Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Strangest thing is, I see Vorm as being far better than anyone Pep would try and buy (his 'style' of keeper), and would suit their system as he's always come across as a sensible keeper with good distribution and excellent all-round abilities. He'd do very well at your Barcas or Reals. Much better than Bravo or Valdez imo.

Where he falls down, in my opinion, and where Lloris excels is not just the "Peter Schmeichel" effect that Lloris has (command and presence), but he doesn't suit the 'sweeper keeper' style of play.

I do really like Vorm though, and he's been outstanding this season just gone.

Vorm >>>>>>>>>>>>> Bravo

If given an unlimited supply of money with anyone willing to join us? Plenty.

As it stands I'd keep Lloris, because he's proven to be a great goalkeeper and he's saved us a lot more than he has cost us. Like most goalkeepers.

But it's a pointless question, because asking other fans the question. Chelsea fans will say they'd prefer Courtois, Man Utd fans say they'd prefer de Gea, Juventus fans will say they prefer Buffon, Barcelona fans would say they prefer ter Stegen, Bayern fans will say they prefer Neuer, hell even Woolwich fans will say they prefer Cech etc. - does that make them all better than Lloris? or is it just pointless replacing solid goalkeepers who are at the club already?

Quite a hilarious reaction from most on here when it's well known Lloris' kicking is shit - yet when he does it for FRANCE.... fucking France, when no one on here is even fucking French is hilarious.

Doubt you got the disagrees primarily for saying his kicking was shit, but for saying that it was embarassing and that its the reason he is with us and not an elite club - as if Spurs isn't an elite club. Ridiculous statement.

Doubt you got the disagrees primarily for saying his kicking was shit, but for saying that it was embarassing and that its the reason he is with us and not an elite club - as if Spurs isn't an elite club. Ridiculous statement.

Was it not embarrassing? Last minute, kick it straight to a Swedish player who scores the winner.

In terms of European Elite, we are not - how can anyone disagree with that. Competed in the Champions League twice in the last 25 years, managed to get past the group stages in just 1 of those years. Haven't won a cup competition in 9 years or a league in 50+ years. Stop it.

We're getting there but to suggest we are part of the European Elite is quite frankly ridiculous.

Once again, for CLARIFICATION. I'm not saying Lloris is shit, far from it and I've already said I wouldn't trade him. It'd be a pointless exercise, he's our captain and he's happy here.

I personally wouldn't call him world class, I would say his the bracket just under that, great keeper but is prone to the odd mistake (Man city and Leicester this season). I think at his high standards, this season wasn't his best either. In a lot of ways, if he was a world class keeper, then he probably wouldn't be playing for us anyway.

I personally wouldn't call him world class, I would say his the bracket just under that, great keeper but is prone to the odd mistake (Man city and Leicester this season). I think at his high standards, this season wasn't his best either. In a lot of ways, if he was a world class keeper, then he probably wouldn't be playing for us anyway.

What goalkeeper (ever) didn't commit mistakes?

As people has said, GKs like Neuer and Lloris almost never make mistakes, but when they do it does like terrible. I can tell you I have seen Neuer do plenty of mistakes and Buffon too, and those are the current No 1 and 2 in the world imho.

Was it not embarrassing? Last minute, kick it straight to a Swedish player who scores the winner.

In terms of European Elite, we are not - how can anyone disagree with that. Competed in the Champions League twice in the last 25 years, managed to get past the group stages in just 1 of those years. Haven't won a cup competition in 9 years or a league in 50+ years. Stop it.

We're getting there but to suggest we are part of the European Elite is quite frankly ridiculous.

Once again, for CLARIFICATION. I'm not saying Lloris is shit, far from it and I've already said I wouldn't trade him. It'd be a pointless exercise, he's our captain and he's happy here.

Football Clubs‘ Valuation: The European Elite 2017

European elite.

To be fair, that's flawed as it's mostly base on revenue. English clubs are always going to be high on that simply because the amount of money clubs in England get with TV rights etc.

For example, we're above Atletico on that, though I'd say a team who managed to win La Liga with that budget and get to 2 Champions League finals in the last 3 years is probably higher than us in terms of elite status.

I'd say 10th or 11th is where we belong, yes. Whether or not you consider that elite or not is certainly up for discussion. Being the 10th of 11th best club in world football doesn't win you anything. Like the article says though, there is an upward trend with Spurs, squad value is increasing, we're making profit, new stadium to move into and back to back Champions League succession - we'll only continue to rise.

Few cup wins and a real go in the Champions League will help even more - hopefully with that comes paying players suitable wages to make them want to stay.

Strangest thing is, I see Vorm as being far better than anyone Pep would try and buy (his 'style' of keeper), and would suit their system as he's always come across as a sensible keeper with good distribution and excellent all-round abilities. He'd do very well at your Barcas or Reals. Much better than Bravo or Valdez imo.

Where he falls down, in my opinion, and where Lloris excels is not just the "Peter Schmeichel" effect that Lloris has (command and presence), but he doesn't suit the 'sweeper keeper' style of play.

I do really like Vorm though, and he's been outstanding this season just gone.
I agree. But it's a hard one to nail down without actually being part of the team. My guess and that's what it is, if you look at Vorm he is far more vocal than Hugo, now for some people they like to see a player screaming at other players, calling them out after a miss placed pass, may be these people are the ones that do exactly that from the stands. But may be, just may be, our outfield players respond better to Lloris's words/direction than being screamed at?? Or may be Vorm's more vocal approach is seen as panic by some. That to me at least, is one very notable difference you can see in the behaviour of the two keepers. The guess work is what is being said and how it is received by the players.

sammyspurs, Arthur Wensleydale, Tomo, Jenny Talia, Schmood Spurs, Mockers, Norwegian Jim and even Guido have all said Lloris' kicking/distribution is horrible on this very forum, yet most of the time have got an agree.

I get a host of people disagreeing. Funny old game. Not surprising though considering who disagreed.
I'll make my stance clear on his distribution, I might be wrong on this but I think I was the first person to call out his distribution on here, years ago, took a bit a stick for it too. I do not include his miss placed pass last night as part of my criticism, last night was an error, no doubt, it was practically the last kick of the game and should have gone into row Z, preferably close to the halfway line, 2nd the pass itself wasn't well executed. BUT, this is an error, simple as that, it in no way contributes to poor distribution in my eyes, it goes down as an error.

I've been critical specifically with the speed of releasing the ball e.g. either thrown or kicked, he holds onto it when a brake could be on. He accentuates this as he is excellent at claiming crosses, he then, with ball in hand quickly goes to the edge of the his box to playout and see if a brake is on, but he almost never executes it, often stands searching but not seeing what is on. The second thing he does that contributes to poor distribution is his long pass out wide, usually to FB's but could be midfield too, these so often sail over the heads of the intended target.

The short passes to any of the back 3 or 4 or DM are excellent, even when pressed. I also think he makes good decisions on when the pass is too risky and goes long or out to touch (he didn't do that last night). Every keeper, in fact every player, is going to make an error when pressed, it's why you do it, given how many times we are pressed and how few times we are forced into an actual error, it's not worth discussing. It get's discussed because British football fans still live in the 70's and have the smallest dicks, the only people shitting themselves when playing out from the back are those sitting around me in the stands, for some bizarre reason they still want the keeper to do a Schmichel and hoof it up field, then moan about Leicester's style of play. (Everyone, press too, ripped into Bravo for his ability to playing out, fact is he was one of the very best at doing it, he was very, very poor shot stopper, but he could play out with his feet very well).

You got a disagree from me because of this statement "That's absolutely embarrassing from Lloris. There is a reason he's with us and not one of the elite. That's the reason". I like you as a poster, however you let yourself down with way over the top statements, either someone is the best in the world or they are the worst in the World. I can't be bothered to look but I bet you have called Lloris World class on here before, if you have then it makes statements like that ridiculous. If he did that every game then fair enough but I think there would be little debate about his abilities if he does that every game.

What goalkeeper (ever) didn't commit mistakes?

As people has said, GKs like Neuer and Lloris almost never make mistakes, but when they do it does like terrible. I can tell you I have seen Neuer do plenty of mistakes and Buffon too, and those are the current No 1 and 2 in the world imho.
True, but I feel Lloris makes more then them, hence not being as good as them.

Speaking as someone who remembers Bobby Mimms, I think this debate is nonsense. Hugo is world class, end of.
Add Barry Daines into the mix and you'll realise that except for Pat Jennings, and at a push Ray Clemence* ...Lloris is the best we've had since Ted Ditchburn!

*I'm putting Erik the Viking and Paul Robinson into their own separate category of; "Very decent keepers who appeared to be better than they were due to their Cult status!"

We have "European Elite" potential, but have yet prove it. Recent CL and EL results were not elite.
Gent? Bayern Leverkusen? Ugh.
Someone didn't tell our trophy cabinet we are an european elite.
I think lloris is a very good keeper & we are lucky to have him.
I think we are just fortunate that no better & bigger team has come in for him.
He is good enough to be earning more & winning medals.
He seems to have a likeable personality too.
Surprised PSG have never made a move for him.

Its funny this "elite" stuff....is there a mark that defines when your historic success becomes obsolete?
Other clubs seem free to delve into the past to substantiate their status, but not Spurs, a club who have won a trophy in every decade since 1900 bar three. The three that happened to involve World Wars 1 and 2.

Are Liverpool still an elite European club?
Are Woolwich, who have never won a European trophy an elite European side?
Are Dortmund? Who have less European trophies than Spurs, elite? Or just a selling club that lit up the CL once?
City..? hahahahaha
Juve? Haven won a Euro title for nearly 30 years and lost seven finals on the spin....relegated for match fixing.....allowing Ultras to run a black market on illegal ticket sales....

If you want to talk elite European clubs, then its Real setting down the marker. Name the clubs that come close.

Its funny this "elite" stuff....is there a mark that defines when your historic success becomes obsolete?
Other clubs seem free to delve into the past to substantiate their status, but not Spurs, a club who have won a trophy in every decade since 1900 bar three. The three that happened to involve World Wars 1 and 2.

Are Liverpool still an elite European club?
Are Woolwich, who have never won a European trophy an elite European side?
Are Dortmund? Who have less European trophies than Spurs, elite? Or just a selling club that lit up the CL once?
City..? hahahahaha
Juve? Haven won a Euro title for nearly 30 years and lost seven finals on the spin....relegated for match fixing.....allowing Ultras to run a black market on illegal ticket sales....

If you want to talk elite European clubs, then its Real setting down the marker. Name the clubs that come close.
I don't see why it matters to be honest, United and City are probably closer to being 'elite' clubs than us but we've finished above them two years in a row. I would say the elite clubs in world football right now are Barca, Real, Juve and Bayern. These are the teams that have a real chance of winning the Champions League with huge European pedigree and consistently are challenging for their league titles.

Back
Top Bottom