. Bit of a flop really. Injured more often than not. Liverpool don’t always get it right.
Cannot criticise him though. Not allowed to criticise scouse clubs.

When considering a long-term successor to Son, it's worth noting that Mikey Moore excels when playing on the left-hand side. Despite being only 16 at the moment, his potential is remarkable. I believe he could see first-team minutes next season in some capacity, given his rapid development. If he continues progressing at his current rate, I personally think his potential as a player surpasses that of Nusa.

Well, we certainly seem to have changed how we identify players for a start, and consequently players like Sarr, Udogie etc have come in and been very successful.

Then there is the myth that we never spend money. There was of course a period during the stadium build when we didn't spend much, but that's definitely changed in the last few years with pretty big money being spent.

We've also taken opportunites in more difficult periods - for example, bringing in Bentancur and Kulu in a January window, something that would have been unlikely a couple of years before that.

Generally it seems Paratici's involvement has been a massive plus too.

Honestly mate, there has been plenty to dig out ENIC / Levy for over the years, but anyone peddling the narrative that over the last couple of years we have got worse in terms of transfer policy, surely that's just ostensibly nonsense, well for me anyway - I guess others are welcome to take an opposite view, but when comparing to a few years ago, I can't understand how anyone can't think that part of our operation has improved, unless of course they expect every single signing to be a success, which is just not realistic for any club.

Thanks. I'd actually go further.

We made a club record signing (£42m in 2016) during stadium build time - Davidson Sanchez, its just that whilst Poch used him a lot in his first season he was then dropped, and because Poch did not rotate players, he was used sparingly and I suspect lost confidence, certainly form really dropped over the years. A number of other signings too at prices which should have got us decent players (eg Moura at £27m) but those 2 signings are about the only ones who made much impact for more than one season - and neither would I regard as an automatic first team starter. In short quite a lot of money spent in total - but sadly recruitment was poor and money generally wasted. Poch used players who had joined before he started or recruited within 12 months of him joining (Son, Alderweireld, dele) - pretty much no one after that.

So we are spending more in last couple of years - but its being spent far more wisely eg Van de Venn didn't cost much more (including add ons) than Sanchez, but we bought a far better player

Fair enough we are yet to see full details of the FA’s case, but UEFA literally brought them to the highest judicial sporting court in the land, who found that there was no evidence to support the vast majority of UEFA’s charges.
What more could Uefa have done?
They were found guilty by uefa. Thrown out of europe for 2 yrs. it was only CAS who turned some of it over . Time barred. But still had the fine. So not exactly not guilty.
My only worry is that the government get involved, like they did with the Saudis.

When considering a long-term successor to Son, it's worth noting that Mikey Moore excels when playing on the left-hand side. Despite being only 16 at the moment, his potential is remarkable. I believe he could see first-team minutes next season in some capacity, given his rapid development. If he continues progressing at his current rate, I personally think his potential as a player surpasses that of Nusa.
Thanks Trix!!!

Enlighten me then?

- UEFA charge City of some financial irregularities.
- City found guilty.
- Punishments raised (2 year CL ban and millions in fines)
- City appeal to ECSA
- Get partial reprieve on a technicality re: time-frame offenses took place vs time of charges.
- City still have to pay some fines....... They were never outright found "not guilty".

- Meanwhile; EPL conducting it's own investigation uncover a shitload more offenses on top of the OG one's that are said til still apply under EPL time-frame guidelines.
- City do their best to obstruct the EPL at every turn and continue to do so.
- City never-the-less charged with 115 offenses (that run much deeper and wider than the OG UEFA case).
- Despite all the 'road-blocking'; City to finally face an actual EPL hearing "some time before the end of next year".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom