January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Show me the trophies.

Bored GIF
You can build a picture of who is in the Levy camp just by looking at those that disagree with posts like this.

Profit and sustainability above Glory
New club moto

Richard Arlison Richard Arlison I guess what you're looking for is our Van Dijk/Allison/Rice transfer is that right?

I guess time will tell where we go all out and spend the money who we know who will take us up a level, I think the club would be more willing to do something like that nowadays because I think Levy has more trust in Ange and we have a recruitment team who are getting things right now which means the money won't be wasted. I just don't see that at the moment because there's no obvious player on the market that will do that.
The thing is Liverpool had a shit keeper and needed a centre back to compete , man for man first 11 the only person I’m worried about currently is Son due to his age we should already have a succession plan lined up , the rest is just squad depth starting with a Maddison rotation - even if you call this season a one off with injuries we are very likely to be playing European football next season so we need more depth to compete.

Come on, it was clear that they were more obvious upgrades on Lovren and Karius.

If you look at our squad it's lacking in the forward areas, can you think of obvious upgrades who will definitely transform our team who play on the left and the right? Even Oliseh at the moment I wouldn't call someone like that.

The only player for me who moves the needle would be someone like Eze and even then I don't think we actually need him to transform our midfield.

Obvious upgrades on Lovren and Karius didn't take much. I don't remember think that Van Dijk was going to be one of the most dominant CBs of his generation and I had no fucking clue who Allsion was.

I will say that Van de Ven already impresses more than Van Dijk did in his first Lierpool season though and Vicario can definitely reach Allisson levels.

It's definitely in the forward spots they need to find a game changer and in the Ange system that probably has to be a wide forward. I'm with you on Olise but Eze is similar imo. I really like both but they aren't game changers.

What they need to find is a player in the WF spots who can decide games on their own and impact games even when they don't because defenders need to be aware of them at all times. In form that is a Leao/Kvara type. Can we find one that is just about to explode that you and me don't think is obvious right now? Well, that's why Lange gets paid 6 figures and watches football for a living.

I do think at some point when the players have fully adapted to the roles, the squad has depth which it does now to a degree we will need to take the plunge. Our defense is magnificent, our midfield when it is finally available should be fine to compete with anyone but with Kane gone and Son getting on a bit the extra bit of quality will be needed.

As fans we have to get over Ndombele, we spent badly on big signings in the past but that is us, other clubs like Liverpool have shown the big money signing is the one to break the glass ceiling be it Van Dijk or Alisson. Heck even overpriced Darwin Nunez has been leading the Liverpool title charge. There will come a moment and it will probably be this summer when the club has to make a call, at least this time it can make a call with Lange & Paratici and not Steve Hitchen. For depth we probably only need 1 more midfielder, a Gallagher or a Emerson.

We have done the right thing up to now, getting youth and building depth with the likes of Udogie, Sarr, Porro, Solomon etc. The next step once the squad is filled out is the elite game changer/s, that is probably the hardest step.

Lange, Paratici, Munn, Ange all seem worth the trust. They will need the budget and trust to get that Gamechanger. Ultimately that trust only comes from one source. Stadium is built, the pieces are in place, we have to hope it happens this time.

Obvious upgrades on Lovren and Karius didn't take much. I don't remember think that Van Dijk was going to be one of the most dominant CBs of his generation and I had no fucking clue who Allsion was.

I will say that Van de Ven already impresses more than Van Dijk did in his first Lierpool season though and Vicario can definitely reach Allisson levels.

It's definitely in the forward spots they need to find a game changer and in the Ange system that probably has to be a wide forward. I'm with you on Olise but Eze is similar imo. I really like both but they aren't game changers.

What they need to find is a player in the WF spots who can decide games on their own and impact games even when they don't because defenders need to be aware of them at all times. In form that is a Leao/Kvara type. Can we find one that is just about to explode that you and me don't think is obvious right now? Well, that's why Lange gets paid 6 figures and watches football for a living.
I think we are probably also looking for someone a bit like Timo who can play anywhere across the front 3.

I honestly think that this perception would have been different had we spent £150m on Vicario and Van Der Ven.

I honestly think that this perception would have been different had we spent £150m on Vicario and Van Der Ven.

For sure.

I don't give a shit if they find that gamechanger forward for 17m or 170m.

Marketing department at the Premier League would prefer that their big clubs sign marquee players though and football is a business. Anyway, that's a different topic for a different day.

Yeah, just like the last signing we made 😂😂😂😂

The stuff some of you lot come out with.
Well tbf, the signing of Dragusin stands up to his original post/theory in most respects?

We moved for Dragusin because he was available at a very affordable price and at the time, there was no one else in for him.
Bayern came in at quite literally the eleventh hour and, thankfully, Dragusin appears a very honourable individual who had given his word to us, and stuck to it.

But had he had a character of say Mr Willian for arguments sakes, I have absolutely no doubt we would have lost him to Bayern.

The dillying, dallying and posturing we did for a 25 million deal in a position of absolutely desperate need was risky to say the very least, and could so so easily have cost us.

For sure.

I don't give a shit if they find that gamechanger forward for 17m or 170m.

Marketing department at the Premier League would prefer that their big clubs sign marquee players though and football is a business. Anyway, that's a different topic for a different day.

You don't, the fanbase definitely would - it would signal 'ambition' in their mind and make it look like we are a big club because we are splashing cash, you watch the whole entire narrative of the fanbase shift if once we spend big money on a player who may or may not necessarily be worth the money.

EVERYTHING stinks about ManC!

They should be stripped of every title they have won since the takeover!

But for that to happen you need an F.A. and UEFA with at least the tiniest of balls and some morals!

None of which they seem to have!
Fair enough we are yet to see full details of the FA’s case, but UEFA literally brought them to the highest judicial sporting court in the land, who found that there was no evidence to support the vast majority of UEFA’s charges.
What more could Uefa have done?

A lot of people saying we should sell Richarlison in the summer as under performing :

View: https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1751862742989115748?s=20

Liverpool obviously haven't looked at Richarlison's 7 goals and 3 assists this season - or cannot do simple sums ......

Darwin in the prem:

7 goals 6 assists - 1200 mins (20 games)

Richy in the prem:

7 goals 3 assists - 1000 mins (18 games)

They aren't far off each other at all. Richy is clearly a much more clinical finisher now he's healthy, Darwin is the more chaotic (apparently that's a good thing now).

Well tbf, the signing of Dragusin stands up to his original post/theory in most respects?

We moved for Dragusin because he was available at a very affordable price and at the time, there was no one else in for him.
Bayern came in at quite literally the eleventh hour and, thankfully, Dragusin appears a very honourable individual who had given his word to us, and stuck to it.

But had he had a character of say Mr Willian for arguments sakes, I have absolutely no doubt we would have lost him to Bayern.

The dillying, dallying and posturing we did for a 25 million deal in a position of absolutely desperate need was risky to say the very least, and could so so easily have cost us.

Milan, Napoli and Man Utd were all linked with Dragusin....

The notion we got some free run at him is quite frankly ludicrous.

And if you're not willing to accept Dragusin as an example. I'll throw our other January signing Werner in there, who Man Utd were also after.

Not enough? We can go back to the summer where Newcastle were after Maddison?

It's just lazy posting by a member of this forum who hasn't got a clue and will just make up scenarios and nonsense in his head and use this forum as a platform to spout it.

The reason we didn't get Nusa wasn't because we didn't have a free run at him. We didn't get Nusa because we either deemed it was too expensive to spend 30m+ on an unproven teenager or we couldn't offer him the game time we wanted.

You don't, the fanbase definitely would - it would signal 'ambition' in their mind and make it look like we are a big club because we are splashing cash, you watch the whole entire narrative of the fanbase shift if once we spend big money on a player who may or may not necessarily be worth the money.

Thing is, if you break the structure because the player you want is outside it, nobody in the fan base can argue that you went hard as a club and showed ambition.

That's just the reality of elite-level football now. Maybe we can do a Napoli but the club wants to build towards sustained success. Like it or not those clubs are almost exclusively amongst the biggest spenders for transfer fees and wages.

Milan, Napoli and Man Utd were all linked with Dragusin....

The notion we got some free run at him is quite frankly ludicrous.

And if you're not willing to accept Dragusin as an example. I'll throw our other January signing Werner in there, who Man Utd were also after.

Not enough? We can go back to the summer where Newcastle were after Maddison?

And to be honest why would you want to enter a bidding war for a player? It's nonsensical if all it's going to do is push the price up, way above what the club value them at.

This is how most teams operate by the way not just Spurs but for some reason fans are unable to see through the myopic lens of their own club, for example City stepped away from Van Dijk, Jorginho, Cucurela and Maguire. Woolwich stepped away from Mudryk, Liverpool stepped away from Bellingham and Caicedo etc...

Utd are the only club who don't walk away from deals which is why they end up paying dumb prices for their players, same as Chelsea recently.

Once again moaning at a transfer strategy when we are a handful of only clubs who have done things correctly according to the rules and can actually spend money this window is just typical fan woe is us crap.

Back
Top Bottom