January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

56351a69c6ae41508af0569452a85304.gif
qy2Vj0q.jpg

Frenkie de Jong is indeed a sensational player. He's better even than Modric and Eriksen as he has the
advantage of speed and at 5' 11'' height as well. I'm thinking minimum £60m for him and minimum £70m for
de Ligt. Has he had injuries? He hasn't played that much.
See him in Schipol last week. Looked a bit sluggish.

Better than Llorente?
But he's not. Llorente's return with us last season was a goal every 220-ish minutes. Gayle's returns in the PL since 2014 have been a goal every 220-ish minutes. He's quite certainly no better that Llorente at all.

This is the problem with the transfer mirage - everyone who plays somewhere else is somehow viewed as being better and able to improve your team. That's how clubs like Spam end up burning piles of cash and going backwards.

Dwight Gayle is hot shit in the championship - he was last time, too. But he's proven that he can't produce at the PL level through many seasons. It'd be ridiculous to waste money on him when he's absolutely no better than our current #2 striker and can provide nothing that we don't already have from our attacking players.

It's really fucking sad you even mentioned his name in connection to Spurs.

We've got a pretty bloated squad - 3 of our current players cannot be registered in CL squad and one cannot be registered in the PL squad.

So :

- We will try to sell a couple of players, the obvious ones being N'Koudou and Janssen but it could even be the likes of Aurier (we have KWP already available to replace him) and/or Sissoko (but not if we are short in CM)

- If the likes of Dembele leaves, as has been rumoured, for a massive last contract in China we may well try to replace him, but if not reply upon Sissoko and youngsters..

- If there are 'bargain' players available, perhaps because they are surplus in a big club, like Lucas Moura was in January, we may buy, provided we can make room in the squad through loans or sales (which may not be that easy or even possible in January). For preference we'd probably try to buy a Home Grown player as we have room in the squad now - but the number of quality homegrown players available is not big.

So realistically - between none and one 'bargain' ?

Yup another quiet TW.

I've got this bad feeling that PSG have been selling us the likes of Aurier and Lucas for cut rate fees in order to comply with FFP, but more importantly, to soften us up for when they make a bid on one of our big name players like Eriksen. Would anyone be willing to swap Eriksen for Draxler +cash if PSG do come calling? Hope I'm wrong on this one.

Pochettino and Levy screwed up in summer. No doubt at all if posters are bothered to think about it.

Kane needed and still needs a break, which will no doubt come at the expense of the league cup or injury, Son the same if not more so and to a slightly lesser extent some of our World Cup stars.

But Kane in particular because of his importance to us and on that basis it demanded a viable playing option.

A really short sighted approach.

I've got this bad feeling that PSG have been selling us the likes of Aurier and Lucas for cut rate fees in order to comply with FFP, but more importantly, to soften us up for when they make a bid on one of our big name players like Eriksen. Would anyone be willing to swap Eriksen for Draxler +cash if PSG do come calling? Hope I'm wrong on this one.

No.

Because Draxler is shit.

Only way I'd accept Eriksen going to PSG is if they give us Mbappe and Verratti in return.

Back
Top Bottom