January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed. I still think Grealish would have been a good signing, especially if he got to work with the likes of Christian & Dembele for a year. What a great learning curve that would have been for a young player who clearly has talent

Yup and there are probably not too many of his age/experience available.

For example Loftus-Cheek isn't being played by Chelsea so should be available from any other club but )a) I doubt if they want to sell (b) Abramovitch wouldn't sell to Spurs

The likes of Bournemouth are unlikely to sell some of the good English HG youngsters they have because they all have so much TV money no incentive to sell.

So, as I say a very limited choice I suspect.

If we are going after HG then Lewis Cook. Younger, more prem experienced and has a higher ceiling than Grealish imo.

On paper, double the price too given that spec.... :levywtf:

Just playing devils advocate really, but as others have said it's only gonna get more difficult prizing a player of that profile from their clubs; especially if they're playing week in week out(*) and/or integral to the manager's plans.

(*Cook would have far more to lose from a personal perspective too.)

We need to have a feeder club of some description because the current mod is not brilliant or do what Liverpool did with Keita.

If we accept that the pool of quality players good enough to improve us is limited (I am not convinced but it's possible) then we need to be smart.

Grealish should be with us if Pochettino wanted him for example. Now we rely on him rejecting a new contract and potehtially risk losing him to another big club.

So for me it's twofold. Change the model and/or change our approach.

For example Loftus-Cheek isn't being played by Chelsea so should be available from any other club but )a) I doubt if they want to sell (b) Abramovitch wouldn't sell to Spurs

Genuinely curious as to where this came from. Did Levy piss in his oil or something?

Genuinely curious as to where this came from. Did Levy piss in his oil or something?

Allegedly came about when Frank Arnesen (DoF) was poached by Chelsea and Levy insisted on compensation or requiring DoF to work his contract (a couple of years) before joining Chelsea.

So Chelsea forked out £5m....then reduced scope of job for Arnesen and made him redundant a couple of years later.

Allegedly Chelsea were trying to derail Spurs revival (this was circa 2006 when under Jol Spurs got their highest league position for 20 odd years coming 5th) by hiring Anesen so it was an expensive 'fail'.

Honestly I hope the Grealish ship has sailed. We can do much better.
Not sure we could now. I thought it made more sense to got Ross Barkley from Everton last Jan when he was going for about half the price of what Grealish was. England international, PL-proven, by all accounts desperate to move to us and be improved by Poch, home grown, sounded like he'd grown up. Hope I'm proved wrong with him at Chavski.

Not sure we could now. I thought it made more sense to got Ross Barkley from Everton last Jan when he was going for about half the price of what Grealish was. England international, PL-proven, by all accounts desperate to move to us and be improved by Poch, home grown, sounded like he'd grown up. Hope I'm proved wrong with him at Chavski.

TBF, now we see him back on a football pitch that's a far more comfy viewpoint to hold.... He hadn't played for nigh on 18 months when the chavs bought him.

Allegedly came about when Frank Arnesen (DoF) was poached by Chelsea and Levy insisted on compensation or requiring DoF to work his contract (a couple of years) before joining Chelsea.

So Chelsea forked out £5m....then reduced scope of job for Arnesen and made him redundant a couple of years later.

Allegedly Chelsea were trying to derail Spurs revival (this was circa 2006 when under Jol Spurs got their highest league position for 20 odd years coming 5th) by hiring Anesen so it was an expensive 'fail'.

Incidentally I should have mentioned Arnesen's importance to Spurs revival at the time.

In his first Transfer Window he brought in OVER 20 players for the Spurs first team and reserves (creating 'Frankies Funtime Fridays' as many of the announcements of incoming players seemed to occur on a Friday to a bemused Spurs fanbase who had never seen so many players signed so quickly) as well as hiring Martin Jol who had the job of integrating the players into a team, and as I said, took Spurs back to being a 'Top 6' club along the way.
The start of the good times.

Despite Roman trying to nick the creator

Incidentally I should have mentioned Arnesen's importance to Spurs revival at the time.

In his first Transfer Window he brought in OVER 20 players for the Spurs first team and reserves (creating 'Frankies Funtime Fridays' as many of the announcements of incoming players seemed to occur on a Friday to a bemused Spurs fanbase who had never seen so many players signed so quickly) as well as hiring Martin Jol who had the job of integrating the players into a team, and as I said, took Spurs back to being a 'Top 6' club along the way.
The start of the good times.

Despite Roman trying to nick the creator
That we then refused to sell them Modric a few years later probably did not help much either

Plus tapping up Modric and getting him to big up Chelsea to force a move, and poaching Willian.

Unless I’m mistaken, I think the only players we’ve ever signed directly from Chelsea are Venables and Poyet.

Plus tapping up Modric and getting him to big up Chelsea to force a move, and poaching Willian.

Unless I’m mistaken, I think the only players we’ve ever signed directly from Chelsea are Venables and Poyet.

,....and Cudichini (GK) ?

Time for you to step up and act as peacemaker. Its a big job but I know you can do it.

Just email Roman and say :

'Look mate lets kiss and make up. All you need to do is to sell us that CM you don't want called Reuben Loftus-Cheek for a pound and everything will be fine on our side, At least until you want a favour back'

Back
Top Bottom