January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thing is, if you break the structure because the player you want is outside it, nobody in the fan base can argue that you went hard as a club and showed ambition.

That's just the reality of elite-level football now. Maybe we can do a Napoli but the club wants to build towards sustained success. Like it or not those clubs are almost exclusively amongst the biggest spenders for transfer fees and wages.

Of course not but those same fans don't want to know when the transfer doesn't work out we cannot simply just write them off and lose money on them unlike the money teams. This is the problem fans want things one way but won't accept what could happen if said transfer doesn't work ala Ndombele.

Mate, that’s 10 Goals and 10 Assists…

Nunez is a fantastic player. All the right attributes. If we had him instead of Richarlison (who is doing better) or Johnson (who hopefully) just needs time, we would likely be top at present.

People who don't rate Nunez don't really know their football or are too biased to accept the facts.

Last edited:
And to be honest why would you want to enter a bidding war for a player? It's nonsensical if all it's going to do is push the price up, way above what the club value them at.

If you want them badly enough and you are extremely confident they help you win things.

I don't see how anyone can be sure Nusa is that player but then again, history is full of C. Ronaldo type stories where scouts or managers have had that level of conviction for a player and it's worked out. we clearly didn't have that conviction for Nusa. Let's see.

Unfortunately, Tanguy was probably the last player we paid more than we wanted for and it didn't work out well at all.

In all comps.

7 and 6 in the prem from 20 games.

It's decent but not 100m decent.
Imagine us, with one more “decent” player like him…

He’s erratic, but seems to have calmed with no Salah being around, no coincidence (like Ronaldo at Utd) Liverpools play was way too often “where’s Salah”. Now seemingly much more fluid and non-predictable.

Nunez is a famtastic player. All the right attributes. If we had him instead of Richarlison (who is doing better) or Johnson (who hopefully) just needs time, we would likely be top at present.

People who don't rate Nunez don't really know their football or are too biased to accept the facts.

LOL

Just LOL.

He has 7 goals and 6 assists in 20 Prem games. That doesn't get you top. Maddison and our CB's staying fit might have.

Imagine us, with one more “decent” player like him…

He’s erratic, but seems to have calmed with no Salah being around, no coincidence (like Ronaldo at Utd) Liverpools play was way too often “where’s Salah”.

either he's calmed down or he's scored a couple of shots that took him above his average and he returns to the mean soon. Darwin isn't new to the prem, he might score again and go on a run and he might also miss a few great chances in their next game.

The latter is what he's done for the first 50 games of his Liverpool career. He's had 1 prolific season so far in his career. Maybe he has another one, maybe he doesn't.

If you want them badly enough and you are extremely confident they help you win things.

I don't see how anyone can be sure Nusa is that player but then again, history is full of C. Ronaldo type stories where scouts or managers have had that level of conviction for a player and it's worked out. we clearly didn't have that conviction for Nusa. Let's see.

Unfortunately, Tanguy was probably the last player we paid more than we wanted for and it didn't work out well at all.

All those clubs I mentioned all has succession plans and they benefitted from it, if we are doing things correctly then we should be doing the same thing not wasting time and going all out on one target.

Milan, Napoli and Man Utd were all linked with Dragusin....

The notion we got some free run at him is quite frankly ludicrous.

And if you're not willing to accept Dragusin as an example. I'll throw our other January signing Werner in there, who Man Utd were also after.

Not enough? We can go back to the summer where Newcastle were after Maddison?

It's just lazy posting by a member of this forum who hasn't got a clue and will just make up scenarios and nonsense in his head and use this forum as a platform to spout it.

The reason we didn't get Nusa wasn't because we didn't have a free run at him. We didn't get Nusa because we either deemed it was too expensive to spend 30m+ on an unproven teenager or we couldn't offer him the game time we wanted.
A club being interested is one thing, actually making an offer and getting involved with bidding is a completely different matter.

Not saying you’re entirely wrong, just saying completely dismissing the original posters theory and putting it down to “made up scenarios” and “nonsense” is certainly not correct either.

You have to wonder though, how long can the hardcore anti-Levy protagonists, given the very obvious major change in transfer policy in the last couple of years, carry on attacking the regime... See, we can both do that. ;)
What’s the major change in transfer policy? Genuine question? What are we doing now that we have never done before in the ENIC regime?

You don't see it mate. No issue.

Nunez is excellent.

You said if we had him instead of Richy we'd be top.

Nunez

7 g 6 a in 1200 mins

Richy

7g 3a in 1000 mins

You will have to tell me how I'm not seeing this miracle footballing genius of Darwin that makes those 3 assists a 9 point swing to have us top. Especially when Richy has had less chances to get those 7g and 3a. Also done it without Maddison behind him.

A lot of people saying we should sell Richarlison in the summer as under performing :

View: https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1751862742989115748?s=20

Liverpool obviously haven't looked at Richarlison's 7 goals and 3 assists this season - or cannot do simple sums ......

Nunez is shit for the price they paid. But they can’t say that, can they?

They’re just playing him now because they have no other choice. I’m not Richy’s biggest fan by a long way but I’d rather have him than Nunez….although in an ideal world I’d have neither. I must have watched Nunez nearly 15/20 times and I just don’t see a £85m player and definitely not one that’s going to improve into one. Nowhere near. Diaz is better for them.

Last edited:
Well tbf, the signing of Dragusin stands up to his original post/theory in most respects?

We moved for Dragusin because he was available at a very affordable price and at the time, there was no one else in for him.
Bayern came in at quite literally the eleventh hour and, thankfully, Dragusin appears a very honourable individual who had given his word to us, and stuck to it.

But had he had a character of say Mr Willian for arguments sakes, I have absolutely no doubt we would have lost him to Bayern.

The dillying, dallying and posturing we did for a 25 million deal in a position of absolutely desperate need was risky to say the very least, and could so so easily have cost us.

The person who's opinion you're defending doesn't think we particularly needed that new CB in this window.

Yeh..... Nuts.....

......Though more likely just peak revisionist bullshit.

A club being interested is one thing, actually making an offer and getting involved with bidding is a completely different matter.

Not saying you’re entirely wrong, just saying completely dismissing the original posters theory and putting it down to “made up scenarios” and “nonsense” is certainly not correct either.

If another team is interested then it isn't a free run.

I dismissed the original posters theory because it was made up bollocks. Nothing more, nothing less.

Back
Top Bottom