January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Did not address any areas of need … RB, DM, striker
2. United got Bruno Fernandez who we had been linked to before, and a back up striker
3. Our countless loan outs show just how poor our academy is .. While Chelsea, United, Liverpool and Woolwich bring many young kids successfully into the first team, our kids are only good enough for loans to lower league clubs where they invariably get few if any minutes. Yes I know Tanganga but the other clubs have exciting creative attacking players. We have Troy who would get minutes with the other clubs I mentioned but not under Mou where we need a back up striker.
4. Levy even screwed getting rid of Wanyama by being too smart for his own good.

2. United got Bruno Fernandez who we had been linked to before, and a back up striker
3. Our countless loan outs show just how poor our academy is .. While Chelsea, United, Liverpool and Woolwich bring many young kids successfully into the first team, our kids are only good enough for loans to lower league clubs where they invariably get few if any minutes. Yes I know Tanganga but the other clubs have exciting creative attacking players. We have Troy who would get minutes with the other clubs I mentioned but not under Mou where we need a back up striker.
4. Levy even screwed getting rid of Wanyama by being too smart for his own good.

1. RB was hardly a position of need.

2. That's United and they very nearly fucked that up.

3. It shows how poor the academy had been run under Pochettino really. Players careers going down the absolute pan because Poch didn't like good young players actually playing football.

4. Wanyama has previous for rejecting other clubs offers after we've tried to fuck him off. Who cares? He's done at the top level. Would be amazed if he had a decent career at mid level.

Transfer Window was a real mix.

Negatives
1. Not getting a striker.
But looking at ManU scrambling around prepared to throw big money at any striker, and in the last hour of the Transfer Window sign ex Watford striker Odion Ighalo on big money , with Chelsea again with a big war chest failing to sign anyone despite having spent £ms to get out of a transfer ban and other clubs equally not signing a striker of any quality, it becomes clear not signing a striker was not necessarily a bad option given the options available - and using Son, Bergwijn, Lo Celso and Dele for example as a forward line is probably a higher quality option.. And signing a poor quality striker on a permanent deal would only mean a problem to offload them later. Real problem goes back several transfer windows in signing the likes of Janssen and Llorente but never making these options work.

2 Not signing DM, RB, LB. Never realistic to believe we were going to sign say 5 players in January, quality players are simply not available. Sheffield United took a punt on Berge after lots of clubs had looked at him for a year without buying. Be interesting to see whether Sheffield United or lots of other clubs including Spurs were right not to push to sign Berge. Meanwhile the emergence of Tanganga probably meant Mourhino was happy to use the CB as a FB alongside Aurier, Davies and Sessegnon (and even Vertonghen).

3 Wanyama not being moved on. Unfortunately we cant force him to move and he's turned down several decent (for him) moves to other clubs in the past. 18 months left on his contract, we might have to buy him out as his agent has touted him all through Europe without finding a taker.

Positives
1 Berwijn looks on paper (you tube and references from Dutch players) to be a steal and at age 22 to be a great find for the next decade with pace, technique and a good goal/assist record. In effect replaces Eriksen place as an AM in Spurs squad.

2 Gedson Fernandes is an interesting midfielder on an 18 month loan with option to buy. Great way to see if we want to sign him later - looks like he'll be an option to play the defensive man in CM without being a DM alongside Ndombele and/or Winks

3 Making Gio Lo Celso permanent by paying the option fee. Must be a great boost for the lad to be made aware that he's here permanently - and his performances are starting to become consistently excellent, a worthy replacement to Eriksen

4 Eriksen must have started to become an unsettling player in the dressing room with his refusal to commit to Spurs. Shame after 5 years or so of excellent performances, goals and assists to see his performances going downhill. I'm grateful for the good times but time he moved n.

5 Rose will probably be remembered for his great debut goal v Woolwich. But after that and a couple of very good seasons at LB alongside Walker as RB, its his decision to bad mouth everyone at Spurs on the eve of 2017/18 season (not punished at the time) and his attempt to suggest disharmony amongst players making his staying a toxic atmosphere. Glad he's gone up norf to Newcastle, hopefully they make the deal permanent in the summer.

6. Lots of loans out of youngsters some for development some will not come back. Diametric change of Poch ruining kids by keeping them in house and not playing football. Ironically that would work in some countries where they allow B leagues and clubs - but in UK its just been a disaster.

Would have loved a new decent quality striker (recognising how almost impossible that was) but other than that, a lot of positives.

We did better than lots of other clubs including Chelsea and Man U for example

Bollocks..... Until this season (which was no choice during to trf ban), the cunts were notorious for loaning everyone out and having no path into the seniors.

As for Liverpool, apart from TAA name me the last youth player to make it there?

Transfer Window was a real mix.

Negatives
1. Not getting a striker.
But looking at ManU scrambling around prepared to throw big money at any striker, and in the last hour of the Transfer Window sign ex Watford striker Odion Ighalo on big money , with Chelsea again with a big war chest failing to sign anyone despite having spent £ms to get out of a transfer ban and other clubs equally not signing a striker of any quality, it becomes clear not signing a striker was not necessarily a bad option given the options available - and using Son, Bergwijn, Lo Celso and Dele for example as a forward line is probably a higher quality option.. And signing a poor quality striker on a permanent deal would only mean a problem to offload them later. Real problem goes back several transfer windows in signing the likes of Janssen and Llorente but never making these options work.

2 Not signing DM, RB, LB. Never realistic to believe we were going to sign say 5 players in January, quality players are simply not available. Sheffield United took a punt on Berge after lots of clubs had looked at him for a year without buying. Be interesting to see whether Sheffield United or lots of other clubs including Spurs were right not to push to sign Berge. Meanwhile the emergence of Tanganga probably meant Mourhino was happy to use the CB as a FB alongside Aurier, Davies and Sessegnon (and even Vertonghen).

3 Wanyama not being moved on. Unfortunately we cant force him to move and he's turned down several decent (for him) moves to other clubs in the past. 18 months left on his contract, we might have to buy him out as his agent has touted him all through Europe without finding a taker.

Positives
1 Berwijn looks on paper (you tube and references from Dutch players) to be a steal and at age 22 to be a great find for the next decade with pace, technique and a good goal/assist record. In effect replaces Eriksen place as an AM in Spurs squad.

2 Gedson Fernandes is an interesting midfielder on an 18 month loan with option to buy. Great way to see if we want to sign him later - looks like he'll be an option to play the defensive man in CM without being a DM alongside Ndombele and/or Winks

3 Making Gio Lo Celso permanent by paying the option fee. Must be a great boost for the lad to be made aware that he's here permanently - and his performances are starting to become consistently excellent, a worthy replacement to Eriksen

4 Eriksen must have started to become an unsettling player in the dressing room with his refusal to commit to Spurs. Shame after 5 years or so of excellent performances, goals and assists to see his performances going downhill. I'm grateful for the good times but time he moved n.

5 Rose will probably be remembered for his great debut goal v Woolwich. But after that and a couple of very good seasons at LB alongside Walker as RB, its his decision to bad mouth everyone at Spurs on the eve of 2017/18 season (not punished at the time) and his attempt to suggest disharmony amongst players making his staying a toxic atmosphere. Glad he's gone up norf to Newcastle, hopefully they make the deal permanent in the summer.

6. Lots of loans out of youngsters some for development some will not come back. Diametric change of Poch ruining kids by keeping them in house and not playing football. Ironically that would work in some countries where they allow B leagues and clubs - but in UK its just been a disaster.

Would have loved a new decent quality striker (recognising how almost impossible that was) but other than that, a lot of positives.

We did better than lots of other clubs including Chelsea and Man U for example

Agree with most of that, but that’s a bit harsh on Rose. He had a couple of great seasons, and deservedly became an England regular. I didn’t like his attitude, but for a while he was a real asset.

As for getting a striker, I find it hard to believe that there wasn’t someone available on a free or 6 month loan out there.

So no BC you never said those explicit words to me but your actions/posts did exhibit such.

So you were just making that up then.

I was never constantly calling for Carroll either.

There were a lot of games when we were 3/4/5-0 up and I was calling for Onomah to be given some minutes. Maybe you are confusing that.

But that’s still not me claiming we need to bring Onomah on to save the universe, just to give the kid some risk free minutes.

And making a point often does involve hyperbole and exaggeration with no disingenuousness involved. No strawman either...he's champo just like the rest of them that get the body shape right, look good on the training ground, and send the balls sideways and backwards. And if memory serves you were never behind his being let go either...there was still a chance in your mind that if given just a little bit more time...Champo.

But it doesn’t have to involve outright bullshit or complete misrepresentation of what the other person had actually said.

I was all for selling Carroll.

I never hear you complaining that we don't give Alfie Whiteman some minutes? Why? Because you have no expectation of him seeing the field. but with these others your expecting the next Harry Kane. Or should I point you to your Onomah posts?

By all means point me to a post where I say Onomah next Harry Kane.

See, this is the type of disingenuous straw man bullshit cliche you keep trotting out. I Didn’t ever claim Onomah is or is guaranteed to ever be world class. And this type of nonsense gets really fucking boring.

All I’ve ever said is that as youth players Onomah’s potential was greater than someone like Winks, and that he was never given a single minute as a CM and given 20 minutes in the actual first team (PL) in three years. During which time his development completely stalled.

You even acknowledge that I’m not championing players I don’t think can make some kind of realistic impact. (Your point re Whiteman) I didn’t want Livermore, Townsend, CcV for example anywhere near the first team.

But there have been a few players who could definitely been squad viable and been used to fulfil regular rotation remits that could have saved us millions on purchased players who have also notbeen Harry Kane.

I didn't hear you folks complaining about the 40M 'wasted' on GLC by not getting him the year before. That's really wasted as he was available and we were dealing with PSG. That's really wasted. The other shit is potentially, possibly wasted. And ultimately it's not because they are sold down to their level.

You didn’t hear me say I liked Lo Celso when he was at PSG?
Bullshit. I’ve also flagged up as many cheap Young options as anyone on here or SC.

Yes, perhaps more should have gone on loan in retrospect but I also see it as reasonable to keep the really promising players close to home to ingrain your way and to avoid bad habits. Just like I want Aouar out of Lyon because I see his growth stunted and incipient bad habits.

There’s no point keeping them close to home for three fucking years at the most vital stage of their development if you have no intention of trusting them or giving them reasonable chances to continue their development by playing. That’s not developing them that’s killing any chance of development or character/footballing growth.

And the c*nt did it at 3 clubs BC. He's c*nt BC and it's occurred everywhere he's been. You have no standing on this one BC. He's a c*nt. Hopefully he gets better but when it was his time he was a c*nt.

More bollocks. What’s the worst thing you actually know that Edwards did?

Has he done anything like go online publicly and call his manager a homo who sucks off his players?

Has he done anything like publicly cunt off his club, manager and team mates in the national tabloid press?

Tell me, what cultish things do you know Edwards did?

Bollocks..... Until this season (which was no choice during to trf ban), the cunts were notorious for loaning everyone out and having no path into the seniors.

As for Liverpool, apart from TAA name me the last youth player to make it there?
And all these Chelsea youngsters that are in the team this season - where were they playing last season? oh aye, they were on loan.

Also fun to read we didn’t get a RB, DM or striker, but still not happy that ManU got Bruno F, even though he’s none of these.

Agree with most of that, but that’s a bit harsh on Rose. He had a couple of great seasons, and deservedly became an England regular. I didn’t like his attitude, but for a while he was a real asset.

As for getting a striker, I find it hard to believe that there wasn’t someone available on a free or 6 month loan out there.

Fair comment, maybe a bit harsh on Rose, but his conduct in giving press interviews which stuck the knife into the squad and club is almost unprecedented. Difficult to give a balanced opinion, although when Poch arrived the Rose/Walker full back combo was possibly best in PL at that time,

Aside from the half dozen names mentioned in this thread 33 year old Giuseppe Rossi ( who we chased when 'arry was manager) has been without a club for a year or so and trained with ManU earlier this year....

Lots of possibilities like that but certainly not quality - and as I say the ManU solution really cannot see being beneficial. But maybe I'll be proved wrong - and equally its true most January signings don't really get to their best until following season.

My personal option might have been buying an extra AM in winger/striker Jarrod Bowen - giving us an extra HG player able to play a false 9 or winger, scores lots of goals. IMO better option than the list of crap strikers we were linked with, but certainly not ideal.

And all these Chelsea youngsters that are in the team this season - where were they playing last season? oh aye, they were on loan.

Also fun to read we didn’t get a RB, DM or striker, but still not happy that ManU got Bruno F, even though he’s none of these.

Bruno F cost an initial fee of around 55m euros (£47m) for the 25-year-old, though add-ons could increase the overall cost to 80m euros (£67.6m). Eye watering amount versus the £41m we paid for Lo Celso and slightly more for Ndombele - and not sure we'd need all three and in principle I prefer the 22 year olds to a 35 year old.

I suppose you could say the market is tight in January so not suprising we didnt have a striker signed.

But there isnt much of an excuse to not get one in the summer. Wed have been better off just extending llorente for another year
He hardly played in the last couple of years when Kane was out, so doubtful he’d have played now. Maybe Jose would have trusted him more than Poch, but his age is bound to be catching up with him.

I suppose you could say the market is tight in January so not suprising we didnt have a striker signed.

But there isnt much of an excuse to not get one in the summer. Wed have been better off just extending llorente for another year

Artem Dzyuba, Olivier Giroud, Sebastian Andersson etc all big target type strikers out of contract in the summer and a whole host of similar strikers whose contracts end 2021 to choose from. Come the summer when teams aren't scrapping for European places or to stay in their top flights we will be fine:

Take your pick of the 2020/2021 list, we will absolutely be fine securing one if we want to. Arkadiusz Milik would be the one for me.

There's the 'word' and there's the 'spirit' BC. And you know you were called for Carroll like he was the scratch for our itch.

I was calling for Onomah to be given some minutes.
You are underselling the verve with which you did it. And again, perhaps he should have 'earned' the minutes and he wouldn't have needed to be given them. Which is the point of all of this.

That's silly BC. You're taking a figure of speech literally in order to knock it back. C'mon man.

Bullshit. I’ve also flagged up as many cheap Young options as anyone on here or SC.
Honestly, no I don't remember you saying that. Honestly. The first convos as far as xfer I remember re:GLC were the CL final and his Betis time. But that doesn't mean you didn't. But again just mentioning someone like "I like this guy" doesn't deserve credit as it is not really putting your balls on the line.

But there have been a few players who could definitely been squad viable and been used to fulfil regular rotation remits that could have saved us millions on purchased players who have also notbeen Harry Kane.
Yes, we have those but surely we've heard about more than the 4 that are with us now right? I think the championing of players does them a disservice as it raises expectations of supporters leading to ultimate disappointment.

if you have no intention of trusting them or giving them reasonable chances to continue their development by playing.
But how do you know he had 'no intention' of doing it? The answer cannot be 'because he didn't' as we are talking about 'intentions'. I intended to be a billionaire but I'm not. I still 'intended' it though.

I don't know and I am not to know. Pretty sure passing stuff like that around could be cause for action against a team. But we do know that things didn't go well at Norwich right? And we sold him because of these things, right? All that matters.

And as far as the Aurier stuff PSG sold him for it too.

I was never constantly calling for Carroll either.

There were a lot of games when we were 3/4/5-0 up and I was calling for Onomah to be given some minutes. Maybe you are confusing that.

But that’s still not me claiming we need to bring Onomah on to save the universe, just to give the kid some risk free minutes.

But it doesn’t have to involve outright bullshit or complete misrepresentation of what the other person had actually said.

I was all for selling Carroll.

See, this is the type of disingenuous straw man bullshit cliche you keep trotting out. I Didn’t ever claim Onomah is or is guaranteed to ever be world class. And this type of nonsense gets really fucking boring.

All I’ve ever said is that as youth players Onomah’s potential was greater than someone like Winks, and that he was never given a single minute as a CM and given 20 minutes in the actual first team (PL) in three years. During which time his development completely stalled.

You even acknowledge that I’m not championing players I don’t think can make some kind of realistic impact. (Your point re Whiteman) I didn’t want Livermore, Townsend, CcV for example anywhere near the first team.

There’s no point keeping them close to home for three fucking years at the most vital stage of their development if you have no intention of trusting them or giving them reasonable chances to continue their development by playing. That’s not developing them that’s killing any chance of development or character/footballing growth.

Has he done anything like go online publicly and call his manager a homo who sucks off his players?

Has he done anything like publicly cunt off his club, manager and team mates in the national tabloid press?

Tell me, what cultish things do you know Edwards did?
But accordé!! Fuck my wife!

Having watched a lot of Bowen I think he's gonna find life hard in the prem. Used to being the main man, and championship football really is a lot less physical and slower then the prem. And he often goes missing against the better championship sides.

Prediction is he will be steady 5-8 goals a season player. He's not creative enough at CAM not physical enough for ST, meaning he will be on the wing cutting in and taking long range efforts all the time. Because decent fullbacks will keep him quite.
I hope you're right.
ITK said we had a deal for Bowen but JM blanked him in favour of Bergwijn.
If true then I sincerely hope JM is right.
There is also talk of cancelling VW's contract. He is odds on to be dropped from the ECL squad to accommodate SB.

I hope you're right.
ITK said we had a deal for Bowen but JM blanked him in favour of Bergwijn.
If true then I sincerely hope JM is right.

Bowen is a good player but isn’t very quick or strong, as a wide forward at elite level that is a hamper. He is a big risk signing, Bergwijn on paper is a much bigger talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom