January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

mangala is up for a free transfer this summer. a 27 year old left footed centre back that used to be 'the next big thing', kind of like lucas used to be. free transfer sounds great but could poch get him back to his best? big ask.

The thing is,Tierney is a wing back who constantly pushes forward but leaves a huge hole at the back. .

This is the thing that most Trippier knockers just don't seem to get. On the odd occasions we get punished like this, it's invariably because of the way we play and the way he's asked to play. I had the same arguments when Walker played, no matter how quick a FB is, if we want them to push right up and become auxiliary wingers, which we do, and Trippier does this better than most in this league, then we can't be surprised when there is gaps behind him.

The answer for me is to get some more intelligent and dynamic midfielders in there and play a 433, which allows better lateral coverage for the way we play.

Aurier looked fine yesterday, but that's because he rarely contributed anything in the final third. If we want a FB that does, then we have to accept the tactical cost. And if we do, then there aren't any that are more productive than Trippier, so there will always be a compromise, it's just about rationalising that compromise. It's crazy to think there's a RB out there who is without compromise for our system. Not since Lahm retired and Danny Alves became a ginormous and over the hill twat anyway.

I'm 100% happy with Winks as a number 6 but only in a midfield 3.

Happy with Dier as a utility option. To be able to play 2 different positions to a reasonable level is a great thing to have in the squad.

Firpo or Tierney, 100%. You read my mind. Both young, gettable and offer so much going forward.

Right side? Genuinely not sure. I'm almost hoping Aurier and KWP can step it up. I would like a new RB but don't feel it's priority over some other key positions.

I think he could come in and surprise us all. He has all the ability to succeed in this league.

I can't help but like wan bassaka? Not sure if KWP can get there. Really want him to though. Aurier giving lots of hope during that chelsea game. Would definitely be happy for him to take starting berth a good go.

Also like the ability to go to a 343 or 352 and have trippier in his best role. With rose on the left if he will stay.

I think if Eriksen were to go, the only player - getable (ie not un-getable Pjanic or Alcantara) - who could give us something similar, a combination of composure and intelligence - a productive creative fulcrum - would be Fekir, but even he is more of an AM/FW than that AM/8 hybrid role that Eriksen brings, where he'll contribute goals and make chance and goals for others, but also see the ball about 60-70 times a game too.

Eriksen's role in our team is virtually irreplaceable. You'd probably need to buy Fekir and a quality 8 to replace him.

I think if Eriksen were to go, the only player - getable (ie not un-getable Pjanic or Alcantara) - who could give us something similar, a combination of composure and intelligence - a productive creative fulcrum - would be Fekir, but even he is more of an AM/FW than that AM/8 hybrid role that Eriksen brings, where he'll contribute goals and make chance and goals for others, but also see the ball about 60-70 times a game too.

Eriksen's role in our team is virtually irreplaceable. You'd probably need to buy Fekir and a quality 8 to replace him.
Julian Brandt
Thorgan Hazard

I don’t know, Lamela if played centrally is very creativity and dynamic and would be best placed to move into that role from the current players we have.

Assuming we would get £100 mil for Eriksen so Fekir and say Ndombele would be suitable with that. All hypothetical.

Thing is we can lose any player with our model so long as we get a good transfer fee to replace, it’s when we lose our players cheap or for nothing that we are in trouble.

I don’t know, Lamela if played centrally is very creativity and dynamic and would be best placed to move into that role from the current players we have.

Assuming we would get £100 mil for Eriksen so Fekir and say Ndombele would be suitable with that. All hypothetical.

Thing is we can lose any player with our model so long as we get a good transfer fee to replace, it’s when we lose our players cheap or for nothing that we are in trouble.
The one thing keeping Lamela from being a proper Eriksen alternative is that Lamela is fairly one footed whereas Christian is basically ambidextrous when it comes to his feet.

But to be fair most players have a foot that they favor so Eriksen being double footed is fairly rare

Indeed.

Looks like we're going for the 433 so as it stands we have Dembele, Wanyama, Dele, Eriksen, Winks, Dier, Wanyama and Sissoko to fill those positions.

So really a central midfield is NOT needed in January but will 100% be needed next summer when Wanyama is stripped for parts, Dembele's contract runs out and we then need to upgrade on Dier and Sissoko.

Rabiot on a pre-contract deal would be smart. Then a hybrid 6/8 in Haidara/NDombele/Diawara would be perfect.
Wanyama stripped for parts. I like that.

Bare with me...

Do you think Sissoko’s emergence has a dominant central midfielder will have an impact on signing a midfielder in January?
It probably makes the situation less desperate in the immediate sense, but doesn't really solve our problems, given that...
I don't think so.

Wanyama and Dembele are both done. Which leaves us with 5 central midfielders to fill out a midfield 3. We need to upgrade on atleast 2 of those players.

What it might see us do is sign in January for the view of the summer though so they don't come in and expect to hit the ground running (or we loan back to parent club). Haidara would fit the bill in that instance.

But there was no way we were going to sign a big hot shot midfielder in the January transfer window anyway.
Strangely, and I never thought I'd be saying this, we probably need to be thinking ahead to the end of the season/summer and getting Sissoko to sign a new contract. He'll be down to 2 years at that point.

That is, of course, if his renaissance continues and there isn't a temptation to flog him (e.g. to China) while his stock improves.
:levyeyes:

It probably makes the situation less desperate in the immediate sense, but doesn't really solve our problems, given that...

Strangely, and I never thought I'd be saying this, we probably need to be thinking ahead to the end of the season/summer and getting Sissoko to sign a new contract. He'll be down to 2 years at that point.

That is, of course, if his renaissance continues and there isn't a temptation to flog him (e.g. to China) while his stock improves.
:levyeyes:
Sissoko won't be the lynchpin of our midfield for years to come. But he will do well bridging the gap and holding it together as we structure our new one. And if he continues performing well I am all for renewing his deal. It's always good having workhorses on the books that can be a midfield super sub

I like Brandt but he’s not quite the same as Eriksen. Hazard even less like Eriksen. I think both are best as AM’s cutting in from left or right.
It’s nearly impossible to find a player who compares exactly with top players. When Eriksen goes the way we play will change, I suspect that both Brandt and Hazard could fit his role (Brandt especially as Hazard is closer to Dele in his style). Actually I think that if Brandt started playing deeper he would develop along Eriksen’s mold, Ajax’s Eriksen was quite different from the one we have now

It’s nearly impossible to find a player who compares exactly with top players. When Eriksen goes the way we play will change, I suspect that both Brandt and Hazard could fit his role (Brandt especially as Hazard is closer to Dele in his style). Actually I think that if Brandt started playing deeper he would develop along Eriksen’s mold, Ajax’s Eriksen was quite different from the one we have now

In fact, I’d say the Eriksen we have now has almost come full circle to the Ajax Eriksen, where he played LM8 in their 433.

I do like Brandt, and I guess in this modern “Guardiola” world where AM’s can play as CM’s he could try to drop into that DeBruyne/Eriksen type 8/AM hybrid role, he does see more ball in games than normal AM’s, but it could only be in a 3.

mangala is up for a free transfer this summer. a 27 year old left footed centre back that used to be 'the next big thing', kind of like lucas used to be. free transfer sounds great but could poch get him back to his best? big ask.
Difference being here though was that Lucas was actually very good for PSG the previous season, scoring neigh on 20 goals in 16-17. Then they bought new shiny toys in Neymar and Mbappe and Lucas was cast aside.
Mangala on the other hand has always been an absolute car crash of a centre half for City. He never really had a best to get back to to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom