Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

‘My frustration is even more personal’ - Hugo on Chelsea 22 August 2017 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com

Quite big of him to come out basically admit he fucked it up. You very rarely see footballers every say "i did a wrong". I respect him even more now.
He saved our arses many times before but I guess people tend to forget good things much easier than bad ones? He's our captain, he could have gone to a bigger club a couple of years ago but decided to stay so we are all happy because we've got him committed, now we gonna discuss this mistake weeks in row as if he lost the World Cup for us? (Wet Spam lol :llorishowudoin:) We lost the game, that's it, we move on. Very good players lost more important games than this one because of one mistake.

GOAT Hugo picture.

FdLZfbb.jpg

Another miraculous escape from yet another awful kick out.
We've got away with it so many times it's gonna cost us big time one day....
Love the guy, but his kicking/passing really lets him down.

I was on my couch at home and literally stood up and screamed "WHAT THE FUCK?!" when he kicked the ball into Sanchez. He had some fantastic saves, but fuck me was that a heart stopping moment.

Love him to bits as a shot stopper, but Christ on a bike his kicking is as bad now as it was 4 years ago. Got away with that, thankfully not away v Dortmund and leading to a goal. Hopefully next time he'll blast to the side or play a simple pass (Davies was available yesterday). As an oppo manager I'd order my front men to pressurise him at every opportunity, sooner or later a team will get a cheap goal.

So frustrating when you see a player do the hard things well (worldie saves, great pace off his line and last ditch tackles), and then fuck up on the simple ones. Does he practice? He's so bad there's no evidence he does, but we're so professional as a unit I can't believe that they're not trying to improve glaring weaknesses like this.

Love him to bits as a shot stopper, but Christ on a bike his kicking is as bad now as it was 4 years ago. Got away with that, thankfully not away v Dortmund and leading to a goal. Hopefully next time he'll blast to the side or play a simple pass (Davies was available yesterday). As an oppo manager I'd order my front men to pressurise him at every opportunity, sooner or later a team will get a cheap goal.

So frustrating when you see a player do the hard things well (worldie saves, great pace off his line and last ditch tackles), and then fuck up on the simple ones. Does he practice? He's so bad there's no evidence he does, but we're so professional as a unit I can't believe that they're not trying to improve glaring weaknesses like this.

Problem is nowadays a keeper is expected to be the last line of defence and everything that goes with it, and be a competent outfield player. The World has fapped itself into hysterics about Neuer and everything is related back to him. Hugo's biggest weakness is that at times he's not fully focussed on the job in hand and is a bit lax. Tuesday night was one example, but not knowing where his near post was against Chelsea was another.

The position is changing so much, when I played I loved that a goalkeeper was an extra outfield player, loved the shot stopping part, but enjoyed coming out of my area and showing I could play too. Goalkeepers are a rare breed and it's very rare you find one perfect. Even De Gea who everyone loves still has a weakness low down close to his body, but you can see he has worked on it.

Even De Gea who everyone loves still has a weakness low down close to his body, but you can see he has worked on it.

I think that's the key here, nobody is having a personal go at Lloris, he's a shining example of a professional and seems to be well respected by the team. I don't want to see him dropped.

As fans we're seeing this weakness with his feet and kicking time after time which doesn't seem to be improving.

I can only assume coaching would help here, perhaps they are working on it or maybe the keeper coaches aren't able to help improve this skill as it's not something they are used to. With De Gea his issue was a keeping problem to solve so probably easier to resolve. Lloris might benefit from outfield coaching... How does Poch even approach this? Tell his keeping coach he needs someone else to assist? Can of worms but it can't carry on, it will draw more pressure onto the defence as the opposition look to capitalise. They need to think chasing the keep down is a lost cause not a way to grab a cheeky goal.

I can only assume coaching would help here, perhaps they are working on it or maybe the keeper coaches aren't able to help improve this skill as it's not something they are used to. With De Gea his issue was a keeping problem to solve so probably easier to resolve. Lloris might benefit from outfield coaching... How does Poch even approach this? Tell his keeping coach he needs someone else to assist? Can of worms but it can't carry on, it will draw more pressure onto the defence as the opposition look to capitalise. They need to think chasing the keep down is a lost cause not a way to grab a cheeky goal.

You're right about De Gea, his problem was he was so lanky that he had to work on getting his body out of the way quicker or use his feet more. Hugo's problem is a bit different to that in that it's decision based more than an actual skill. We know he can be good with the ball at his feet, Tuesday night's near calamity came because the player was too close to him, and there were two players directly in front of him. In hindsight his best bet was to take the ball to his right, use Davinson as a shield and create a clear pass. That's something that's hard to teach as the mind resorts back to initial reaction. If he starts to lose his near post a a Chelsea on a more regular basis, then that is a bigger problem. Hopefully, that was just a blip.

Back
Top Bottom