January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see the same bunch of lemming fuckwits who mistook Sissoko being shit for “stepping up and performing” spending all season, claiming Foyth is an upgrade at RB on Trippier for the next 8 months.

1. He does not have "better acceleration" than Trippier.

2. Foyth's error's aren't geographical, they are errors of judgement because of pressure. That isn't going to be made easier by playing him in a position that requires much more tactical complexity (as a defender, midfielder and attacker that a FB playing for us is) than playing simply as a CB/defender

3) I’ve seen him play there for 3-5 games.
Have you seen their top speed or acceleration stats? Have you watched them in training? Have you watched them compete in an egg and spoon race?

I get the feeling that the club will start to circle around the best young players to get relegated or not gain promotion. Last year it was Grealish, this year Sessegnon & Clarke. Who are we thinking has started well both at the lower end of the PL and the higher levels of the Championship that Pleaty boy will have his eyes on?

Norwich - Max Aarons, Jamal Lewis, Teemu Pukki perhaps?

Aston Villa - Grealish, McGinn, Wesley?

Sheffield United - not sure if that'll be a Levy special hunting ground personally

Southampton - Ward-Prowse perhaps? Angus Gunn if he looks half decent

Newcastle - Longstaff

Fulham - Stephen Sessegnon

I definitely see us being the kind of team who loves to make the most of a clubs misfortunes. Not sure if there's any other players that have caught the eye but I see us having a shortlist of potential for sure. 10 players straight off the bat who could add value and be available should a team not get the breaks they'd hope for or need this season.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that the club will start to circle around the best young players to get relegated or not gain promotion. Last year it was Grealish, this year Sessegnon & Clarke. Who are we thinking has started well both at the lower end of the PL and the higher levels of the Championship that Pleaty boy will have his eyes on?

Norwich - Max Aarons, Jamal Lewis, Teemu Pukki perhaps?

Aston Villa - Grealish, McGinn, Wesley?

Sheffield United - not sure if that'll be a Levy special hunting ground personally

Southampton - Ward-Prowse perhaps? Angus Gunn if he looks half decent

Newcastle - Longstaff

Fulham - Stephen Sessegnon

I definitely see us being the kind of team who loves to make the most of a clubs misfortunes. Not sure if there's any other players that have caught the eye but I see us having a shortlist of potential for sure. 10 players straight off the bat who could add value and be available should a team not get the breaks they'd hope for or need this season.

Think we've always kept half an eye on those opportunities - but we are not the only club. When Hull went down Liverpool took Robertson (LB) whilst Leicester took Maguire (CB).

I'd have preferred Spurs to have taken Robertson, although to be fair LB was probably not seen as a priority for us - but it could have been fun to see us sell Maguire (probably our 3rd choice CB) to ManU for £90m !

Think we've always kept half an eye on those opportunities - but we are not the only club. When Hull went down Liverpool took Robertson (LB) whilst Leicester took Maguire (CB).

I'd have preferred Spurs to have taken Robertson, although to be fair LB was probably not seen as a priority for us - but it could have been fun to see us sell Maguire (probably our 3rd choice CB) to ManU for £90m !

Definitely right. There are always good deals to be had if you see the long term benefits to them. So many good players in the bottom 5 teams in the PL and top 5 in the Championship that a lot look passed because they are deemed a failure in their current side. Even Van Dijk was in the 14/15th positions at Southampton weeks before he got his move to Liverpool. Got to take a punt on lower table talent, especially when it's ripe for doing so after relegation or a failed promotion.

What did it say, it wouldn’t let me read it without fucking around making ad choices and whatnot ?

Basically Spurs want Dybala and Eriksen wants away (as we don't pay him as much as Kane) so a swap could happen. It says Juve would want cash on top from Spurs too which we wouldn't want to do due to the high wages we'd have to pay Dybala.
The whole thing is clickbait speculation on something that could happen, there are no signs anywhere that it's actually being considered or happening.

Unless Eriksen extends his contract, Juve has no reason to do it. They are the masters of signing players for free. They can sign Eriksen for free AND sell Dybala for 80 million.

Basically Spurs want Dybala and Eriksen wants away (as we don't pay him as much as Kane) so a swap could happen. It says Juve would want cash on top from Spurs too which we wouldn't want to do due to the high wages we'd have to pay Dybala.
The whole thing is clickbait speculation on something that could happen, there are no signs anywhere that it's actually being considered or happening.
There are no signs it’s not happening either

There are no signs it’s not happening either

True, but as already said Juve can sign Eirksen for free on a pre-contract agreement in January so why would they waste their time negotiating with Spurs for a swap? They would get more for Dybala selling him on the open market so I can't see why anyone would consider a swap. It just doesn't make any sense.

True, but as already said Juve can sign Eirksen for free on a pre-contract agreement in January so why would they waste their time negotiating with Spurs for a swap? They would get more for Dybala selling him on the open market so I can't see why anyone would consider a swap. It just doesn't make any sense.
theyre throwing sissoko in to sweeten the deal

I've been monitoring him a few years now, but today I have decided to announce that we should buy Lawrence Shankland as a back up to Kane. If the club fails to act upon my insight, again, then this player will go the same way as McGinn and Tierney.

Bruno Fernandes having a nice start to the season after his move from Sporting collapsed.
This was after he got sent off against Boavista last weekend.

Need Fernandes or Dybala. Dybala barely plays now. Can’t stay pat this transfer window.

Dybala probably needs to move for footballing reasons.

Whether he does depends on whether Dybala/his agent/ Juventos have sorted out his image rights.

If not Juvenrus will need to give him away for a fraction of his perceived value so that the acquiring club can sort out the £40m image rights problem that comes with the player.

At least one new centre half , someone to take Eriksen's spot and some young players to get ready for next season.

Knowing Poch he'll be trying to spend all of January trying to renew Toby and Eriksen's contracts and a new improved contract for Wanyama.

Dybala probably needs to move for footballing reasons.

Whether he does depends on whether Dybala/his agent/ Juventos have sorted out his image rights.

If not Juvenrus will need to give him away for a fraction of his perceived value so that the acquiring club can sort out the £40m image rights problem that comes with the player.

Eriksen > Juve (free)
Dybala > Spurs (free)
Levy pays image rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom