January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So to summarise - you believe we will sell 7-8 first team players in January (and be extension find clubs desperate enough to sign them for a premium in January) - which would be a world record no doubt and then go on to sign 5-6 new first class players in the same time?

:leaveityeah:

Well you clearly didn't read my post before commenting on it then did you matey? I mentioned twice that this would be what I'd be keeping an eye on doing over the next 12 months and it's also not a real thing, just a wish list on a football forum.

It was also 4 in, potentially 5 and 7-8 leaving, 3 of which at the time will be free transfers (Toby, Jan & Christian as it stands). 2-3 of those (Wanyama, Aurier & Eriksen) could easily leave this summer so in theory over the next 12 months it could be 4 in, 2-3 out this summer still, 2-3 free transfers out next summer and a couple of sales to go with it. Every chance that could happen based on the numbers of ins and outs.

Last edited:
Ship out Rose, Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Wanyama, one of Dier or Sissoko, Eriksen & Lamela. £85m-£90m in, roughly a bollock drop of £100m-£115m spent. Fuck me it's going to be an expensive January & summer 2020.
Wanyama and Aurier are odds on to leave by Monday and Eriksen is very likely to leave as well but hopefully Toby and Verts sign new contracts. I would not bet money on Rose staying but IMO he is more likely to move in January after RS has bedded in. Upgrades on Sissoko and Lamela would be very welcome but IMO they will be sticking around for a bit.
There is not a snowball's of Eric leaving.

Ryan Fraser of Bournemouth would be a good addition. Currently last year of his contract. Very underrated player. Scores and assists goals. Busy little sod. Plays mainly on the left . Doesn’t look as good on the ball as Lamela but achieves a damn sight more.

I'd argue he's probably overrated.

Mitrovic would be an excellent second striker although I would prefer a more pacy addition.

Love his aggression and no shortage of talent.

But he would give Kane the challenge he really needs.

The January transfer window is usually a bit of an anti climax - biggest reason is that there are usually not too many good players available (most transfers are in the summer) so it means shopping for good players in a particular position is hard, and then it's true that most players transferring in January don't get up to speed to make a big impression in the 2nd half of the season but are at least integrated in for the following season ( t
Eg Moura is a good example).

However this January could be different as the Euros are in the summer from 12 June to 12July So for any team getting to the last 4, add on pre tournament training of 2 weeks and the mandatory 3 weeks player holiday directly after and the tournament goes from end May through to the first week of August.

Which leaves about ,2 to 3 weeks directly after the season ends to buy players in.... But no time to integrate them in or train them to the intensity Poch wants. So no players signed next summer are likely to make many starts until mid September !

Hopefully we will sign 2 or more players in January to get them integrated in the 2nd half of the season to be available next season.

Players of interest will of course be -

CB -whether or not Jan and Toby move on we need to add to Suarez and Foyth.
LB -Maybe. Depends whether we have seen Sessegnon play there much or not.
RB - Depends on his KWP looks and whether Foyth looks set to be RB long term or not
CM - Potential replacement for almost 31 year old Sissoko
AM - Depends on Eriksen long term plans, and maybe how we view Lamela then
Striker - Parrott won't be a regular starter for 2 or even 3 seasons, so just a question of rotating Kane and new striker so as not to affect his development

So position wise we could buy players usefully in most positions -although defence looks like a good place to prioritise.

We also have some decent youth prospects coming through - some of whom we will see in summer 2020 preseason when our first teamers are still recovering from Euros, so just need to ensure we don't block their progress by having too many surplus players in any one position.

New right back and left back

Sessegnon will be developed into our left back and Foyth who has played at RB and for Argentina as well will take those spots.

It’s just a shame one is new and young and the other is injured. By mid season we will looked stronger at full back.

Dybala was an unused sub for Juve against Parma on match day one of the Serie A and only played 14 minutes off of the bench this weekend against Napoli. The club president has ruled out a transfer for him in this window and he could still miss out on the CL squad. I doubt we will get him in Jan tbh but I am sure we will keep him on our radar - his value would probably drop a bit too if he is struggling for games. Every week Higuain keeps scoring to keep him out the side increases the likelihood of him leaving.

Hope we can Sanchez and Foyth a good run of games because we need to start looking at CB options.

I think we’ll look back in a couple of years and realize it was a smart move the club didn’t extend Toby and Jan.

Thomas Meunier could be a solid option if we can't get Atal and/or KWP/Foyth don't completely prove themselves at RB. New contracts for Jan and Toby and that's 3 solid Belgians at the back! If the rumours about Aurier wanting a return to PSG are true then could work out nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom