January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the fuck would anyone be actively advocating we play Foyth at RB. We've just sold a RB to one of the best teams in Europe because apparently he wasn't lightning quick and made the odd mistake, and people are suggesting we replace him with a CB who is even slower and makes even more mistakes.

Why the fuck would anyone be actively advocating we play Foyth at RB. We've just sold a RB to one of the best teams in Europe because apparently he wasn't lightning quick and made the odd mistake, and people are suggesting we replace him with a CB who is even slower and makes even more mistakes.
Agreed, he's played out there a few times for us and just doesn't look right, too slow (both in terms of shifting his feet against tricks/turns and in flat out races), rash in the tackle with little to no ability to create anything further up the pitch. Hope he proves us all wrong but you don't tend to get any quicker or more agile as you get older, for me he's a good CB prospect in training which is great but we defo need a 1st choice RB asap...please Levy :levyeyes:

We've just sold a RB to one of the best teams in Europe because apparently he wasn't lightning quick and made the odd mistake
"apparently" - I haven't seen that from the club just fans.

I wouldn't play Foyth at RB but I do think that's what management were planning based on his performance for Argentina.

"apparently" - I haven't seen that from the club just fans.

I wouldn't play Foyth at RB but I do think that's what management were planning based on his performance for Argentina.
I think they gambled a bit and decided to give KWP and Foyth the chance and eventually will come to the conclusion that we need to sign a new one, preferably in January.

Ideally we would've sold Trippier and Aurier in the summer and brought in someone like Atal, Foyth isn't a right-back.

I can see Foyth being your new project this season. As the team gains fitness and Moussa is relegated to the bench, Foyth will return and it will become clear that he is Poch's first choice.

You will in turn begin to lambast Foyth, after every game win or lose. With the rest of the forum scratching our heads at why you don't like him when he is stepping up and performing in an area of the pitch that is our weakest (just like sissoko did last season).

1. Foyth has better acceleration than Trippier does.
2. How can you compare Trippier's mistakes to the few that foyth have made when they are in different areas of the pitch?
3. How can you judge the Foyth at RB experiment until you have seen him play there for at least 3-5 games?

The boy can dribble and passes well, he will actually attempt to beat a man unlike trippier did. I am happy we are going to give him a go there its not like we bought a RB so why the fuck not?

Give him a fucking chance.

I think they gambled a bit and decided to give KWP and Foyth the chance and eventually will come to the conclusion that we need to sign a new one, preferably in January.

Ideally we would've sold Trippier and Aurier in the summer and brought in someone like Atal, Foyth isn't a right-back.
I agree -

I think the plan was Foyth as first choice though, I didn't see much Copa America but that scared the hell out of me. I have been pleasantly surprised with KWP this year, I am seeing bits in him that I didn't before - hope games improve him further.

I can see Foyth being your new project this season. As the team gains fitness and Moussa is relegated to the bench, Foyth will return and it will become clear that he is Poch's first choice.

You will in turn begin to lambast Foyth, after every game win or lose. With the rest of the forum scratching our heads at why you don't like him when he is stepping up and performing in an area of the pitch that is our weakest (just like sissoko did last season).

1. Foyth has better acceleration than Trippier does.
2. How can you compare Trippier's mistakes to the few that foyth have made when they are in different areas of the pitch?
3. How can you judge the Foyth at RB experiment until you have seen him play there for at least 3-5 games?

The boy can dribble and passes well, he will actually attempt to beat a man unlike trippier did. I am happy we are going to give him a go there its not like we bought a RB so why the fuck not?

Give him a fucking chance.

I can see the same bunch of lemming fuckwits who mistook Sissoko being shit for “stepping up and performing” spending all season, claiming Foyth is an upgrade at RB on Trippier for the next 8 months.

1. He does not have "better acceleration" than Trippier.

2. Foyth's error's aren't geographical, they are errors of judgement because of pressure. That isn't going to be made easier by playing him in a position that requires much more tactical complexity (as a defender, midfielder and attacker that a FB playing for us is) than playing simply as a CB/defender

3) I’ve seen him play there for 3-5 games.

