January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

January signings looking like a no go then to be honest.

Unless of course we are out of the Champions League. Then it doesn't really matter.

But we should be able to clear up in the summer. Vorm, Dembele, Wanyama, Llorente, NKoudou and Janssen should all be gone.

In all honesty, if we can shift Nkoudou & Janssen in the January window without bringing anyone else in, that ain't a bad window to be fair. Come the summer with Dembele, Vorm, Llorente and sadly Toby looking like they'll all come to an end shifting Vincent & GKN will probably be the most proactive approach we can have to making space for HG & non HG quotas moving forward & into next summer.

More frustrating than signing players is the failure to get rid of dead weight. Feels like we're the only big club that has this issue.
Can't agree with that mate, I'd argue the problem is a massive one at all of our rivals and more so than ours. Sure we didn't shift anyone in the summer and we are reliant on this before we can bring anyone in but the players that we were willing to let go included Toby and Rose, whilst I support losing a player that doesn't want to be at the club I also supported our stance on the price that we set for them, £75m for Toby was bang on the money and Utd bottled it, that's there issue not ours.

But the real upside is that for all the moaning about us not paying high wages the flipside means that we will not be stuck with these players, look at all our rivals many littered with dross with long contracts and on big wages, not good enough to be trusted to play, not good enough for other teams to buy, more importantly not good enough for the wages they currently receive, no way are they going to take a pay cut to leave so they stay.

Chelsea
Batshuayi £90kpw 3yrs left
Morata £140k pw 4yrs left (I know he plays but he's as effective as Jansen was/is for us)
Drinkwater £90k pw 4yrs left LOL
Bakayoko £110k pw 4yrs left LOL
Zappacosta £80k pw 3yrs left LOL
Emerson £75k pw 4yrs left
Moses £75k pw 3yrs left
In there last year of there contract, therefore, all can leave on a free (they are also out of CL this year, they need the money)
Green, Cahill, Luiz, Fabregas, Pedro, Giroud

You get the picture, I could go on and list a bunch of players at our rivals all on megga wages who also their club need to shift but can't because no other team will pay them more than they are currently earning.

Menawhile the players we are looking to shift are:
N'koudo is supposed to be on £20k pw
Jansen is supposed to be on £22k pw
Rose £60k pw
Toby £75k pw
These wages means that we should stand a chance to offload these players to many clubs, in today's market they are not extraordinary, unlike our rivals. One of the biggest contributors to Woolwich downturn was they were stuck with 5 or 6 players all on massive wages, all taking up a spot in the team.

100% it's imperative that we sell them but we are in not boxed into a corner. The only problem we face would be the fees we achieve when we sell them.

Last edited:
With Poch's words today, it looks as though we will only be going after English talent.

Although I'd still work on trying to get an agreement with Rabiot.
Don't have to be English just been over here since before they was 18?
Someone like Ake who came through Chelsea.

A back up striker to Kane would be nice, but a more important area to fill is centre mid and left back.

I’d even focus on centre backs as more of a priority than striker as Alderweireld and Vertonghen have a year left each, and are getting to the wrong side of 30.

A back up striker to Kane would be nice, but a more important area to fill is centre mid and left back.

I’d even focus on centre backs as more of a priority than striker as Alderweireld and Vertonghen have a year left each, and are getting to the wrong side of 30.

Pretty sure we've got a year extension option for Verts.
That gives us 4 quality CBs for the rest of this season and the next.

Back up to Kane would never play, but we could more easily integrate a hybrid wing/forward type player. Still we have pretty good attacking depth right now. Son and Llorente can spell Kane if needed.

Seems like this takes care of ST/CB for this window at least.
If we could get a bargain in at either of those positions, we of course should take it seriously. Our real needs lie elsewhere though.

CM and LB seem to be our areas of greatest need at present.
I hope these are the ones we focus on in the winter window.

Last edited:
With Poch's words today, it looks as though we will only be going after English talent.

We might have enough foreign dead wood to get rid of in jan though. Nkoudou, Wanyama, Janssen, Llorente, even Dembele if we want a fee for him.

Although I can’t see us shifting all of them in jan, in theory we could make home grown space just from shifting players we don’t need or use any more, and still have some
Foreign spots available.

PLEASE
887899600.jpg.0.jpg

With Vorm, Llorente, Dembele, Janssen & Nkoudou 100% out of the club in the next 6-7 months or so and with Toby's clause kicking in, we'll have plenty of space for non HG players in the squad sooner rather than later. It depends on if the club want to bite the bullet on the non HG quotas before then

From tonight.

Wouldn't surprise me if City double swoop for him and Mendy after tonights game.

Goddamn that highlight reel is pure CM sex.
My fav is the grass-cutting cross-field ball hit with his left foot. Guy has got it in both feet!
He must be around the 60-70m range after that performance.

After his performances this season someone will drop £100m+ on him.

Maybe not quite that much, but I could see a bidding war putting him up around 80-90...
Barca should be looking, if they are smart. Levy should be looking if he's got the cash- he'd be absolutely perfect for us.

I can only hope Man City/Barcelona fight over de Jong all summer allowing us to hopefully TRY and prize him away. But his stock is so high that I doubt we're even on his radar if he leaves.

I can only hope Man City/Barcelona fight over de Jong all summer allowing us to hopefully TRY and prize him away. But his stock is so high that I doubt we're even on his radar if he leaves.

Sooner or later one of these premium deep-central midfielders is bound to fall to us!
I can easily see ndombele/dejong/rabiot going to City/Barca/RM this summer, which could maybe leave us with Berge? I think we can credibly challenge for the premiership next year if we get just one quality CM in- am really hoping something can get done on that front!

Sooner or later one of these premium deep-central midfielders is bound to fall to us!
I can easily see ndombele/dejong/rabiot going to City/Barca/RM this summer, which could maybe leave us with Berge? I think we can credibly challenge for the premiership next year if we get just one quality CM in- am really hoping something can get done on that front!

Berge could quite easily be one of those premium central midfielders we're talking about in a few years and we'll all be sitting here wondering why on earth we didn't put a bid in when we had the chance. He certainly has the tools.

We won't know until we gamble. Problem is, how do we gamble? By spending BIG money on a central midfielder who MAY flop or spend relatively low money on potential who MAY end up being a superstar? I don't think you can have it both ways.

Well the good thing is we will 100% be investing in a CM with Dembele on his way sooner or later, possibly two should certain things happen in the market. I fully expect that our tentativeness in the market should be creating a higher benchmark for what the boss wants in this player. It quite simply needs to be our big signing next summer, every other position we could be looking at is secondary to this one. Summer 2019, with the expiring contracts and evolution of the team is our most critical yet under Mauricio's reign, no punts on Nkoudous or Janssens, we need to pay a premium should we see one we fall in love with, a Davinson signing or two would do me absolutely fine.

Berge could quite easily be one of those premium central midfielders we're talking about in a few years and we'll all be sitting here wondering why on earth we didn't put a bid in when we had the chance. He certainly has the tools.

We won't know until we gamble. Problem is, how do we gamble? By spending BIG money on a central midfielder who MAY flop or spend relatively low money on potential who MAY end up being a superstar? I don't think you can have it both ways.

If you ask me, Ndombele is still a no-brainer at 60-65 million.
Beyond that though, I think I'd rather have two 30-35m players instead.

The way I see it, there are some excellent deep CMs available for a premium price right now. Below that range though, there is a lot of murky semi-proven wishy-washyness with no readily-available answers- the real "gamble"!

Berge looks damn good though- I'd love it if we could bring him in.
Am I crazy for thinking 30-40m ought to be able to do it?

If you ask me, Ndombele is still a no-brainer at 60-65 million.
Beyond that though, I think I'd rather have two 30-35m players instead.

The way I see it, there are some excellent deep CMs available for a premium price right now. Below that range though, there is a lot of murky semi-proven wishy-washyness with no readily-available answers- the real "gamble"!

Berge looks damn good though- I'd love it if we could bring him in.
Am I crazy for thinking 30-40m ought to be able to do it?

Berge wouldn't cost £30m-£40m. I reckon £20m-£25m is reasonable for a player that has potential but could very well flop in a better league. The kid still has a long way to go and his club shouldn't get greedy as it could slap them in the face should his light shine for a short period

Back
Top Bottom