January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2019/20 transfer merry-go-round is over - shame it's almost better than the football ...

Spurs business seems pretty good overall, no Striker or DM but did we miss anyone decent?

ARRIVALS 19/20 - €180.50m (and another €50 for Fernandes to pay)

DEPARTURES 19/20 - €55.00m

Can you share your list of top class strikers available on a six months loan - without that information I refuse to buy any bullshit about available strikers, is that an excuse?
Never ever ever ever ever mentioned top class striker....you think Man Utd went all in on covering Rashfords injury with some worldie.....

We couldn’t find an average player to plug a gap for the rest of the season never mind top class.....Levy’s staring to worry me!!

Is Jarrod Bowen better than Steve Bergwijn?

Totally different players mate - although both might be called AM's

Bergwijn has great pace and creativity and might be a cross between Son and Eriksen - and absolutely delighted he has joined to replace (in numbers) Eriksen with a pacy creator (5 goals and 10 assists in 16 games this season). Can play as a left sided and right sided AM as well as a centre forward

Bowen has average pace but a fantastic way of scoring goals, not dissimilar to Aarjen Robben without pace, in cutting in from the right (he's a left footer) and scoring. Often played on the right but can play on left and also as a centre forward - imo better as a CF than Bergwijn as his stature is better. Playing in Championship means he is well used to physicality and intensity of PL - and an HG player so plenty of room in squad Probably top 3 in Championship for technique and goalscoring abilities.,

Would like to have signed both for different reasons - and without a striker back up to Kane maybe Bowen might have an extra edge as a potential false no 9 to alternate with Dele and Son but maybe Bergwijn will start more games as an AM ?

Tough choice imo.

Glad we have Benwijn. Disappointed we didn't get Bowen if we didn't sign another striker.

Last edited:
I really like this "loan player out" regime that had started instead of the Poch, they will develop more if they train with me and don't play games, tactics.
Yeah, that old way was preventing these kids from reaching their potential in the PL. Now they have to go play in the Champo with all the other English kids from all the other academies instead of the PL which is littered with English players that were presumably loaned early.

Yeah, that old way was preventing these kids from reaching their potential in the PL. Now they have to go play in the Champo with all the other English kids from all the other academies instead of the PL which is littered with English players that were presumably loaned early.

That old way was preventing kids from reaching their potential, whatever that was.

Not playing any competitive football for 3 years while Poch gives you lessons in wholesome morality tends to do that.

Totally different players mate - although both might be called AM's

Bergwijn has great pace and creativity and might be a cross between Son and Eriksen - and absolutely delighted he has joined to replace (in numbers) Eriksen with a pacy creator (5 goals and 10 assists in 16 games this season). Can play as a left sided and right sided AM as well as a centre forward

Bowen has average pace but a fantastic way of scoring goals, not dissimilar to Aarjen Robben without pace, in cutting in from the right (he's a left footer) and scoring. Often played on the right but can play on left and also as a centre forward - imo better as a CF than Bergwijn as his stature is better. Playing in Championship means he is well used to physicality and intensity of PL - and an HG player so plenty of room in sqad ,

Would like to have signed both for different reasons - and without a striker back up to Kane maybe Bowen might have an extra edge as a potential false no 9 to alternate with Dele and Son but maybe Bergwijn will start more games as an AM ?

Tough choice imo.

Glad we have Benwign. Disappointed we didn't get Bowen if we didn't sign another striker.

Having watched a lot of Bowen I think he's gonna find life hard in the prem. Used to being the main man, and championship football really is a lot less physical and slower then the prem. And he often goes missing against the better championship sides.

Prediction is he will be steady 5-8 goals a season player. He's not creative enough at CAM not physical enough for ST, meaning he will be on the wing cutting in and taking long range efforts all the time. Because decent fullbacks will keep him quite.

That old way was preventing kids from reaching their potential, whatever that was.

Not playing any competitive football for 3 years while Poch gives you lessons in wholesome morality tends to do that.

Poch had the right intentions but got it completely wrong. He wanted a philosophical institution and ultimately never gave enough of them the trust at first team level when they had become programmed as to how he wanted them to play and behave. They're young footballers, let them play football and show what they're all about in real deal games lower down the leagues.

So who was better between this kid and Tashan Oakley-Boothe? Can't remember which one but one was supposed to be the next Harry Kane according to the youth watchers. Hope it's not this one because he's apparently on his way to the bottom half of the Champo.

Glad he has escaped the Spurs youth bubble.

Just hope he flourishes at Stoke, he was a world beater (the go to midfielder in the E u17 side winning the world cup, more highly rated than the likes of Jadon Sancho, Callum Hodson Odoi, Phil Foden et al all part of that squad) yet after a very good preseason 2017 where he starred in all the games, he fell into the Poch 'non playing but training with first team' time warp where his development was stifled.

2018/19 was marked by multiple minor injuries - possibly the result of Poch intense training regime and back into 2019/20 with Spurs u23's nowhere close to the player of 2017/18 world beater that he was.

Hope he recovers his form at another club. IMO totally a victim of appalling youth development - no other words to describe it. And absolutely why Spurs have lost a number (even a generation) of potential world beaters who have avoided Spurs youth to go to other places such as former Spurs u16 captain and E u16 star Noni Mandueke who joined PSV, but the list is already long of 'Poch Spurs avoiders' who in the long term will cost Spurs dear in the cost of buying world class players not from the Spurs Academy.

Almost a case study in how NOT to develop youth players and the cost of not doing so is multiple millions of transfer fees to buy players who we should have developed and the costs of developing lost talent.

That's what I said BC when I said:
Yeah, that old way was preventing these kids from reaching their potential in the PL.
I think we all agree they were destined for stardom until Poch got his hands on them and made them Champo players. I mean, we've all heard about how good these young kids are time and time and time again. But apparently Poch didn't want the next Harry Kane and preferred to stifled their progress. Bad Poch.

I can only assume the conveyor belt to the first team is gonna be flowing as it was before Poch brought his dastardly deeds into our realm. It's unfortunate that this batch had to suffer his ways but the next one's up have it on easy street.

Glad he has escaped the Spurs youth bubble.

Just hope he flourishes at Stoke, he was a world beater (the go to midfielder in the E u17 side winning the world cup, more highly rated than the likes of Jadon Sancho, Callum Hodson Odoi, Phil Foden et al all part of that squad) yet after a very good preseason 2017 where he starred in all the games, he fell into the Poch 'non playing but training with first team' time warp where his development was stifled.

2018/19 was marked by multiple minor injuries - possibly the result of Poch intense training regime and back into 2019/20 with Spurs u23's nowhere close to the player of 2017/18 world beater that he was.

Hope he recovers his form at another club. IMO totally a victim of appalling youth development - no other words to describe it. And absolutely why Spurs have lost a number (even a generation) of potential world beaters who have avoided Spurs youth to go to other places such as former Spurs u16 captain and E u16 star Noni Mandueke who joined PSV, but the list is already long of 'Poch Spurs avoiders' who in the long term will cost Spurs dear in the cost of buying world class players not from the Spurs Academy.

Almost a case study in how NOT to develop youth players and the cost of not doing so is multiple millions of transfer fees to buy players who we should have developed and the costs of developing lost talent.
So what you're saying is now we should be seeing a clear path to the first team for all this talent? Similar to how it occurred before Poch?

Edit: And could you give us a detailed list of that "generation of potential world beaters who have avoided Spurs youth". I'd like to become a 'youth watcher' and keep an eye on them as they rise to PL and CL glory. And since they did it 'your way' I can only assume this metaphysical certitude will see these players up for the Ballon d'Or in a few years and because Poch ruined ours they will only toil in the Champo. Looking forward to that list of "Poch Spurs avoiders[sic]" but name #1 is Noni Mandueke.

Last edited:
If you told me Parrot was actually going to get a run out in a bunch of first team games the rest of the season.... I’m happy.
I think there’s no chance Jose does that. It’s just going to be a combination of different wingers playing up front, which is limiting.

So what you're saying is now we should be seeing a clear path to the first team for all this talent? Similar to how it occurred before Poch?

Sadly the results of no progress to the first team under Poch is that fewer top quality youngsters have joined the Spurs Academy or have jumped ship - Noni Mandueke is an example I put forward who, now aged 17, has already made his PSV debut and likely to play more with the transfer of Steven Bergwijn to us.

Difficult to evaluate but I'd guess we have 50% of the top stars joining Spurs now than we had 5 years ago - and whilst not all the kids joining make it, reducing the top kids at Spurs from maybe 4 a year to 2 a year, means the chances of great kids coming through at Spurs are halved.

As an example of the current problem, there are rumours that Luis Binks, a 19 year old CB. physically well developed with an Alderweireld ability with long passes and an excellent defender at E u19 level and one of my tips to join Spurs preseason 2020 and maybe following in Tanganga's footsteps is about to jump ship due to the lack of first team pathways. If he does its another example of a shortsighted fuck up with £m future costs

So we might resurrect the Academy, but there will be a (short hopefully) problem in the production line.