. Foyth's error's aren't geographical, they are errors of judgement because of pressure. That isn't going to be made easier by playing him in a position that requires much more tactical complexity (as a defender, midfielder and attacker that a FB playing for us is) than playing simply as a CB/defender
Could very well get better with experience, match and position. I imagine that's what management thought with Trippier already peaking.

Could very well get better with experience, match and position. I imagine that's what management thought with Trippier already peaking.

But what's the point, he's never going to have the attributes to be a very good RB. So we get a year of an accident prone CB who offers nothing offensively and then have to go and buy a proper Rb anyway?

If I'm going to watch someone learn on the job out there, lets just play KWP and Aurier or KWP or even Hinds, at least at the end of it we've got a RB with some experience, not a CB who still isn't ever going to be a RB.

But what's the point, he's never going to have the attributes to be a very good RB. So we get a year of an accident prone CB who offers nothing offensively and then have to go and buy a proper Rb anyway?

If I'm going to watch someone learn on the job out there, lets just play KWP and Aurier or KWP or even Hinds, at least at the end of it we've got a RB with some experience, not a CB who still isn't ever going to be a RB.
Perhps they think over the course of the season he will have less mistakes or its a way to get him on the pitch and become a better player for when he moves central. Quite often a youngster will start outside for experience and be moved back in.

Short term pain for long term gain. They feel its best for his development and for the team in the grand scheme of things.

Or they just feel he has the makings of a RB, I am not arguing the case but its pretty clear he was in managements plans for that position.

Perhps they think over the course of the season he will have less mistakes or its a way to get him on the pitch and become a better player for when he moves central. Quite often a youngster will start outside for experience and be moved back in.

Short term pain for long term gain. They feel its best for his development and for the team in the grand scheme of things.

Or they just feel he has the makings of a RB, I am not arguing the case but its pretty clear he was in managements plans for that position.

I think this is the deeply flawed kind of management thinking that has helped get us into the funk we've been in for a while now. Same as Dier as a CM (or worse as an 8), Sissoko as a CM, Winks as a DM, Moura as a CF, Eriksen as a CM2 etc etc.

I think this is the deeply flawed kind of management thinking that has helped get us into the funk we've been in for a while now. Same as Dier as a CM (or worse as an 8), Sissoko as a CM, Winks as a DM, Moura as a CF, Eriksen as a CM2 etc etc.
I don't agree, but then I am not trying to persuade you it's a good idea. I am observing that this seems to have been the plan.

Can you still not see how instrumental sissoko was last season? :pochcry:

If the answer is no Blakey I won’t even bother arguing because it would be futile.

I value your posts a strong 70% of the time. I even asked for your help with some stats the other day if you recall.

But honestly, I just can’t get over the fact that you see no value in sissoko at all, and you have no respect for how he stepped up last season.

For the record I do not want him to start this season, I feel he was a stop gap that we have out grown but he is a good squad player.

Foyth could be similar, and his willingness to progress the ball when playing right back makes me feel that he can do a job there.

If we are going to have someone at right back making mistakes, I would rather the young player that has shown far more appetite for beating his man then the 28 year old who cant be moulded in to a new player.

Can you still not see how instrumental sissoko was last season? :pochcry:

If the answer is no Blakey I won’t even bother arguing because it would be futile.

I value your posts a strong 70% of the time. I even asked for your help with some stats the other day if you recall.

But honestly, I just can’t get over the fact that you see no value in sissoko at all, and you have no respect for how he stepped up last season.

For the record I do not want him to start this season, I feel he was a stop gap that we have out grown but he is a good squad player.

Foyth could be similar, and his willingness to progress the ball when playing right back makes me feel that he can do a job there.

If we are going to have someone at right back making mistakes, I would rather the young player that has shown far more appetite for beating his man then the 28 year old who cant be moulded in to a new player.

Pochettino continual selection of Sissoko in our midfield was instrumental in our demise as an aggressive, footballing team, not it’s salvation.

No manager who wants his team to play out from the back, control the game through his midfield, dictate possession, press the opposition, to play with some cohesion with or without the ball would put a player who lacks all of the fundamental and rudimentary physical and mental attributes to facilitate those things in such a pivotal role in that team structure.

As for fans perspective, it seems to me that one of the best things a player can do is have a very singable name, like (not very) super Pav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom