January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Depay should be looked at as an option if one of our offensive players leaves in the summer. But if we can retain our attacking lineup we should probably not go for him.

He's way more versatile now than when he was in England and can operate as a winger, as a striker/second striker and as a attacking midfielder. So if say Eriksen leaves he could be a decent option to bring in instead.

Deepay's got plenty of talent and product, but he's not right for us, he's a lazy fucker without the ball, and he can also be infuriatingly careless.

Difference being here though was that Lucas was actually very good for PSG the previous season, scoring neigh on 20 goals in 16-17. Then they bought new shiny toys in Neymar and Mbappe and Lucas was cast aside.
Mangala on the other hand has always been an absolute car crash of a centre half for City. He never really had a best to get back to to begin with.

he used to be an incredible centre half albeit in a half cooked league. i'm guessing that's why $ity paid £30m for him. maybe he's just not good enough in the english league though? i dunno. i was more into the 'free transfer' bit lol.

he used to be an incredible centre half albeit in a half cooked league. i'm guessing that's why $ity paid £30m for him. maybe he's just not good enough in the english league though? i dunno. i was more into the 'free transfer' bit lol.

Probably best off letting Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb tell you what he thinks on Mangala - he's a Porto fan and was signed from Porto initially.

Mangala for me has got as far as he has because of his athleticism. A bit like Sakho really. But both are a bit slow in the brain department when it comes to being an elite centre half. Both aren't the best on the ball either which again you need to be to really play at the top level these days.

Probably best off letting Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb tell you what he thinks on Mangala - he's a Porto fan and was signed from Porto initially.

Mangala for me has got as far as he has because of his athleticism. A bit like Sakho really. But both are a bit slow in the brain department when it comes to being an elite centre half. Both aren't the best on the ball either which again you need to be to really play at the top level these days.
Mangala was very good for Porto. I will always have a soft spot for him. But let’s go to the facts he’s like 90% physical and 10% the rest. He’s the fastest strongest pure beast I ever saw in the Portuguese league. And he was always bigger and faster than the opponents so he could fuck up a positional or technical mistake and win the play thanks to that. He was very very limited in Porto and the manager made the tactic in a way he could only pass to two players. The former keeper Helton and the left back Alex Sandro who was and is technically sublime. He’s a good center back but can’t do it for us or another top team in England as well. Sakho is better than him imo. Sakho fucked up at Liverpool because he was too relaxed out of the field for klopp like not because of his ability. He’s not worst than lovren

he will be available for free, is what i was pulled in by. 27, left sided, fast and strong, £30m player, for free lol

EDIT: Inter Milan have reportedly made a bid for Manchester City and France defender Eliaquim Mangala, 27.

Last edited:
I don't understand all this needing a left footed left sided CB, surely people would rather have a better quality right footed CB on the left side than a so so left footed one. I see it as a nice to have but not a crucial thing to possess

Agreed. It's no where near as important as people think

I don't understand all this needing a left footed left sided CB, surely people would rather have a better quality right footed CB on the left side than a so so left footed one. I see it as a nice to have but not a crucial thing to possess
It's handy to have. The left sided CB almost plays as a full back when we play with 5 at the back and we're in possession. But yeah i agree, hardly crucial.

I don't understand all this needing a left footed left sided CB, surely people would rat her have a better quality right footed CB on the left side than a so so left footed one. I see it as a nice to have but not a crucial thing to possess

disagree mate (without the button lol)

alderweireld, sanchez, dier, foyth. none of them play comfortably on the left. take a look at alderweireld playing there and notice how many awkward moments he has. he loses half of his quality when played there.

it's not as important as say, the centre of the park, buying a left sided centre half. i want us to buy a superstar midfielder. i posted rafhina from barcelona a few pages back but he's out for the rest of the season.

we scrape by when vertonghen is out.

i bought mangala's name up earlier because he will be available for free this summer. i'd hope that pochettino could iron out his negatives with time but i very much doubt he will come to us anyway.

either way, we do still need a left sided centre half at some point in the not too distant future.

January signings looking like a no go then to be honest.

Unless of course we are out of the Champions League. Then it doesn't really matter.

But we should be able to clear up in the summer. Vorm, Dembele, Wanyama, Llorente, NKoudou and Janssen should all be gone.

Unless of course we are out of the Champions League. Then it doesn't really matter.

But we should be able to clear up in the summer. Vorm, Dembele, Wanyama, Llorente, NKoudou and Janssen should all be gone.

Don't want to be a broken record, but getting rid of Vorm (who appears to have been usurped by Gazzaniga for that number 2 slot, yes?) and having a home grown 3rd choice goalkeeper is an absolute must.

More frustrating than signing players is the failure to get rid of dead weight. Feels like we're the only big club that has this issue.

If we make any signings in January it will be homegrown players to bed them in and boost us in the league

If we make any signings in January it will be homegrown players to bed them in and boost us in the league

Not many that are likely going to come in and do the business though. So buying for the future would be nice but give the moaners something to moan about

Back
Top Bottom