January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except I never told you that did I. In fact I told you the reverse. My opinion of Carrol was always that he was a tidy technically proficient footballer, but he lacked the mentality to impose himself on games.
...and you called for him constantly in games where we had no control like he was the firefighter we needed to make things ok. So no BC you never said those explicit words to me but your actions/posts did exhibit such.

And making a point often does involve hyperbole and exaggeration with no disingenuousness involved. No strawman either...he's champo just like the rest of them that get the body shape right, look good on the training ground, and send the balls sideways and backwards. And if memory serves you were never behind his being let go either...there was still a chance in your mind that if given just a little bit more time...Champo.

When it comes to the disingenuous straw man bullshit, you could give sammy a run.
And that's just not true. Give credit where credit's due BC. My ratiocination is so refined I couldn't give an artist like Sammy a run for his money if I tried. I'm out here playing the notes but with Sammy it's the notes you don't hear, a true master of his craft.

I am under no illusion that it is only very few academy kids that are even worth a chance, and that even then a tiny fraction of those will prove ultimately good enough to be viable squad use, and an even smaller fraction will end up as first team regular material.
I think this is not the case and the disproportionate hue and cry from you axe-grindy fuckers pretty much backs my point. Who the fuck complains that we aren't giving chances to a kid that that they expect to be the 22nd man? No reasonable person yet we hear you guys all the time.

I never hear you complaining that we don't give Alfie Whiteman some minutes? Why? Because you have no expectation of him seeing the field. but with these others your expecting the next Harry Kane. Or should I point you to your Onomah posts?

All most of us are arguing is for a more logical and sensible approach. We are pissing away resources. We aren't a club blessed with the resources of most of our main rivals.
I didn't hear you folks complaining about the 40M 'wasted' on GLC by not getting him the year before. That's really wasted as he was available and we were dealing with PSG. That's really wasted. The other shit is potentially, possibly wasted. And ultimately it's not because they are sold down to their level.

The next test would normally be to go on loan and get regular proper football, or to be given more game time with our first team.
Yes, perhaps more should have gone on loan in retrospect but I also see it as reasonable to keep the really promising players close to home to ingrain your way and to avoid bad habits. Just like I want Aouar out of Lyon because I see his growth stunted and incipient bad habits.

all Edwards had to do was be in a bit of a teenage huff to be deemed a lost cause.
And the c*nt did it at 3 clubs BC. He's c*nt BC and it's occurred everywhere he's been. You have no standing on this one BC. He's a c*nt. Hopefully he gets better but when it was his time he was a c*nt.

Whilst brave ..., I think the enormous amount they fleeced Barca for Coutinho made it an easier strategy to action
Yes, but the success on the field made that a very reasonable sporting risk that, if not a wise financial risk initially, has turned into both sporting and financial success. It was the investing to make good, better and doing it at the right time in order to have maximum effect. Folks point out DL finally invested THIS summer but that was 2 seasons too late. We weren't good enough the Leicester year and weren't good enough the Chelsea/Conte year so investment was needed.

Yes, but the success on the field made that a very reasonable sporting risk that, if not a wise financial risk initially, has turned into both sporting and financial success. It was the investing to make good, better and doing it at the right time in order to have maximum effect. Folks point out DL finally invested THIS summer but that was 2 seasons too late. We weren't good enough the Leicester year and weren't good enough the Chelsea/Conte year so investment was needed.
Timing is important Liverpool just seem to get it exactly right from all considered aspects

Newcastle and Keegan will know about getting the timing wrong

With the up most respect. I don't think this means what you think it means. You really are comparing apples and oranges in regards muscle injuries and ankle ligament damage. Now throw in a ruptured achilles tendons and long term prognosis starts looking a lot less secure. It kills me to say this but I am very concerned Kane will increasingly offer pretty much what Glen Murray does. Height decent finish but little mobility and less pace. I assume we think Parrot is both the long and mid term solution.

I think we're saying the same thing, my point was that injuries early in you career do not necessarily mean injuries later on and Ronaldo is a reasonable example, your point which is equally valid is that repeated injuries can lead to never ending problems, Wilshere being a classic case ...

The issue is how you manage your own body, Ronaldo became a health and fitness nut, Wilshere liked a fag and a few beers ... one is a multiple Ballon d'Or winner the other is a feckin' spammer ....

Harry needs to own his career going forward, enough of the play until you drop mentality, great as that sounds in the long term it's no good. Managers will use him up and spit him out, it will come down to him to tell them when he needs a break ... this latest injury should be a huge wake up call, let's hope for his sake he hears it.

I think Harry and Parrott are our next five years ... if they share the load

But we didn't make 120m profit in those years ... we don't have a magic money tree ... sadly

Now you're just posting odd lists ... is that for your dog's amusement as well?
Not at all. My education. Just a commendation of the educational system.
As for my dog. I showed him your insulting post but he didn't take it personally so you and I should be ok. 😁

So the rest of the season mostly without a striker. Thanks Danny boy.
Enjoy the ride
full

But we didn't make 120m profit in those years ... we don't have a magic money tree ... sadly
But it didn't need 120M of investment at that time did it? It was incremental improvements in our weak positions. It was adding another MF so we had competition and cover for Dembele. It was adding a suitable second striker from a position of strength so we could rest Harry and potentially avoid those 2 long injuries. It was addressing the HG issue before the Sammy-summer so moves could be made without the excuse of no foreign slots. It was the maintainence and gradual evolution of the squad to obviate the need to 200M+ investment which is what is needed (including the 120 from this year).

So no need for a magic money tree...though Poch did deliver that with 4 successive CLs which was money supposedly not budgeted (so should have been gravy) since we were told time and time and time and agin by DL that the stadium would not affect transfers. So where's that 400 million? Sounds like a real damn money tree to me no magic needed.

But it didn't need 120M of investment at that time did it? It was incremental improvements in our weak positions. It was adding another MF so we had competition and cover for Dembele. It was adding a suitable second striker from a position of strength so we could rest Harry and potentially avoid those 2 long injuries. It was addressing the HG issue before the Sammy-summer so moves could be made without the excuse of no foreign slots. It was the maintainence and gradual evolution of the squad to obviate the need to 200M+ investment which is what is needed (including the 120 from this year).

So no need for a magic money tree...though Poch did deliver that with 4 successive CLs which was money supposedly not budgeted (so should have been gravy) since we were told time and time and time and agin by DL that the stadium would not affect transfers. So where's that 400 million? Sounds like a real damn money tree to me no magic needed.
Your wasting your time mate some people will just keep on defending the indefensible a fuck up of huge proportions, but apologists will keep on apologising.

This Amazon thing will turn out to be the worst episode in our history. There’s chasing a dollar, and there’s this. It’s scandalous to put the reputation of the club up for ridicule for money.

The game’s gone.
If the bald self serving cunt had any dignity he would pull the plug and swallow the loss - not a chance of course - greed above all.

Your wasting your time mate some people will just keep on defending the indefensible a fuck up of huge proportions, but apologists will keep on apologising.
Apparently there wasn’t a single striker available in the world who would have been an improvement on no striker at all. 3 weeks of searching proved that

Ali golds youtube round up was interesting.

He actually made a really positive defence of the squad , not sure he meant for it to be one but it made me feel positive about it.

However he said one really interesting thing which is exactly why I always question Enic.

He said that within the club it was very calm as they thing the answer to our striker solution is already with is Son. I immediately thought well Mourinho hasn't played him there so far and then he went onto say it was Mourinho was the one who wanted a target man but obviously he didnt get one.

It utterly baffles me. Why bring him in for then decide you think his judgement is incorrect and we can do with Son. Which for what it's worth if we had a different coach is agree with but we dont. Mourinho doesn't think Son is a striker so fuck knows what happens now.

I hope they're all on the same page otherwise this isnt going to last long.

He actually made a really positive defence of the squad , not sure he meant for it to be one but it made me feel positive about it.

However he said one really interesting thing which is exactly why I always question Enic.

He said that within the club it was very calm as they thing the answer to our striker solution is already with is Son. I immediately thought well Mourinho hasn't played him there so far and then he went onto say it was Mourinho was the one who wanted a target man but obviously he didnt get one.

It utterly baffles me. Why bring him in for then decide you think his judgement is incorrect and we can do with Son. Which for what it's worth if we had a different coach is agree with but we dont. Mourinho doesn't think Son is a striker so fuck knows what happens now.

Sonny can help out up top but with how we push Aurier up on the right side and Lucas seemingly not comfortable on the left maybe our hands were tied with options.

I fully expect to see Lucas on the right, Son up front and Bergwijn now on the left. I also think that Sessegnon WF is a non-starter, I think Mourinho is going to do all he can to develop his defensive skills from now until the end of the season to see if he can be the direct replacement for Rose long term with Davies being first choice for a season or so.

It’s why we need a director of football, Levy has done wonders with the business but the football side he needs to lose control, he is not a football man. We need a top football expert above the manager who looks strategically at the squad, manager, scouting, transfers and so on.

Sonny can help out up top but with how we push Aurier up on the right side and Lucas seemingly not comfortable on the left maybe our hands were tied with options.

I fully expect to see Lucas on the right, Son up front and Bergwijn now on the left. I also think that Sessegnon WF is a non-starter, I think Mourinho is going to do all he can to develop his defensive skills from now until the end of the season to see if he can be the direct replacement for Rose long term with Davies being first choice for a season or so.
I'd like to see that front three as well. I think it could be great. Maybe also dele on the right if aurier is pushed up.

But does jose agree? That's the important part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom