Home Opener (vs. Stoke), 15 Aug, 15:00 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know we were 2-0 up and shouldnt be drawing but :

1) no Rose in the starting XI and after last year other than Kane was our best outfield player
2) still playing a centrehalf in DM, obvious need for a signing there
3) no back up for Kane after his injury

So all in all hampered from the start. I can only hope what is utterly obvious to me is obvious to the management and will be sorted out in next couple of weeks

This was a bummer. I thought in the first half we were finally showing the style that Poch has been trying implement. Pressing high and winning the ball high up the field keeping the pressure on. The second half we came out playing not to lose rather than sticking with what was working. We sat back and invited the pressure when I think we would have been better served by staying the course.

Last edited:
That's how far Sammy traveled on his victory lap after Stoke got the equalizer. Don't know what it must be like to be a 'fan' of a club but only take enjoyment from our failures. You should just give it up and get yourself that woolwich shirt. You'd fit right in

Not enjoying it at all. Im fucking livid along with the people who KNEW what our problems were going to be 6wks ago, and who knew that Poch was, and is still a manager with massive question marks over his head.

You question my loyalty like a true cunt, because it makes you feel better about how fucking clueless you truely are about Spurs.

Close your eyes, and clap your hands like a good little boy.

It's unfortunate we don't have another player with the vision Kane has, two great passes one which led to a goal, another that should have been. It's too bad we don't have someone feeding him the ball like that.

beat u to it. praying i see some posts from u of new signings this week
Oh, sorry ... must've missed it.
And yeah, I'm completely with you on this. Indeed, Spursy is such a cringing word!

It's like some people even kinda like using it. "Spursy this ... Spursy that" ... FFS. I freaking hate how (part of) our great club's name is used as a negative adjective. I mean, it's so overused that it's becoming synonymous. Like that some people just expect something Spursy to happen because it's Spurs playing.

It's definitely not something to be proud of. And it's definitely not who we are (as a club), or our history.
Screw the twat who came up with it and started this thing!

#SorryRantOver

If we don't bring in another out to out striker beside N'Jie, better prepare to bring Ade back into the fold. If someone as shit as Lamela could play, then Ade should also be playing too.

Thought we set up well and played with the system and style that we should have in the first half.

Dier and Mason played very well in the centre, working very hard and closing players / space constantly. Dembele was also solid and I quite like him in that attacking 3.

Second half, Stoke changed it up, we did not adapt at all to this, then Kane was subbed due to cramp and shit hit the fan.

Lamela was utter wank to be honest, and we changed the 3 attacking midfielders around, pushing Eriksen out left which ruined any cohesion that we had. In all it was a shocking sub, even if forced. It ruined the game and lost us the points. We absolutely must have another striker in before Leicester, who look very good right now.

Hopefully pritchard coming into the squad will mean Lamela won't be that first option off the bench...

We shall see.

had to find the most prominent totty forum after that performance...first time poster. Ive always tried to give Lamela the benefit of the doubt as he was/is young...in retrospect MP should have probably inserted Trippier wide right to provide a bit more of the defensive presence to close out the game.
I can certainly see the reasoning behind people suggesting Lamela only plays centrally when inserted. However, the way we rotate those 3 attacking mid positions he would certainly find himself out wide on many occasion anyways. As a guy who played the majority of my days at LM/LB I cant help but be absolutely appalled at the atrocious angles he takes closing down in the corner areas with Walker and both boundaries around him. Lastly whenever he gets himself stuck in at all he puts his hands up like he's playing defense in basketball. This only ever attracts the referees attention even more and he gives up soft fouls. he's an attacking mid but you must provide SOMETHING going the other way, he's a professional after all.

If we don't bring in another out to out striker beside N'Jie, better prepare to bring Ade back into the fold. If someone as shit as Lamela could play, then Ade should also be playing too.

Or Lennon. After two full seasons now, is Lamela actually an improvement on Lennon?

:lennon:

Not enjoying it at all. Im fucking livid along with the people who KNEW what our problems were going to be 6wks ago, and who knew that Poch was, and is still a manager with massive question marks over his head.

You question my loyalty like a true cunt, because it makes you feel better about how fucking clueless you truely are about Spurs.

Close your eyes, and clap your hands like a good little boy.
You knew we needed a striker? Wow, you're a fucking genius. I've been saying that for at least two years.
But it is what it is, you can either except the reality of the situation. Or you can be a whiny little bitch; blame the players, the management, the owners, other fans and cry like a little baby every week. It is clear which path you choose to take.

i'll post this again:
----------Kane-----------
Ayew- Eriksen - Shaquiri
------Cabaye-Dembele---

Chadli, lamela, Mason, Bentaleb..ect are simply not good enough. we can't keep beating them with a stick. It is levy and co who have failed to bring in decent players when they were on the market.

So, I was unable to watch the match live - was genuinely forced to watch old people play Bowles instead (for reasons).

Don't particularly want to watch MOTD now, though may still do if it helps me gauge how our players got on.

From the sound of it, our problems today aren't specifically solved by N'Jie (with the exception of playing someone other than Lamela from the bench?).

Was this match a case of us playing so well at first that it makes the result even more disappointing?

I'm going to try to stick to some positives, so I apologize in advance if that offends anyone.

- Dier really continues to be a surprise in a positive way. It really helps having another big body in the middle of the field. Really paid off on the corner kick today. He has a knack for free kick goals.

- Mason looked excellent. His forward runs into the box were a plus, unlucky to score, and you have to love the willingness to throw his body into tackles and in front of shots. Great box to box play from him today.

- Chadli really woke up after his goal. Frustrating player at times, but he really can influence a game when he's feeling it.

- Nice to see Davies get forward on Chadli's goal. You can tell he's hesitant to bomb forward because he lacks the pace to get back, but he still needs to get forward. It was a great cross.

- Kane, I said it earlier. The box score won't show the influence he had on the game. Could have had 2 assist and a goal on a luckier day

- Dembele - it took awhile but it seems like he's really trying to get on the front foot. Bonus that he latest the entire 90 today. When was the last time that happend?

The disappointing:

Bentaleb - Not sure what's going on here. Such a bright player last season. I'm not sure if he's trying to do too much out there, but he's been extremely careless and caught out of position. Hopefully this improves, because with Mason's lack of fitness, Dier is our most dependable CM at this moment. Scary stuff.

Toby - such a disappointing penalty to give away. Totally unnecessary. Still think he and Jan will be an excellent partnership, but in that situation you expect better.

Lamela - it's all been said. Yikes. But it's not his fault we lost today. People are using him as a scapegoat.
----------------------------------------

I Stil see a lot of people blaming Poch. He got the Lamela substation wrong no doubt, but I'm not sure what his other option was when Kane had to come off. If we had another striker on the bench. He would move up top, Chadli on the right and Lamela isn't the train wreck we saw today.

Also, 2 goals up vs Stoke at home. The players need to take some accountability. To me this one is on them. Totally broke down after Toby's penalty.

Back
Top Bottom