January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We messed up in the summer, it's done. Lets hope we are putting things in place for a signing or 2 in January to help poch & the players for the 2nd half of the season.

From what I’ve seen so far I think we need a centre mid, striker and maybe a goalkeeper to replace Vorm.

I’d prefer us to bring in Premier League experienced players in January as they’ll need to hit the ground running.

I’d love us to go all out for Loftus-Cheek but it won’t happen. I like the look of Ndidi and Doucoure. As for striker I think we need to be very careful with who we bring in, and invest well. I’d have loved us to get Tabby Abraham but again, can’t see Chelsea doing business.

I've got this bad feeling that PSG have been selling us the likes of Aurier and Lucas for cut rate fees in order to comply with FFP, but more importantly, to soften us up for when they make a bid on one of our big name players like Eriksen. Would anyone be willing to swap Eriksen for Draxler +cash if PSG do come calling? Hope I'm wrong on this one.
'Softening us up' is fantasy and irrelevant. I doubt we'll sell them Eriksen, but Levy wouldn't turn down a £120m offer from anyone if it came in. Softened up or not.

If we we’re gonna go for another striker, I’d personally like a smaller more mobile one
Or if we are playing one up, & it’s not Kane, use Lucas. Two up top isn’t working right now. It did against United, but we can’t be too set in our system. Watford was bad. Today was awful. Surely we need to shuffle the pack to better effect? It’s a squad game, so we are constantly reminded...

Agreed, but who?

Please don’t reply with any name beginning with ‘Mc’.

We don't even need a marquee signing- we just need a healthy, moderately-skilled midfielder with potential to improve. 3/3 of our actual CMs can't even get consistently healthy/in-form right now. And I'm not counting Dier who has yet to even prove that its his best position!

Had a couple of swift ones tonight so apologies in advance. Drunk Spurs squad shakeup commencing! Ones I want to keep, blank spaces for personnel I think we can move along to free up fresh blood space as and when required over the next 15 months or so:

Lloris
2nd choice GK
3rd choice GK
Trippier
2nd choice RB
Walker-Peters
Davies
2nd choice LB
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Sanchez
Foyth
1st choice DM
Wanyama or Dier
1st choice CM
Winks
3rd choice CM/AM
Eriksen
Dele
Lamela
Lucas
Son
Kane
2nd choice FWD

24 man squad, 8 new faces needed. The long and short of it is unless we have aspirations for Gazzaniga to become number one he really ain't needed and a HG slot can easily be used, Aurier for me has had more than enough time and hasn't got the guts for whatever it is we need in a RB, Rose just let him leave as it's best for all parties and go back in for Grealish to offer some creative flair in AM. Go and sign someone like Lobotka as he seems like a nice, tidy little DM and 100% make sure you push the boat out for a real deal CM to replace Dembele. Harry needs help, I don't care what anyone says and it's vital we give him that and some solid competition.

For me a new LB, RB, DM, CM, CM/AM, FWD and 2xGKs should well and truly be on our radar, purely from a talent, fresh and HG quota perspective. 3 transfer windows to make that happen really shouldn't be too much of a stretch for a club like ours. Sadly the board didn't blink this summer and it's left the manager, the players and the supporters all a little flat as it's same old.

A lot of dough needs to be spent or Levy can look forward to Thursday night journeys to Bucharest. It should never have got to the point where transfers need to be as reactive as this, I see far too many passengers in our squad at present who are stopping us enhancing our depth and genuine quality. The sooner Sissoko, Llorente, Janssen etc go the better

Aaron Wan-Bissaka
Ferland Mendy
Stanislav Lobotka
Frenkie De Jong
Abdoulay Doucoure
Jack Grealish

Promote Gazzaniga to 2nd choice and bring Whiteman through to be the new HG number 3 over time. Get rid of Aurier, Rose, Dier or Wanyama, Dembele, Sissoko, Llorente, Janssen, Nkoudou, Onomah, Edwards.

Going to cost a fair bit but fuck me Levy has done it to himself and it only takes a bit of artfulness and I can't see why we wouldn't be able to secure many on that list. Class, energy, flair and strength all over the gaff. Everything needed for a season long haul towards being the club we all know we should be. Our squad would look dynamite!

Last edited:
Giovani Lo Celso went to Real Betis on loan with an option to buy! How the hell weren't we on that one surely that's worth a punt!

I'd be sniffing around him, Denis Suarez and Dani Ceballos as well. There's good quality out there which makes me ask the drunk, pepperami, dipped in doritos salsa eating question of it we are being too picky? I can't believe we let Lo Celso slide past us. Incredible move he's surely worth a punt

Giovani Lo Celso went to Real Betis on loan with an option to buy! How the hell weren't we on that one surely that's worth a punt!

I'd be sniffing around him, Denis Suarez and Dani Ceballos as well. There's good quality out there which makes me ask the drunk, pepperami, dipped in doritos salsa eating question of it we are being too picky? I can't believe we let Lo Celso slide past us. Incredible move he's surely worth a punt

Agreed that there is a lot of talent in the Spanish league that we should be looking towards - considering our manager and staff have all come from there, it's amazing that we don't sign from there more often.

All technically brilliant, especially in the centre of the park. Lots of creativity when it comes to the final third as well. Odd.

Agreed that there is a lot of talent in the Spanish league that we should be looking towards - considering our manager and staff have all come from there, it's amazing that we don't sign from there more often.

All technically brilliant, especially in the centre of the park. Lots of creativity when it comes to the final third as well. Odd.

It's extremely surprising. Maybe Poch thinks you need more muscle to mix it in the Prem but surely the likes of Lobotka, Ceballos, Suarez & Lo Celso could offer some classy solutions in the middle. I'd 100% be going to La Liga to find Eriksens replacement if he's off soon. There's class all the way from Ndombele through to De Jong, all playing at lesser clubs than us. The talent is there if we pull the trigger but for the life of me we didn't do so. If we shipped off our whole midfield minus Winksy, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko & Dembele all gone and got Lobotka, Doucoure or Diawara perhaps, Lo Celso & Ceballos it would breathe all new kinds of life into how we play. DM & CM isn't lacking in talent at the moment so the club seriously need to scout, hustle and get a deal for the right kind of future in the middle of the park. I still shake my head knowing Sissoko was signed, let alone is still a Tottenham player. Unbelievable

Back
Top Bottom