Never ever ever ever ever mentioned top class striker....you think Man Utd went all in on covering Rashfords injury with some worldie.....

We couldn’t find an average player to plug a gap for the rest of the season never mind top class.....Levy’s staring to worry me!!

Why? This year we've committed 230m on new players, and you're worried about not signing a second rate back-up striker ... are you sure that worries you?

We need a quality 2nd Striker and a top quality DM nobody is denying that, but was anyone unhappy with only spending 200m (150m net) this year? ... let's hope another 150m gets spent in the summer and that plans are already underway to make that happen ... but let's at least enjoy the moment, this is a huge step forward ... or don't you think so?

Just to put some numbers on the cost of the interruption to the Spurs academy production conveyor belt - Japhet Tanganga coming into Spurs first team (a CB but played out of his experience as LB and RB) probably stopped Spurs following up on their interest in Ferguson at West Brom rated at £10m.

No reason why we have not produced a similar player for each of the last 5 years - before Poch we produced lots of Academy Players inti the first team squad and up until about 12 months after Poch joined in the previous 5 years we had sold £100m + of players deemed not good enough for Spurs (Townsend, Bentaleb, Mason, Carroll, Livermore et al) whilst keeping the likes of Kane. And £100m is a significant number 5 years ago when our record purchases were £30m.

So I'd suggest the Academy, historically, not only contributed to Spurs finances (and added to a transfer fund) but also added players to the first team.

That is something interrupted by Poch reign which hopefully will be resurrected - and January loans out suggests there are hopes it will.

That's what I said BC when I said:

I think we all agree they were destined for stardom until Poch got his hands on them and made them Champo players. I mean, we've all heard about how good these young kids are time and time and time again. But apparently Poch didn't want the next Harry Kane and preferred to stifled their progress. Bad Poch.

I can only assume the conveyor belt to the first team is gonna be flowing as it was before Poch brought his dastardly deeds into our realm. It's unfortunate that this batch had to suffer his ways but the next one's up have it on easy street.

As destined for stardom as Sissoko, Aurier, Moura and Foyth are you mean?

Is there any room in your lexicon between super stars and utter failures? Because they really don’t have to have been super stars to be useful to this spurs team, as Mason, Bentaleb, Winks, Tanganga and in his limited time, Skipp, have already proved. Hell, we’ll probably make more profit from KWP & Townsend than we will from Sissoko and neither of them were super stars.

Sadly the results of no progress to the first team under Poch is that fewer top quality youngsters have joined the Spurs Academy or have jumped ship - Noni Mandueke is an example I put forward who, now aged 17, has already made his PSV debut and likely to play more with the transfer of Steven Bergwijn to us.

Difficult to evaluate but I'd guess we have 50% of the top stars joining Spurs now than we had 5 years ago - and whilst not all the kids joining make it, reducing the top kids at Spurs from maybe 4 a year to 2 a year, means the chances of great kids coming through at Spurs are halved.

As an example of the current problem, there are rumours that Luis Binks, a 19 year old CB. physically well developed with an Alderweireld ability with long passes and an excellent defender at E u19 level and one of my tips to join Spurs preseason 2020 and maybe following in Tanganga's footsteps is about to jump ship due to the lack of first team pathways. If he does its another example of a shortsighted fuck up with £m future costs

So we might resurrect the Academy, but there will be a (short hopefully) problem in the production line.
Ok but I have not done the numbers but there was an article where Rashford had or did the math(s) and it came up with a 0.06% chance of an academy kid making to the first team. Not sticking with that number but putting it out there to display the infinitesimally small chance these kids have to make it. When you compare that chance to the constant din of youth watchers complaining about this and that as if the chance being lost was 90%.

Most of these kids ain't gonna make it and it has nothing to do with Poch's methods. They weren't going to make it before him, they didn't make it with him, and they won't make it after him. That's just science!

And here is my edit to my earlier post...but I got my eye on Luis Binks now.
Edit: And could you give us a detailed list of that "generation of potential world beaters who have avoided Spurs youth". I'd like to become a 'youth watcher' and keep an eye on them as they rise to PL and CL glory. And since they did it 'your way' I can only assume this metaphysical certitude will see these players up for the Ballon d'Or in a few years and because Poch ruined ours they will only toil in the Champo. Looking forward to that list of "Poch Spurs avoiders[sic]" but name #1 is Noni Mandueke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom