Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

he was at fault TWICE for the goal, that's the annoying thing. He only seems to do it in the big games.

I would like to point out that this is exactly the sort of thing I was referring to in my "confess your unpopular opinion" post. He's immense but costs us silly points.

I would like to point out that this is exactly the sort of thing I was referring to in my "confess your unpopular opinion" post. He's immense but costs us silly points.

I said in the same thread that over 38 games, I don't think we'd be any worse off with Vorm.

And I love Lloris.

Hes a superb goalie and has saved us many times, but today was yet again basic stuff that a man of his calibre should do day in, day out. Im gutted because he will also know its his fault. The free kick, personally i think thats an excellent strike and he isnt going to get it. The throw out and then on the near post like that... gnnhghhh.

I wouldn't want to criticise him, or suggest we can do better, but feel I can summarise it as simply as this:

When Hugo retires, if he hasn't won any trophies (outside of the two French league ones), he wouldn't have any justification in blaming the club and would hopefully recognise that he would have played a part in that.

His ability would suggest he might be well decorated with more consistency.

Agree with this. He's easily one of the top 5 keepers in the PL, but he makes not just one error but a series of blunders in the biggest games. Probably the main reason we have been able to keep him so long. The only thing I can think of is its a mentality issue. He's clearly got the game so I don't see any issue with his technique or lack of skill.

The throw out wasn't the problem. Wanyama had all day and more than one option.
I think it's a bit of both - but more on Wanyama for failing to avoid being caught in possession.

The whole goal was a bit 'comedy of errors' but at least it happened because we desperately wanted to win the game (i.e. Lloris collecting the ball and trying to distribute it quickly rather than slow it down to aim for a 1-1 draw).

This is a subjective quesiton, but how many more high profile blunders would it take before Poch considers dropping him and sticking Vorm in? Not saying I want this to happen but the thought must be running through Poch's head at some point surely? Barca used to play Ter Stegen in the CL only, could Poch perhaps play Vorm in the more high profile, high pressure games and go with Lloris for the other games?

This is a subjective quesiton, but how many more high profile blunders would it take before Poch considers dropping him and sticking Vorm in? Not saying I want this to happen but the thought must be running through Poch's head at some point surely? Barca used to play Ter Stegen in the CL only, could Poch perhaps play Vorm in the more high profile, high pressure games and go with Lloris for the other games?

I think dropping him for big games won't do him any favours. If he keeps on making silly mistakes like he does however Poch will have no choice but to bring Vorm in. Competition for places only means something if there's genuine competition.

Time to start seriously focusing Hugo, you're our club captain and these kind of things are happening far too frequently and need to stop

But he was culpable for the goal. We put up with his shaky distribution because he's such a good shot stopper, but when he's not doing that he looks vulnerable.

Good post. All keepers will make mistakes, that's just a fact of life but I don't see De Gea, Courtois etc making a similar number of high profile, basic blunders as Lloris does. At least not any more from De Gea as he was dodgy when he first came to England.

I know all keepers make mistakes, but his made too many recently for my liking, today, for france against sweden, against man city, liverpool, costly stuff.

Lloris tried to catch them on the break, failed and paid a heavy price, any other keeper on any other team would probably have held unto the ball for as long as possible to get the draw...

No doubt about it, he was at fault yesterday but I'm afraid finding a goalkeeper that doesn't make a mistake is and always has been impossible.
He doesn't make many mistakes and has kept us in many a game. He won't let this affect him and carry on being one of if not the best keeper in the league.

Not seen any of it on telly yet but I've no idea what was wrong with the throw out? The goal sure it went under him but the throw I don't see the problem? Enlighten me please!
One could argue that he should have either just held onto the ball to force a draw. Or just pelted it up field rather than just throw it

Lloris tried to catch them on the break, failed and paid a heavy price, any other keeper on any other team would probably have held unto the ball for as long as possible to get the draw...

One could argue that he should have either just held onto the ball to force a draw. Or just pelted it up field rather than just throw it
All rather seems like hindsight. I'm happy he had spotted the potential break and was going for the win rather than settling for a draw when we'd been the better team.

Had Wanyama not given it away there was a great chance for us to break and win that game. I want Lloris to be positive in that position; I'd only agree he should have held on to it if we'd been winning. I can't fault Lloris there.

Should have saved the shot, though.

Back
Top Bottom