January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The club is weird. Not sure if it's just about backing a manager as opposed to always seeking to get the supposed best deal or reasoned market price. I do get that to a large extent.

I just think that as responsible as the club is that our model seems to be one which is moving inexorably to player development and extending contracts (where possible)

How sustainable that is and how mucg success it can bring will come to a head in the next few weeks.

But we pay decent money now, are in London, are competitive and have a strong foundation with a new stadium soon to move into. Surely not every player we are after costs 50 million or is worse than what we have?
It's not something we need to worry about because the club won't buy a player for 50m so it's a moot point.

I wonder if we had a bid accepted.
my mate is ITK, was left out today as we have made a bid they will except, it’s now down to the player to agree terms, And just to cover all bases there is a small chance he won’t agree terms so might be a worthless bid...lol :pochbye:

The club is weird. Not sure if it's just about backing a manager as opposed to always seeking to get the supposed best deal or reasoned market price. I do get that to a large extent.

I just think that as responsible as the club is that our model seems to be one which is moving inexorably to player development and extending contracts (where possible)

How sustainable that is and how mucg success it can bring will come to a head in the next few weeks.

But we pay decent money now, are in London, are competitive and have a strong foundation with a new stadium soon to move into. Surely not every player we are after costs 50 million or is worse than what we have?

How hard is it to understand?

We've been in a period the past 10 years where we've had the training ground and stadium to pay for. This has meant a tightening of belts while the club is kept stable during this period and also paying for some of the investments above.

There is we've been told a transfer budget that is separate to this, if Poch needs a player he knows he has this money and anything he generates in sales. Unfortunately the squad has too many players at the moment and until the squad is trimmed we aren't going to be buying anyone.

Enic/Levy are putting sound foundations in for the club that will make sure it can compete season after season for years to come. They could have spunked a load of money one season and really backed the manager and gone for it, not bothered with the stadium and training ground, but what if we still hadn't won the title, then what? Then what about the next season and the season after, having one succesful year doesnt all of a sudden mean you can compete. The club will be in an amazing position in a few years time and will really be able to go for the type of players you all want us to sign, but that will only be because of the position Enic/Levy will have put us in.

The problem a lot of fans have is they want everything now, they've had their heads drilled with shite from ITKs and believe, no demand that the club goes out and spends millions on top level players every year when the money just isn't there. Until the stadium is built and there's sponsorship/s in place and the debt has been restructured get used to it, because none of the above is changing.

I'll ask any of the moaning bitches to answer this question, John Thomas, Mindblown, The Hood etc. Where in the accounts does it say we have money to spend on these players, most years apart from the last 1 or 2 we've broken even, the last couple we've turned a decent profit which will i hope have gone into paying off the stadium debt.

Where in all of the accounts does it say Enic/Levy are fleecing the club and taking all of the money?

Oh shit. Very interesting indeed. I'd wager it's avoiding being cup-tied. Could make millions in difference if a team willing to stump up to get him in January came in.

Totti Totti

EatSleepSport

Bowen sustained knee and ankle injuries in last week's draw at Sheffield Wednesday and will miss out for the first time in the Sky Bet Championship this season.

Only question on accuracy is the site calling him Jarrod Brown.........

No One here, despite how much people like to think they do, knows how the transfer business is done at the club.
Logic suggests that, as a club on as budget, we ain't buying players with out the managers approval.(Even a no brainer like Van Der Vaart he contacted Redknapp to make sure. According to Redknapp)

Its fucking funny that some of the same people that think levy is a tight cunt that won't spend money are the same ones that think Sissoko and Llorente were panic buys. doesnt add up.
Whats more likely is that we approached their clubs, were told "not for sale", and asked to be kept informed if they did go on the market, and how much they would cost.
We also know they ain't being sold unless the manager says so. Thats what he said about Kyle Walker, so it stands to reason it applies across the board.

In the modern game, transfers aint the fiefdom of one person. Citeh got in Ferran Sorriano and Txkiki whatever his name is before they got Guardiola. That way they knew the people sorting their transfers would be on the same page. and citeh have a bottomless money pit.

whats most likely is, for us, there is a commitee of 3 or 4 people involved in transfers..Hitchen, Levy, Pochettino , and maybe the acadamy guy, Mcdermott (?). They will decide who we want, the maximum fee, wages etc etc

so that way, if a target becomes available late, Levy (or whoever) can sort it quick. (thats not say he doesnt like to negotiate..course he does. his job is to get the best deal for the club, after all)

so this summer? the only target we know about for a fact is Grealish. cos Steve Bruce flapped his gums about it.
we dont know if pochettino said no to paying XX Million for Seri. we dont know if he was a target.

but we have to remember its not just who you bring in, its who you get out. you cant force a player to go. you can pay him up, release him, but again..club on a budget.

revenue is about 300 million a year. about half goes on wages (paying out a players contract would come out of the non wages half so you pay a load of them up and effectively spunk your transfer budget on creating the squad gaps, and have nowt left to fill the holes with. leaves you very lite).then once you deduct all the other costs we have had over the last year...

A squad that is currently 3rd in the table and you want to get rid of 8 players. Sure some of them will leave, possibly in Jan, more in the summer but there's no way 8 players are going this window, nor would Poch want them all to leave, to then have to try and bring in replacements would be impossible. If there's something we've learnt over the past 4 or 5 years under Poch is that a settled squad without major overhaul gives a club more stability and more chance of success.

Tripier and Aurier both have a part to play over the next few seasons and will be some of Pochs least concerns of replacements. Signing up Eriksen will be a priority, not sure the club will chase Toby to sign, i wouldn't be surprised if the offer that was made a couple of years ago is still on the table.

3 or 4 out if we're lucky and maybe we might get 1 midfield and possibly 1 younger up coming in will be a great window.

This of course is my opinion and i have about as much clue as anyone else thinks they do.

One thing i do think though is that there is always the funding there for the right player, clearing space though was the issue in summer and once again will be this window.

I never mentioned anything about this window, I have purely pointed out that these 8 players should be very ones we are looking to shift as they take up valuable space in the squad, valuable wages and we need to utilise the space they tale up more efficiently.

Vorm, Dembele & Llorente are our of contract this summer, Janssen & Nkoudou clearly are surplus to requirements and if Wanyama can’t get fit are you honestly saying after being out for pretty much 2 seasons that we should be keeping him?

6 players right there that genuinely add nothing long term so why keep them? The others I mention in Aurier & Trippier maybe I’m being harsh on them but I really think out full back area is weak and neither of these do anything to suggest they are what you need to mount a challenge of real substance long term so I don’t see why wholesale changes if it benefits the playing quality can’t be done.

We’ll definitely be shifting five at minimum this summer at the latest in Vorm, Dembele, Llorente, Janssen & Nkoudou and why should the volume of players who are surplus to requirements mean others not good enough or fit enough to be a part of is moving forward should get a free ride because of their situations?

Back
Top Bottom